Three New Airports

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ebik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ebik »

richk67 wrote:OK... since Type 3 was so popular, I have stopped work on it. Here is a new design, where the passengers get bussed to their aircraft like at holiday airports (eg. Mahon on Menorca), rather than the aircraft docking with a building.

This allows an interesting aircraft operation: they arrive at the terminal pad from one side - but leave to the opposite side. This way it keeps a strict path through the airport, which should avoid conflicts, or long waits.

I will need a new hangar design though, that points to the NE (if vertical is N). Any artists want to volunteer?

Comments? Worth coding? Would you use it?
I like this most of the four. I think that 90 degree rotation graphics will be also nice, since for these airports it matters which is the long side.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

sjabby wrote:i dont understand the compiling thingy is there another way to get this airport to work on my system?
Well, the type 3 airport isnt coded yet (and I may switch to coding the Type 4 instead). Only the first 3 airports are really ready for use, and they may have a chance of making the nightly release if people make a nice noise about it to the devs.

Short answer, no, not yet.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
ebik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ebik »

richk67 wrote:OK... since Type 3 was so popular, I have stopped work on it. Here is a new design, where the passengers get bussed to their aircraft like at holiday airports (eg. Mahon on Menorca), rather than the aircraft docking with a building.

This allows an interesting aircraft operation: they arrive at the terminal pad from one side - but leave to the opposite side. This way it keeps a strict path through the airport, which should avoid conflicts, or long waits.

I will need a new hangar design though, that points to the NE (if vertical is N). Any artists want to volunteer?

Comments? Worth coding? Would you use it?
ebik wrote:I like this most of the four. I think that 90 degree rotation graphics will be also nice, since for these airports it matters which is the long side.
Hmm, you can implement one runway (but two taxiways!) alternative for this :), then you can make it with current depot only...
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

ebik wrote:Hmm, you can implement one runway (but two taxiways!) alternative for this :), then you can make it with current depot only...
Err - if you mean rotate by 90, so that the depot can be used .... great only need all new runway sprites then. ;)

One runway airports are very well catered for. (Small, City, Commuter). The two dual runway airports take a lot of space as a square. This is trying something different. Maybe a 3 width airport is just too restrictive.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I like very much airports type 1, 4 and 4b.
Some work should be done to avoid sharing both in and out taxiways (1 and 4b), but I hope you (we :) ) get it solved
ebik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ebik »

I like also 4b more than 4, because I use no helicopters. But I have another question, given that we somehow polish the state mashine instead of giving it away, what about defining 'actions' for airport (i.e. state machine definition in grf file - then airports will be in grf instead of patch... :) ). I'm not grf guru, I know grf only from user point, but I see no problem in implementing such feature.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

ebik wrote:I like also 4b more than 4, because I use no helicopters. But I have another question, given that we somehow polish the state mashine instead of giving it away, what about defining 'actions' for airport (i.e. state machine definition in grf file - then airports will be in grf instead of patch... :) ). I'm not grf guru, I know grf only from user point, but I see no problem in implementing such feature.
Coding the airports into newgrf files is the next project. I just wanted to bash out a few more airports first, since I understand the current system at the moment.
Firework Photography
CopperCAT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CopperCAT »

Could you also make it possible to "attach" multiple airports to each other like we can do now with bus stations? That would come in very handy when expanding existing airports.
Hairysteed
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hairysteed »

Better yet, have the ability to compose your own airport out of existing tiles, si that every airport could be made different according to their needs.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

CopperCAT wrote:Could you also make it possible to "attach" multiple airports to each other like we can do now with bus stations? That would come in very handy when expanding existing airports.
Nope. I dont really think thats possible. The airports have a whole load of pre-programmed movements for the vehicles (unlike railway stations/bus stations), and you would need a way for one location to have multiple state machines and movement data. This would be a major rewrite - just not possible in the foreseeable future.
Firework Photography
Dune
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dune »

Hi :)

These airports looks awsome!!

Can someone tell me EXACTLY what to do to implement this to my openttd folder? Ive never done this kind of thing before so it would be nice if some of you tell me step by step in newbie-form :)

and richk67: Awsome work! :D
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Dune wrote:Hi :)

These airports looks awsome!!

Can someone tell me EXACTLY what to do to implement this to my openttd folder? Ive never done this kind of thing before so it would be nice if some of you tell me step by step in newbie-form :)

and richk67: Awsome work! :D
Ive updated this patch to include 3 further airports. (see the 6 new airports thread).

To install it, you will need to download the current source code, install a C compiler, apply the patch, and then compile. The wiki can help with all of these depending on your platform.

For Windows users, I personally use TortoiseSVN to download the source code & to install the patch. I use MingW32 as the C compiler.
Firework Photography
badut78
Engineer
Engineer

Post by badut78 »

richk67 wrote:
richk67 wrote:OK... another thing to hunt ;) I will check whether this is a savegame issue for trunk or whether it is just the airports patch that suffers.
OK, found that one. There is a new feature which assumes that if a station tile has not been assigned (which for an existing game it wont have been), that it is a Buoy tile. I now explicitly check for a Buoy, and if not, return an AIRPORT tile. Not great, but then, the new code aggressively assumes the data state.

Anyway ....

FINISHED! The airport now selects the nearest terminal group, so aircraft landing at left dont now taxi all around the airport to terminal 1. I have run this for 20+ game years, with 40 aircraft, and no visible collisions/hangs/etc.

New patch posted in original thread.
Sorry to resurrect this thread.
richk67, this assertion failure is happening in a recent nightly (r5463).
Is this unexpected or have I logged a bug that is already known?
http://bugs.openttd.org/task/241
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

badut78 wrote:Sorry to resurrect this thread.
richk67, this assertion failure is happening in a recent nightly (r5463).
Is this unexpected or have I logged a bug that is already known?
http://bugs.openttd.org/task/241
Good report.

The second is a known problem, with a known solution. I just need to implement it.
mart3p wrote:To reproduce this bug, select the "Query" tool and click on the wind sack of an Intercontinental airport. Keep clicking (you have to hit the last frame of the animation) and you will get an assert "IsBuoy_(t)"

The problem is in station_map.h. The enum for new graphics has the code:
Code:
GFX_WINDSACK_INTERCON_LAST = 167,
GFX_BASE_END = 167

GFX_BASE_END should be 168
I suspect your first may also be related to it.
Firework Photography
Hazelrah
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hazelrah »

I'm pretty sure they are the same bug. I was running the debugger yesterday while working on a patch and decided to check this out. They look the same to me at the break point.

-Hazelrah
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Hazelrah wrote:I'm pretty sure they are the same bug. I was running the debugger yesterday while working on a patch and decided to check this out. They look the same to me at the break point.

-Hazelrah
Good. Problem should be fixed by a commit yesterday by Truelight.
Firework Photography
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

richk67, got my pm? :?
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Lord wrote:richk67, got my pm? :?
Err... had to check... yes. Im afraid Im not much help. I dont know a thing about the internals of how original TTD or Patch handle the states. Most of your PM went way over my head!! :) I'll take another look tomorrow, and see if there is anything I can help you with.
Firework Photography
Snuk the Great
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Snuk the Great »

Hairysteed wrote:Better yet, have the ability to compose your own airport out of existing tiles, si that every airport could be made different according to their needs.
Hmm, wouldn´t something like this fix the ´aircraft are to easy´ problem. Because if you could compose your own airport like you can with your train stations, you can make things fair again.

On the other hand, it would probable be rather difficult. Well just brainstorming here as well ;).
Snuk the Great
Hazelrah
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hazelrah »

Snuk,

I did think simmilarly too. My mistake:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=465311#465311

-Hazelrah

Return to “OpenTTD Development”