New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

MeusH wrote: Here is attached image, which shows the official light+camera setup. You can see camera is looking too high, so changing lens from 240 to 40 makes my sprites render in the bottom part of the image.
could you please send me your file?

what you are saying you really shouldn't be doing. unless your building is "not inside the render" you should not even try changing a setting, especially a setting like Lens when Lens should not need to be touched, infact it would be wrong to touch it because it means you have then deactivated "ortho" mode, which you should have activated.
GORR3 wrote:I think you only need to scale down your model to fit camera's view by SKEY
hmmmm, all modeling should be done to blender units, the model shouldn't be changed down to fit the camera, the camera should be changed to fit the object (only if its multiple tiles).

the settings which can be changed (with care) are.

render size, X*Y 128x128 256*256 512*512 1024*1024 this is only done in conjunction with a camera 'scale' change.

a camera scale change needs to be done in conjunction with the 2 root of 2 table.

Alltaken
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Here it is. In my opinion, empty.003 is just way too high.
Attachments
szyb_biuro.zip
(45.43 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
Burschik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Burschik »

Alltaken wrote: hmmmm, all modeling should be done to blender units, the model shouldn't be changed down to fit the camera, the camera should be changed to fit the object (only if its multiple tiles).
Ah yes. Should the model be centred at the origin? How large should one tile be (in blender units)? And how exactly should I move the camera in order to fit more than one tile in the render window whithout changing any settings than should not be changed? Could you list the coordinates, for example, at which the camera should be positioned in order to render 2x2 and 3x3 tiles?

Cheers
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Meush, don't forget to use the latest blender version (2.37a), since there are changes to the camera making it true ortho instead of faked.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

The new blender works fine, but I still have problems with the camera positioning (too high!). Please take a look at the .zipped .blend file attached above and help me.
ThorRune wrote:
G0RR3 wrote:My current project is Oil Rig remodelling.
I'm having problems with it, because it's too huge and it takes too much time to edit and also to render. I'm making it with construction phases, only first two are completed. You can see my second phase finished as attachment and source of unfinished third (rendering it in full resolution would take hours on my PC), if you want it.
Sorry, but the constructions phrases are totally wrong. Oil rigs are made on land first, then towed out! It loogs good, but it can't be used :(
I've seen in TV magazine about water units, that one was about oil rigs.
Huge parts of the platform are originated from around the world, then they are being transported to its destination point using the biggest carriers and ship cranes.

The most important part is, that oil rig is not fixed to the sea bed!!! It is floating on the water and it uses powerful diesel engines to move if this is obligatory. Only the massive sea anchor is being dropped to the bottom.

So consider there are no concerte piles built into the ground below sea. Whole platform is floating!

Also there are no catwalk-like structures with flames at the end, as you could see in TT\TTD. Or at least not in the oil rigs present in TV
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

Meush, i think you mean it is too 'high' because the object isn't in the center of the rendered output. I'm guessing this is for the buildings that are 2*1 or even 2*2 and have a large amount of floors or levels...

If thats not what you meant then sorry. :oops:

Anyway, rendered again with the official lighting setup, looks a lot better. Got bored so played with different colours :)
Attachments
1preview.PNG
1preview.PNG (151.46 KiB) Viewed 4784 times
Flats v3-1.zip
(812.95 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
1.png
1.png (796.54 KiB) Viewed 556 times
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

And Again....

The light coloured bricks are Dmhs' orginal brick texture..
Attachments
Flats-v2-1.zip
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 209 times
2.png
2.png (817.76 KiB) Viewed 493 times
2preview.PNG
2preview.PNG (161.26 KiB) Viewed 4787 times
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Meush,

Move the empty (xyz thingy) along the z axis (select > press G > press Z > move mouse), preferably from the camera view for wysiwyg (numpad zero).

Dylan.Farrow,

Looking great. One suggestion; add some lines across the roof edges (see example). The different coloured bricks look great. Perhaps the colour overlay system could be used for this.
Attachments
example.gif
example.gif (19.79 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Thank you dmh_mac, seems it is the only one idea.
Burschik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Burschik »

Q: What's this supposed to be?

A: Well, it's a 3x3 tile Battersea power station.

Q: Then why can't I see anything interesting?

A: On the one hand, I'm not supposed to scale the model to fit the camera, but on the other hand, no one seems to be willing or able to answer my questions about appropriate scale and camera positions. So I simply assumed a correspondence of 1 metre=1 blender unit and 25 blender units=1 tile length. When I move the camera, I only get a blank background, so I left it where it is.
Attachments
battersea04.png
battersea04.png (341.04 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

2×2 blender units = 1 tile = 25×25 meters
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Change camera scale to change the magnification.
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

MeusH wrote:Change camera scale to change the magnification.

can someone please write a camera vs render size conversion table for this.

it needs to be to 4 decimal places using multiples of "root 2" and the multiplyer for that needs to be equal to the multiplier of the render settings.

these are pretty damn vital in getting renders correct.

Alltaken
Burschik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Burschik »

Thanks for the tile size.

Here is a first attempt at a small Romanesque church.

Cheers
Attachments
church01.png
church01.png (216.79 KiB) Viewed 4280 times
shampie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by shampie »

Nice churche!
Do build in some more windows!
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

A few tips, questions:

What are the topmost pillars doing up there? Do you know they are as high as a dog? These churches were really small.

Also I think some grass around would be a nice feature
Burschik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Burschik »

MeusH wrote:A few tips, questions:

What are the topmost pillars doing up there? Do you know they are as high as a dog? These churches were really small.

Also I think some grass around would be a nice feature
I assume you mean the pillars in the tower. That's supposed to be a kind of gallery. But maybe the whole building is too small.

Cheers
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

I would suggest going for a more pronounced christian cross shape in the layout. Like this.
Also it needs a lot more detail and decoration.
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

A little ugly paintover.

Don't know much about romanesque architecture so most of it is based on google image search stuff.
Attachments
paintover.png
paintover.png (201.63 KiB) Viewed 4037 times
Burschik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Burschik »

dmh_mac wrote:I would suggest going for a more pronounced christian cross shape in the layout. Like this.
Also it needs a lot more detail and decoration.
I would say the layout is already perfectly cross-shaped (except for the fact that the apse is octagonal). But I agree that more detail and decoration are required. Your mockup is excellent, and I will pursue these suggestions. However, the result will likely be too large for one tile.

Regards

Return to “Graphics Development”