Fastest Cargo Train

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

gkirilov
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Fastest Cargo Train

Post by gkirilov »

Which GRF set has the fastest cargo train (with 10cargo wagons +2train)? The train might not be designed for cargo but it should work (like the ICE1)

I've seen that the ICE1 from DBXL - reaches approx. 270km/h with 10+2 config.
The ICE3 doesn't work with cargo(10+2). It can work with less cargo wagons but even then it is not powerful enough to reach the ICE1.

So ..which is the fastet that you've used and what is its speed?
OTTDCoop NewGRF Pack|Different sets of GRFs for TTDPatch (some of them work in OTTD) - 1|- 2|GRF sets for OTTD|OTTD nightly
I hooked up my accelerator to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you. Spoilers and bodykits are how much of the wall you take with you. Rollcages and windownets are how much of a mess you leave on the wall.
HighSpeedCoalTrain
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HighSpeedCoalTrain »

When using the DBSet (without XL), the fastest cargo train possible is a ICE-3, because it is implemented as a dual-head, not as a consist (like in XL).

So, the cargo top speed would be 330 kph.

In addition, the TransRapid 09 (DBSet) can carry goods - top speed 502 kph.

Hint: Wagonspeedlimits of OTTD and DBSetXL don't work good - optional cargo waggons just aren't avalaible (This sucks)
gkirilov
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by gkirilov »

HighSpeedCoalTrain wrote: Hint: Wagonspeedlimits of OTTD and DBSetXL don't work good - optional cargo waggons just aren't avalaible (This sucks)
What do you mean by that? I can see all the cargo wagons of DBXL. There is a switch in the latest nighlies to turn the wagon speed limit on/off.
OTTDCoop NewGRF Pack|Different sets of GRFs for TTDPatch (some of them work in OTTD) - 1|- 2|GRF sets for OTTD|OTTD nightly
I hooked up my accelerator to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you. Spoilers and bodykits are how much of the wall you take with you. Rollcages and windownets are how much of a mess you leave on the wall.
HighSpeedCoalTrain
Engineer
Engineer

There are some optional waggons in DBSetXL, which show only up when waggonspeedlimits are in use.

So, I set Waggonspeedlimits=on and was very upset when it was 1955 and the optional waggons announced for 1950-1952 didn't show up.

This [Bug?] leads to the fact that most of your cargo trains in OTTD/DBSetXL will run at a speed of 80 kph.

Yesterday, I enjoyed another bug - I loaded a scenario, which started in 1960, and when I wanted to build an oil train, the improved tanker from 1940 wasn't available.

So, I will do the following: downgrade to DBSet 0.5, finishing work on the Heavy Cargo Set (25t axle load -> 115t ore/waggon) and creation of the DB Advanced Set - some (fictional) train engines for the 21st century.

Planned Cargo topspeed: 300 kph (Siemens ES100)
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Maybe it would work if you set "wagon_speed_limits = on" ...?

The extra wagons definitely do appear.

However, this won't work in 0.4.0.1, though...
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
HighSpeedCoalTrain
Engineer
Engineer

Hmm.. .
I did this on a nightly and another nightly - and it don't works.
And I hate instable stuff, so I will do what I described. I think I will finish that in March.
hertogjan
Director
Director

Post by hertogjan »

Apparently, the maximum speed of a train is updated only if you change the train in a depot, or load your game. If you wish to get rid of the wagon speed limits, you will have to turn the "Wagon speed limits" patch off, then save your game, and then load it (in that order). This should do the trick by now.
And it is not an unstability; it is a bug, but it doesn't crash the program. However, it is an issue that needs to be fixed. You might be able do it with a function which more or less resets all trains (recalculates speed, power, weight etc.).
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Updating the train's maximum speed isn't much of a problem. However, to do it properly would require the NewGRFs to be reloaded with the changed patch option which, in this case, would end up with different wagons being available. Not really a good idea.

I believe TTDPatch gets around the issue by not letting you change settings from within the game :-)
KING
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by KING »

I don`t get any "extra" things with the waggon sppeds on. I get 3 diffrent tankers with or without.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

On the left is what you get without wagon speed limits, on the right is with them enabled...
Attachments
Mmm, DBSetXL
Mmm, DBSetXL
withwithout.png (18.53 KiB) Viewed 3390 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”