Integrated Nightly Build

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

DaleStan wrote:FYI, the forums accept files up to 2 MB, and both Win-RAR and 7-Zip can pack the source down to about 1.9MB.
For the record, I quietly lifted the limit to 4MB a few days ago, so there shouldn't really be a problem with uploading the full compressed source any more. ;)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Sacro wrote:All a diff is is a comparison to an already existing file.
which if known and available is all that is needed.

What matters is the lifespan of a) the SVN baseline source, and b) the Integrated Nightly diff. If the Integrated Nightly is rebuilt to a newer baseline before the older SVN baseline is deleted, then it is a mute point. The relevant source is, and can reasonably be expected to be, available in the future for the lifespan of the diff.

If only the current nightly is available, and no record is kept of previous revisions, then yes, a full source copy would be needed. Otherwise, its all easily reconstructable.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

richk67 wrote:lay off [FoxAlpha] - he is being helpful to the community
I expect Bjarni would take issue with that statement. People are (or were) fond of reporting bugs in OpenTTD, and then posting an IN save. Since that Bjarni doesn't have a Windows box, he is cannot run the IN, cannot load the save, and therefore cannot determine whether it's an IN bug (as most of them were) or an honest OTTD bug.
richk67 wrote:To me a source is any set of language instructions in a human-readable format. It does NOT need to even compile
That last doesn't apply here. The "you have to provide the source" thing only applies if there's a binary. If it doesn't compile, then there's no binary, and this whole agument is moot. We can go that way if you like, but I don't think that's what you really want.
richk67 wrote:You have a source when you download from the SVN; you have another when you apply each patch.
Comprenez-vous *CONFILCTS*?
I can't apply the patches the way FoxAlpha did, because I can't know how he chose to resolve them.
richk67 wrote:If only the current nightly is available, and no record is kept of previous revisions, then yes, a full source copy would be needed. Otherwise, its all easily reconstructable.
Go reproduce the IN3090 source then. Since you're so certian it's trivial.
The diff files are right here, they're all applied to SVN revision 3090, and that should be all you need, right?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

DaleStan wrote:
richk67 wrote:You have a source when you download from the SVN; you have another when you apply each patch.
Comprenez-vous *CONFILCTS*?
I can't apply the patches the way FoxAlpha did, because I can't know how he chose to resolve them.
True. Which returns to my point that the diff is required *after* all patches have been applied.
DaleStan wrote:
richk67 wrote:If only the current nightly is available, and no record is kept of previous revisions, then yes, a full source copy would be needed. Otherwise, its all easily reconstructable.
Go reproduce the IN3090 source then. Since you're so certian it's trivial.
The diff files are right here, they're all applied to SVN revision 3090, and that should be all you need, right?
I wouldnt want / need to recreate his IN4.55. It already exists. The point is many people want an IN relative to the current nightly.

Its not trivial. Its just not the impossible task you seem to make it out to be. And yes, Im working on creating an up-to-date IN32xx+.

Please note, Im not making a point about reproducing R3090I4.55 for *support* purposes. It should be made really clear that the IN is totally unsupported. If it aint working... go make your own IN and fix that!

BTW - worst out-of-date patch is currently PNGmap. FIOS types have changed, and the structure of the load dialog has been updated...
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Right... first 6 patches sorted. 2 hours... with builds/quick tests between each patch. I will be leaving out the Municipal Airports patch, as this may cause problems with depot servicing. (Unless the problem has been fixed... in which case, please attach new patch.)

I'll see what other patches make it tomorrow.
Firework Photography
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Nice, richk67, that you're continuing the integrated. I'm looking forward to the next build! :D
webfreakz.nl
Director
Director
Location: Localhost, 127.0.0.1, [The Netherlands: South Holland-> Westland]

Post by webfreakz.nl »

richk67 wrote:Right... first 6 patches sorted. 2 hours... with builds/quick tests between each patch. I will be leaving out the Municipal Airports patch, as this may cause problems with depot servicing. (Unless the problem has been fixed... in which case, please attach new patch.)

I think the problem is now, people with your newest IN (without munincipal airports) can't load their older savegames (with muninicipal airports included) ! CMIIAW :)
# Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life. (Michael Sinz)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

webfreakz.nl wrote:
richk67 wrote:Right... first 6 patches sorted. 2 hours... with builds/quick tests between each patch. I will be leaving out the Municipal Airports patch, as this may cause problems with depot servicing. (Unless the problem has been fixed... in which case, please attach new patch.)

I think the problem is now, people with your newest IN (without munincipal airports) can't load their older savegames (with muninicipal airports included) ! CMIIAW :)
To be in the festive mood.... Bah humbug! OK I'll try to put it in... but no guarantees.

Biggest regret so far... trying to integrate the "beyond 2090" patch. Its a blithering nightmare. Changes lots of things everywhere - including savegame format. Im seriously thinking of backing it out and ditching "beyond 2090". Up to that point, I had 11 patches in and working.

Leaving out this patch would mess up the savegames anyway.
Firework Photography
KING
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by KING »

See that the next build is A LOT more stable than the last please.
i would have played the r3090 if it lasted more than 10 min without crash :(
csuke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by csuke »

the latest IN is all i ever play and it's NEVER crashed on me, are you sure you're using the latest version?
KING
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by KING »

...can`t see what it has against 1024*512 maps but with me it only crashs on them. no error messages or anything and i wasn`t doing the same thing each time...
works with other map sizes :)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

If we had the source, I'd suggest posting the emergency save, so someone can load it in a debug version and see what's causing the crash, but the absence of source makes the creation of a debug version difficult at best.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

DaleStan, don't worry. It's richk67 who maintains this fork, not you. You're off the hook. (:

Seriously, the integrated nightly, having as it does more than one patch applied against it, can only be considered fun - not testing. Testing would involve using a build with one patch applied, and one without any. This allows the tester to quickly attempt to replicate a bug on both, to eliminate existing bugs and narrow it down to either the code in the patch, or a bug in the trunk. Adding more patches makes for geometrically more permutations, making finding the culprit, a sod.

I say enjoy the integrated nightly, but don't expect it to be either perfect or fixable if it goes wrong. If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Brianetta wrote:DaleStan, don't worry. It's richk67 who maintains this fork, not you. You're off the hook. (:

Seriously, the integrated nightly, having as it does more than one patch applied against it, can only be considered fun - not testing. Testing would involve using a build with one patch applied, and one without any. This allows the tester to quickly attempt to replicate a bug on both, to eliminate existing bugs and narrow it down to either the code in the patch, or a bug in the trunk. Adding more patches makes for geometrically more permutations, making finding the culprit, a sod.

I say enjoy the integrated nightly, but don't expect it to be either perfect or fixable if it goes wrong. If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
Lol.... maintain nope. I said I'd have a go at creating a new one. Not maintaining it. I would never accept the responsibility for hunting the bugs in OTTD, nor everyone else's patches. It would purely be as is.
If I can unwind the damage 2090+ has done (badly out of date, and frankly a nightmare patch anyway), then I will post an EXE with source. Then if there is a bug, people can debug for themselves.
Firework Photography
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Wonderfull!

I don't think the 2090+ patch is necessary at all, so as far I'm concerned - you can easily release the new version - I'm sure it'll be very welcome. :)
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Don't want this then? heh
Attachments
past2090s.diff
Past 2090 (s)
(47.8 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

peter1138 wrote:Don't want this then? heh
Thanks. I couldnt find it via the Search facility, and the version I had was ... err... problematic ;)
Firework Photography
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

peter1138 wrote:Don't want this then? heh
Meh
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

28th Jan 2006: New Integrated Nightly! Version R3464IN.

Patches:
Signal Gui
PNGmap v10
Diagonal Clearing
Smallmap zoom
Bridge Highlight
Pause on no clients
Realistic Acceleration
Smoke patch
Smooth economy
Past 2090
Aircraft queueing
No tunnels under mines
Auto clean zero
Pause on Dec 31
Dither desert & rocks in Scenario Editor
More Trees (now part of TerraGenesis)
TerraGenesis
Toolbar fix
Yellow signal state
Disable repay loan
Statistics tools
Oil industries anywhere on map
Copy orders from vehicle windows
Town growth patch
Tile quantity calculator

New patches for R3464IN:
No bells on crossings
Sort Vehicle options
Sort Stations
Subsidiaries patch

Now 28 patches.

Here is the windows zip and the IN_COMBINED patch file and its patches as separate files, and the full source code.

BTW... just to make it clear....

Code: Select all

R3464IN is provided AS IS. I make no guarantees it will a) work, b) compile, c) damage your machine, d) be compatible with anything.

Code: Select all

I will NOT support R3464IN on any other platform than win32.
Even on win32, I am not going to spend my time debugging all the patches and OTTD just because someone has a problem with R3464IN. If you can identify the problem, it is repeatable, and it is definitely a coding error caused by my mods to the source patches, then I will modify it. But YOU have to identify what and where, and YOU have to supply the solution.
Attachments
srcR3464IN.zip
OpenTTD R3464IN source code
(2.9 MiB) Downloaded 224 times
openttdR3464IN.zip
OpenTTD R3464IN windows installation.
(1.62 MiB) Downloaded 1588 times
R3464IN_source_patches.zip
Source patches for R3464IN. IN_COMBINED should patch an entire clean SVN R3464 download.
(254.82 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Last edited by richk67 on 28 Jan 2006 14:41, edited 4 times in total.
Firework Photography
webfreakz.nl
Director
Director
Location: Localhost, 127.0.0.1, [The Netherlands: South Holland-> Westland]

Post by webfreakz.nl »

I guess Dalestan means the source of the compilation (in the ZIP file) :)

But I think this is alright too...

Btw: Can people load their old savegames ( from IN4) with this new one?
# Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life. (Michael Sinz)

Return to “General OpenTTD”