Smoother realistic_acceleration

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

1.3 and possible higher version will be in this post:

In 1.3 the 90° and 45° decelerations are smoother.
Attachments
real_acceleration_sz_1-3_r3091.patch
diff for source r3091 (and up)
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

you know what would be nice?

the ability to choose what type of accelerations are used for what type of situations.

for example, you might want everything to go flat out all the time, so, un-effected by corners, while using new acceleration for bridges and slopes.

or you might want a challenge, and have everything effected by the acceleration, plus the old style on bridges and slopes where they slow down to go uphill.
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

bobingabout wrote:you know what would be nice?

the ability to choose what type of accelerations are used for what type of situations.
I bet real life railway engineers are nodding in agreement. It *would* be nice. Thing is, for gameplay purposes, it doesn't make sense to me to make acceleration more realistic only where convenient.

In any case, real trains slow down for corners that they easily could travel round much, much faster. The reason is that many cargos, especially passengers, wouldn't fare well with being thrown around like that.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

You both, bobingabout and Brianetta, are only half right, are taking into account only half of the OpenTTD simulation.

In any case and again - please take into account the speed of passage of time in OTTD when complaining about some aspect of the game, especially the speed of vehicles. Let's not waste any more time around this, shall we?
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Which aspect of the game was I complaining about? I was just responding to bobingabout (or so I believed at the time).
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

erm, yes, and i was only sugesting that you make what is more realistic than other parts "Player costomisable". instead of just "On or Off".

also, the speed of time is a variable, with "sacro's daylenth patch" :P
*thats a scientific fact, mixed with an advertisement, to make a true statement :lol: *
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

:D

Ok, well - no problem I'll make it more customisable - that's a great idea for every patch. I just wanted to point out what even developers sometimes completely disgard - the relation between game_dimensions....in any case it can totally destroy the mainy great balance Chris Sawyer managed to create. ;)

The day_lenght patch is mainly a day_tick varying patch, which is funny in a way because all things are bound to that - industry can have productions a few thousands tonnes per month if the value is increased. :)
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

the current implementation simply makes the date pass slower.

later versions would include the ability to change other things, such as vehicle running costs, and profits. to instead of making the game last longer, simply slow it down.

and it apears i've stollen your topic, sorry for that.
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!

[/url]
CombatWombat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CombatWombat »

bobingabout wrote:the current implementation simply makes the date pass slower.

later versions would include the ability to change other things, such as vehicle running costs, and profits. to instead of making the game last longer, simply slow it down.

and it apears i've stollen your topic, sorry for that.
Really I think somebody should take the time to sit down and re-scale EVERYTHING. We know on average 2 train cars fit in a tile, so we can figure out a typical length for a train carriage and therefor give meaningful dimensions to the tiles. Google is showing about 70 feet (21.34m) for the length of a locomotive. Maybe round it to 75ft, making a tile a nice 150ft on each side. (Or round to a nice metric number if the internal code is done that way).

So now a typical train doing 150mph covers 220ft/s, or about a tile and a half per second. Unfortunately this shows that everything will be a blur even with the game running in 'real time' (where playing from 1950-2050 will require your grand children to take over). So a trade-off needs to be made somewhere, I suppose.

if you're going to steal a topic, may as well do it right, eh?
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

CombatWombat wrote:So now a typical train doing 150mph covers 220ft/s, or about a tile and a half per second. Unfortunately this shows that everything will be a blur even with the game running in 'real time' (where playing from 1950-2050 will require your grand children to take over). So a trade-off needs to be made somewhere, I suppose.
Not sure what you mean by "a blur" - a tile and a half per second on the straight flat is exactly what a Gresley A4 is doing in a game I'm spectating. Its speed is between 99 and 101 km/h and frankly, it looks like it's going much faster than that for its scale. The Stanier Jubilee at 112km/h goes at nearly 2 squares per second.

Your back-of-the-envelope figures seem to be pretty much spot on - it wuold need the in-game models to actually slow down a tad, which in my opinion is a good thing. (:
CombatWombat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CombatWombat »

Brianetta wrote: Not sure what you mean by "a blur" - a tile and a half per second on the straight flat is exactly what a Gresley A4 is doing in a game I'm spectating. Its speed is between 99 and 101 km/h and frankly, it looks like it's going much faster than that for its scale. The Stanier Jubilee at 112km/h goes at nearly 2 squares per second.

Your back-of-the-envelope figures seem to be pretty much spot on - it wuold need the in-game models to actually slow down a tad, which in my opinion is a good thing. (:
I think I got ahead of myself and started thinking what they would be looking like if the game pace was set to something 'playable'. Like 1950->2050 in a few hours time.

I bet their current animation speed IS roughly scale. Just the time elapses at a rate of several days/second, instead of...well... a second every real second.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Now stop whining about scale already and start making your own patch, if you're so unhappy with the game, or even better - stop playing it, as it looks, that you've got completely bored with it :!:

And one last thing - STOP hijacking this topic. It's about acceleration patch/tweak and not whatever you dream about whenever you're bored with the game, comprende :?:
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Updated to the source r3256...
Attachments
real_acceleration_sz_1-3_r3256.patch
diff
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
webfreakz.nl
Director
Director
Location: Localhost, 127.0.0.1, [The Netherlands: South Holland-> Westland]

Post by webfreakz.nl »

Nothing much changed?
But I will merge it ;)
# Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life. (Michael Sinz)
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

:D

Well - I think this behaviour is quite alright with regards to real world and OTTD time passage, so no changes. :)
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

----> r5147

Post by SirkoZ »

Updated to source r5147 (and beyond)...and...it's 2.0 now although the same code as in 1.5, but has been thoroughly tested by me and in mini_Integrated build online - performs smoothly!! :)

New curve and depot speeds, based not only on rail_type, but also on max_speed of the train.

Also added is a nice accessory - my type of original vehicle names' file based on the TTOriginal, different trucks and also speed fixes for Leyland Leopard bus (like in TTO) and quite a few locomotives. :mrgreen:
r5461 for nightly, r5477M for Mini_Integrated_nightly...
Attachments
real_acceleration_sz_2-0_r5478.patch
diff for nightly source
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
origveh_and_loco_hp_speed_r5461.patch
diff
(18.04 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
real_acceleration_sz_2-0_r5147_mini-IN.patch
diff for mini-IN source
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
Last edited by SirkoZ on 09 Jul 2006 22:43, edited 10 times in total.
webfreakz.nl
Director
Director
Location: Localhost, 127.0.0.1, [The Netherlands: South Holland-> Westland]

Post by webfreakz.nl »

Thx, i was building a new compiled openttd 8)
# Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life. (Michael Sinz)
namor82
Engineer
Engineer

Post by namor82 »

@SirkoZ

Hello,

can you tell me how can I integrate you 3 Patches in OTTD 0.47 ? Or should I wait for 0.48, will they be integrated ?

Thanks for answer.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Well - you can tell me the revision number of 0.4.7 release source and I'll post the patches for 0.4.7...

As for 0.4.8...we'll see...I honestly don't know...

Return to “OpenTTD Development”