Artists FAQ, and quick start guide (Updated 22/08/05)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Artists FAQ, and quick start guide (Updated 22/08/05)

Post by Alltaken »

Ok guys here is a list of things that you will find helpfull if wishing to contribute to the creation of new graphics. links to tutorials, links to downloads, and links to places that you can get help from.

Because we are creating the graphics in Blender which is an Open Source 3d package. i have written this post around the assumption that you will be using it also (although other software is not discouraged).

However if you already use another software package then you can feel free to continue to use that.

the downfall of using 3d for much of it is there is a higher "learning curve" than using a pixel painting program. but it is not unachievable, and 3d skills are usefull in every day situations.

-------step one: Learning to model--------

you will need to learn how to model in 3d, (texturing is not such a deal as, You, I, or Others can deal with that after somthing is modeled)

blender is available from:
http://blender3d.org/cms/Blender.31.0.html

and is 100% free, and open source. it is what i used to create all graphcis so-far.
-quick personal tutorial from Alltaken.

1)Ignore anything on the screen you don't understand. its not important. however if you want to learn really fast then F with everything you don't understand and you will eventually work out what it does :P

2)Moving around in 3d space is done with your MMB (middle mouse button) hold it down and drag it around your 3d screen. how easy was that.
then add the Shift key to the MMB to drag yourself sideways and up/down on the screen.

3) selecting an object can be done by Right Clicking on it. it will then go pink in colour.

4) there are two main modes in Blender, one is called the "object mode" the other is called "edit mode" object mode lets you select objects, edit mode lets you select point (vertex's) on an object. select an object and change between these modes with the Tab key.

that is enough info for you to get into Blender and start to make some mess. you will learn other things as you get to them, and telling you everything (which i almost could do) would confuse you ;)
video tutorials are here.
http://blender3d.org/cms/Video_Tutorials.396.0.html

regular tutorials are here
http://blender3d.org/cms/Tutorials.243.0.html

those will certainly help you with some things. but sometimes you have a specific question. the answers can be found from

IRC: (freenode) #blenderchat or #blender
Forums: http://www.elysiun.com
Blender homepage (full of links) http://www.blender3d.org

-----Step two: Applying this to OTTD------

if its specifially about OTTD graphics (i.e. i have modelled somthing how do i make it a sprite)
the forums: here
Me on MSN: your_mums_hot hotmail.com (say that your from OTTD when you talk to me at first, i have had crazy psychos add me recently LOL so if i know you're from OTTD then i am cool with it)

The files and tutorials specific to OTTD are available at the wiki
http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/GFXDev:Main_Page

As people add to the pool of 3d objects created for OTTD (like trees, roads...) then the future graphics additions will be easy to make. don't hesitate to contact me for more help, and don't feel that you need to be an expert in 2 days, 4 weeks or even 2 months. you will get there, and will be able to produce fantastic objects for OTTD and help create a new graphics engine.

thanks for listening people. and good luck with yout additions to this awsome game.

p.s. this thread is not really a discussion topic. but somthing i'd like to keep clean. if you want to ask any questions then please do-so in the other thread, this one will the be updated with the answers to some of the FAQ. thanks again.

Alltaken
Last edited by Alltaken on 14 Sep 2005 12:46, edited 2 times in total.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New Graphics engine, Artists FAQ, and quick start guide

Post by George »

Alltaken wrote:Ok guys here is a list of things that you will find helpfull if wishing to contribute to the creation of new graphics. links to tutorials, links to downloads, and links to places that you can get help from.
Can I use CATIA v5 for this?
Image Image Image Image
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

George wrote:
Alltaken wrote:Ok guys here is a list of things that you will find helpfull if wishing to contribute to the creation of new graphics. links to tutorials, links to downloads, and links to places that you can get help from.
However if you already use another software package then you can feel free to continue to use that.
well sure you can. i have no objection to other software being used.
if the results can be achieved i am all for any program capable.

however (just for consideration)

with a cad package modelling often takes longer than in a 3d art package (depends on skill levels of course, i use CAD also BTW but the workflow seems a bit slower, however if you are familiar with it then by all means go for it.)

rendering may be an issue. you you are happy setting up textures and automated rendering/camera angles and lighting setups that give similar results to other renders from different programs then that is a huge adavantage.

there is another option. if you are really good modelling in one software and don't wish to learn another. then you could export to a .DXF .3DS .LWO.... and import it into blender, to use the standard light setup and a series of standard materials (minimal experience is needed to do this)

but hey i trust you, so go for gold. model like mad (sprite format hasn't been finalised so modelling is about as far as we can get so far i fear)

but once it is then all the info can be given to turn those models into sprites.

look forward to working with you george, nomatter what software you use. do whichever suits you best.

P.s. i am curious what your personal copyright restrictions are. if they are fairly liberal as mine are then there is space on the server for all source files and final sprite files.

Alltaken
Bruno
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bruno »

Ehehe, thk for the info! ;)
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Alltaken wrote:
George wrote:
well sure you can. i have no objection to other software being used.
if the results can be achieved i am all for any program capable.
It is a 3D CAD system from IBM-Dassaut
Alltaken wrote:there is another option. if you are really good modelling in one software and don't wish to learn another. then you could export to a .DXF .3DS .LWO
With textures?
Alltaken wrote:.... and import it into blender, to use the standard light setup and a series of standard materials (minimal experience is needed to do this)
We should try when I do my fist model :)
Alltaken wrote:but hey i trust you, so go for gold. model like mad (sprite format hasn't been finalised so modelling is about as far as we can get so far i fear)
but once it is then all the info can be given to turn those models into sprites.
look forward to working with you george, nomatter what software you use. do whichever suits you best.
P.s. i am curious what your personal copyright restrictions are. if they are fairly liberal as mine are then there is space on the server for all source files and final sprite files.
They are.
Image Image Image Image
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

George wrote:
Alltaken wrote:there is another option. if you are really good modelling in one software and don't wish to learn another. then you could export to a .DXF .3DS .LWO
With textures?
hmm not actually sure if it takes textures on import. i'll do some research. (i have never tried with textures you see)

Alltaken
Jeffrey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jeffrey »

Alltaken wrote: Shared files for people can be found in this directory (nothing flash yet)
http://graphics.openttd.org/sourcefiles/shared/

currently there is Camera.blend (compressed in 7z) if you use this file to create all your models in, then you will have less problems intergrating it into the current sprites, because all the lighting, camera angles and such have been set-up for you.
what is a 7z file exactly, and with which program can I uncompress it ?

so i can use it in blender
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

http://www.7-zip.org/
yes sorry for not posting a link to the unarchiving software.

Alltaken
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

also latest WinRAR is able to extract 7zip's
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Jeffrey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jeffrey »

Alltaken wrote:http://www.7-zip.org/
yes sorry for not posting a link to the unarchiving software.

Alltaken
ok, thanks 8)
Jeffrey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jeffrey »

Alltaken wrote: video tutorials are here.
Ii downloaded a couple of videos! but i got a problem, because on the pages where you can download these videos the tell you that it are divx avi's , and somehow i can't open the videos with the newest divx player :S ???? please help
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

hmmm i have never actually used the video tutorials.

however there are some that say they use Divx, i don't see why they would lie, whereas others will use random codecs i assume.

installing FDDshow filter should make most videos playable on computers its available from doom9.org under downloads section then under filters.

anyway sorry i can't be of more help.

Alltaken
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

GSpot will be able to tell you what codecs you are missing.
If you're missing a video codec, check FourCC.org first. If that's not helpful, or you're missing an audio codec, Google.

This system has worked for me for years.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Jeffrey wrote:
Alltaken wrote: video tutorials are here.
Ii downloaded a couple of videos! but i got a problem, because on the pages where you can download these videos the tell you that it are divx avi's , and somehow i can't open the videos with the newest divx player :S ???? please help
It allso sais that the VLC video player will be able t play 'em all

There however is not 'nuff VTs. You do't really learn blender from them (I've tried). And get the ones by Metsys, they are the bestbestbest
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

hi all. this is my first. Here is the color table, tested with 0.3.6, with descriptions of the color functions. It's useful to pick the apropiate color index during design, program independent.
The index is ordered from 255 to 0!!

Note the possibilities of the "flash colors", the two series of blue water color seems to be created for different movement effects in the deep see (dark color) and in coastals (clear and slow ones). This is not fully achieved in the original graphics (very odd i think). I've tried desperatly to make new ones, but the blue tone is too pale..

I also atach an ACO file,a color table for photoshop, which has the color indexes and descriptions mentioned. It works for almost all versions.
Attachments
ttdlx.zip
Aco file, zipped
(3.48 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
colortable.pcx
The index color is correct and tested
(130.88 KiB) Downloaded 557 times
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

lepkka. i think you will find the New GFX engine doesn't used indexed colours and rather uses full 32 Bit PNG's for the colours.

we are a long way off from a new GFX engine, but are trying to get graphics creation done before a new GFX engine so that we have a reason tochange.

perhaps your colour table would be useful in one of the other threads.

Alltaken
sammy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sammy »

sorry for the stupid question, but what does that have to do with ottd? if it can be helpfull for the game please tell me how,
grettings,
sam
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

sammy wrote:sorry for the stupid question, but what does that have to do with ottd? if it can be helpfull for the game please tell me how,
grettings,
sam
who are you talking to?

are you talking about Blenders relevence to OTTD?

well the New GFX will hopefully be done using 3d rendering, and Blender is a free 3d modeller, and renderer capable of creating 100's of sprites for a 2d game like OTTD. (infact blender is in use all over the world for this purpose for professional 2d games)

this is why.

BTW do a search for topics started by me in this forum, and you will find some examples of the GFX blender has been doing.

Alltaken
Sellu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sellu »

Alltaken,
Will there be a default lighting setup in popular 3ds format? If not could you specify the lighting setup you are using in blender?

Will the engine use alpha channels in models to blend the sprites with background without those saw-egde borders like in Locomotion?

Are you planning to have any company colors? If so, how are they
selected from 32 bit palette?(Edit: ok I saw the poll so this question is answered)

Hopefully I am not asking already asked questions, thanks.

(I would love to great some busses&trains to Openttd)
The power that I trust.
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

lots of those things you are asking are still not anchored down and are being finalised :(

i have good ideas about how most of them will work, i just need to prove the concept, and have enough time to sit down and write it all out.

the lighting setup was so bad the first time that i will need to have it done again. so at these stages we have no lighting setup :(

Alltaken

Return to “Graphics Development”