TTDPatch Origin

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

etko
Engineer
Engineer

TTDPatch Origin

Post by etko »

I'm quite new to TTDPatch and OpenTTD. I was playing TT long time ago but thanks to great port (OpenTTD) I'm playing it again :). However I would like to know how TTD Patch and OpenTTD was made.

Especially TTD Patch Microporose doen't seem to release sources, so how the author got all the info needed and more to alter game at run? Was it hexhacked and disassembled or how?
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

OTTD was created by reverse engineering (rewriting TTD from ASM to C) which is illlegal in some countries (check OTTD section for topics about), personally I dislike OTTD (everyone knows that already)

TTDPatch was a lot more effort and hard work .... it copy TTD executable and edit it's internals, it's written in ASM,
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

TTDPatch still used disassembly to gather internal information, of course. However, the final patch only modifies certain bytes of the existing routines, rather than providing a modified binary.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:OTTD was created by reverse engineering (rewriting TTD from ASM to C) which is illlegal in some countries (check OTTD section for topics about), personally I dislike OTTD (everyone knows that already)

TTDPatch was a lot more effort and hard work .... it copy TTD executable and edit it's internals, it's written in ASM,
You are bullshitting again Shadow, as you do more often when it comes to matters of OpenTTD.

The basis for TTDPatch and OpenTTD are both exactly the same disassembled binary. While TTDPatch took the path of modifying the game during runtime (just like all cheats/maphacks/etc. for current games do; but ofcourse what TTDPatch does is a lot lot more).
OpenTTD took the path of rewriting the whole disassembly into C (translating it in fact). From that point on OpenTTD was born and we've been working on it for the last year to change it into what it is now.

And I absolutely have no idea why TTDPatch was a lot more effort and hard work than OpenTTD. They have both been a tremendous amount of work and you certainly can't say that one was more work than the other because it chose to work in assembly.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
OBrown
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OBrown »

*goes off on a tangent*

Me, I dun get why OTTD is still in the 0.x stage, when it has all the features of TTD and then some. Seems to me, if it works just like TTD, except is written in C and functions in Win2K environments, it should be 1.0, with new features being added and increasing the revision numbers from there. But that's just me.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I would guess that the Patch would be more work, because working in assembler is lots harder than writing in C.

I'm kind of disappointed in OTTD, actually. I would have expected that it would have caught up to Patch TTD as far as features, at which point I imagine everybody would have switched over to using it. But it hasn't particularly in the vehicle-sets area.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Well then maybe you can learn how to code C, and become a OTTD acolyte amongst the OTTD devs? :roll:
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Bah, my time is better spent shepherding the vehicle sets to completion. There are quite a lot of C coders around, really. Not so many Assembler and GRF coders.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

krtaylor wrote:I would guess that the Patch would be more work, because working in assembler is lots harder than writing in C.
The initial creation of OpenTTD would have been a lot of work, though... I know it took at least from June 2002 until early 2003 before something fairly playable existed, whereas TTDPatch had the advantage that the game was already there. ;)
krtaylor wrote:I'm kind of disappointed in OTTD, actually. I would have expected that it would have caught up to Patch TTD as far as features, at which point I imagine everybody would have switched over to using it. But it hasn't particularly in the vehicle-sets area.
Don't be so sure about that, HackyKid has recently been working on newgrf and should soon be applying a number of patches that help implement more newgrf features (eg, short wagons, various callbacks, etc), so it's just a matter of time. PBS has also been in existance for some time and should be committed at some point in the near future. :)
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

How long ago was TTDpatch made, and who came up with the ideas for it and produced it? thats one thing im curious about :)
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

Geo.c Ghost wrote:How long ago was TTDpatch made, and who came up with the ideas for it and produced it? thats one thing im curious about :)
Check this usenet post
Han
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Han »

and to quote Josef how this patch came to be:
All right, it's this squishy, grey, disgusting thing in my head, and it
appears to be called "brain". I have version #25.7ck, got it somewhere
around 1975 I think. I've been looking for an update but couldn't find one
yet. :-)
:lol:

Return to “General TTDPatch”