Help With TTD CD Graphics/Music

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Macil
Engineer
Engineer

Help With TTD CD Graphics/Music

Post by Macil »

Is there a new webpage with working instructions on how to install the original game disc content to work with OpenTTD? The one on the website keeps referring me to all sorts of broken links and missing webpages. I remember it just asking you flat out when you installed OpenTTD if you wanted to install the original game disc's content but I don't see that anywhere in the installation anymore. I even tried nabbing a copy of OpenTTD through the newer Steam listing and I don't see an option there either. Is the original game disc graphics/music/sounds no longer supported?

Sorry, I'm sure this question has been beaten to death over the years but I'm not very familiar with these forums and I've been poking around here and Google to the best of my abilities for the last 2 hours and am at my wit's end.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Help With TTD CD Graphics/Music

Post by jfs »

It's fully supported. All you need to do is copy the relevant files to the OpenTTD\baseset\ folder where it will look for the files, and let you select them when found.
There are some instructions in the Readme file included with the game too.

For the graphics, you need all the .GRF files.
For the sound effects you need the SAMPLE.CAT file.
For the Windows version music, you need the entire GM folder.
For the DOS version music you need the GM.CAT file.
Macil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Macil »

Ohhhh. You know, I feel like I've tried that before in the past with no luck - weird! Your instructions worked like a charm, thank you much for the straight forward answer. I did go back and check for that readme, it wasn't in a format I/my computer recognized. That's probably why I hadn't noticed it the first time - not sure what a md file is, but I did manage to get it open and read it.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated!
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

Macil wrote: 03 Aug 2023 10:49 <snip>
...not sure what a md file is...
<snip>
.md files are MarkDown formatted - it's a way of adding a little of formatting to (mostly) plain text, ideal for documentation which doesn't require images.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

... oh, thread drift ...
skc wrote: 03 Aug 2023 10:51
Macil wrote: 03 Aug 2023 10:49 <snip>
...not sure what a md file is...
<snip>
.md files are MarkDown formatted - it's a way of adding a little of formatting to (mostly) plain text
And: IMHO the main advantage is the fact, that one can open it with every text editor, even with the simplest, one can imagine. And: The content is directly readable despite the formatting characters. And: formatting content with Markdown is really easy. :D

Tschö, Auge

Return to “General OpenTTD”