New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Killer 11 wrote:this quality stuff kepp it up
Killer 11, what happened to your water tower? It was good itself. Any updates? You may want to claim it on the wiki page if so.
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

if i still have it i might resume it
but i won;t do texturing coz uv maping is something i have no knowlage of
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

2000 Replies...

Post by maquinista »

2000 Replies... :P
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

ooo...just realize that berberjesus's model of the 2 austrian looking houses, are put under the 2 bungaloes on the wiki. (Called 1x1 2 compact cottages) Its a great model, but nothing like the two bungaloes, and I wasn't awair that it was supposed to be. Can it not be its own seperate model?
Ben
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Try moving it to "new structures". It's new, isn't it?

Do you think you could try these two by any chance?
Image Image

They really capture the "industrial town" effect.
Telekoman
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Telekoman »

Those graphics are great dude!! Keep them comming! 8)
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Born Acorn: I'll try working on one of them tommorw, but I don't think they can be anyway justified as realisic if they remain 3 small houses, because they will be tiny (1 room houses), I might have to weld them togehter or something, they would still be small, but not the quintisential industrial workers house I think. (2 up 2 down, in a set)
Ben
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Ah, I see. Maybe replace them with those thin terraces with longish gardens?

Image Sized?
Pendrokar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pendrokar »

Born Acorn wrote:Ah, I see. Maybe replace them with those thin terraces with longish gardens?
Sized?
Are those houses in England? All the same in a line. (don't mind this post, my post)
Field-Mouse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Field-Mouse »

Ehm, according to me, those houses look like they have stores on the streetlevel, and apartments above them.
Sorta like these, but newer: (the one on the right)
http://www.batangabee.com/travel/images ... street.jpg
BTW, that pic is from the town where I live.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Each house is quite thin, and small, and would have been built by mining companies for the miner and his family. No indoor plumbing when they were built, of course.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

More terrace houses (though usually they have the same colour roofs, other aspects of them may change like in this photo - particularly doors and windows):

There weren't just built by mining companies, most major cities are filled with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrace_house - Wikipedia has more details for those interested.

Might be interesting to get some long tile-able terrace houses graphics assest. That way you could build an entire varied "street" from them in-game. Just an idea.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Born Acorn wrote:Each house is quite thin, and small, and would have been built by mining companies for the miner and his family. No indoor plumbing when they were built, of course.
Not just miners, but any worker during the industrial revolution. Shipbuilders were housed like this in the city where I live, and Brunel's railway workers in Swindon, likewise.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Well yes, but my mindset was on my local area, for some reason. :P
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Well I worked on the first of the two this evening, and its had to be changed quite a bit casue of the really unrealistically tiny houses in the original, although I aslo changed the dark red house so as to make them work better as a set, and that wasnt an essential change. Should I have..hmm?...I also forgot to remove ottis, so thats not supposed to be a scarcrow or anything...
Attachments
all 4.PNG
all 4.PNG (309.9 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
Ben
Gorre
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Gorre »

Hello again, it has been a quite long time I have made anything in Blender. Accidentaly, I had to spent two weeks on my cottage and Blender was the only thing that kept me alive (as well as an old Commando movie ... erm ..).

Well, some of you might remember my old oil rig project, which I have abandoned for lack of reality. I liked it anyway, so i decided to use it as a basis and remake it to look like a weird water supply. Well, it lacks a reality a bit, but I really dont care, I have never seen a real water supply anyway ...

:arrow: Features

4 construction phases + final render.
1024, 2048 and 4096 px (4096 is was too big and its useless as it would take tons of memory, I made it only for my personal pleasure)

:arrow: What needs to be done.

Only some minor eyecandy stuff is needed, like some pretty caterpillars, small cranes, workers hostels and so on ...

Because of 3 attachments/post im posting first two constructing phases here (1024x1024):

http://www.gorre.info/blender/water_supply/water_supply_construction_a_1024.png (you might need to scroll it down)

http://www.gorre.info/blender/water_supply/water_supply_construction_b_1024.png

You can find the rest of my attempts as well as some higher resolutions render there.
Attachments
water_supply_construction_c_1024.png
Phase 3
(503.27 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
water_supply_construction_d_1024.png
Phase 4
(494.14 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
water_supply_construction_finished_1024.png
Phase 5
(522.5 KiB) Downloaded 666 times
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote:Well I worked on the first of the two this evening, and its had to be changed quite a bit casue of the really unrealistically tiny houses in the original, although I aslo changed the dark red house so as to make them work better as a set, and that wasnt an essential change. Should I have..hmm?...I also forgot to remove ottis, so thats not supposed to be a scarcrow or anything...
Wow. They are amazing. It really captures the feeling of the game.

re the water plant, compared with Ottis, the scale of that water supply looks way off, It looks as if it was meant to hold chemicals or oil, not water. I would also expect a water supply to be less tall and be less factory looking. A water supply would generally be a Water Treatment plant, since they both treat water to the required standard.

Check out this picture. It shows a water treatment plant. It takes water from the ground (an aquifier), or a river or other source, and cleans it into the drinking water standard. It also works the other way around. Water treatment plants are very open and green, with grass fields surrounding different components of the plant. Additonally, the pipes are usually kept underground, inside passageways, or just buried. The plants themselves have little clutter, and are kept to the cleanest standard.

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, especially after you seem to have worked hard on the Water Supply, but it just seems to look out of place for a water supply. However, you did say you'd never seen a water supply before, so there that might be why. It would make an excellent Oil Well or Oil Rig component though.

Don't get me wrong, It's an impressive model, and it looks really good, but it doesn't look like a water supply/water treatment plant. Usually it would have white pipes, for example, to signify water.
Gorre
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Gorre »

Of course you are right Born Acorn, I always knew that no water supply looks like this mine. I knew its looking more like an oil rig, no wonder, it was made originally as an oil rig, but I wanted to make construction phases and the factory itself in the way its done ... which is ... pretty unsuitable for real process of an oil rig construction.

So the deal I had was to choose the right name for it and I have failed in that, I really dont know what does it fit most (if you have in mind construction as well), maybe some kind of oil rafinery, where the raw oil is taken to ... whatever.

Anyway, I'm really grateful to you Born Acorn for your suggestions.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

What about an Oil Refinery? Since Crazy_Vaclav, it's been free again. Your model would make a perfect storage area. All you'd need is some freestanding tanks, and those towers with the flames. (Including the fractional distillator).
Gorre
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Gorre »

Nice idea, that wouldnt be a big problem, freestanding tanks could be made as a seperate structure, I will look for some material for these as well as for distillators in next day. Thanks Born Acorn.

Return to “Graphics Development”