Criminality/Obesity

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

bussprenger
Engineer
Engineer

Criminality/Obesity

Post by bussprenger »

I think it would be awesome if one could spice up the gameplay a little bit by adding an option for "Criminality/Obesity" -> make high valuable transport "punishable":
Frequent transport of valuables to a bank will make that cities crime rate rise. Higher crimerate = higher possibility of a transport unit getting robbed if it's driving within city radius, losing all cargo.
Toyland will have an Obesity rating per city based on how much sugar stuff you transport. Higher obesity rate = higher possibility of a transport unit breaking down because the driver is too obese, and passenger transport units can carry less passengers
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Criminality/Obesity

Post by odisseus »

In the default economy, valuables are a marginal cargo anyway, and most players consider it not worth the effort. It would be counter-productive to punish the odd player who bothers to transport it. This also applies to diamonds and gold in their respective climates.

As for Toyland, I'm not sure what exactly you have in mind, because sugar isn't accepted by houses. Anyway, I don't like the idea of punishing the player for delivering a certain type of cargo, especially if it comes from a secondary industry which itself needs to be supplied with other types of cargo.
bussprenger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bussprenger »

odisseus wrote: 14 Apr 2023 01:04 In the default economy, valuables are a marginal cargo anyway, and most players consider it not worth the effort. It would be counter-productive to punish the odd player who bothers to transport it. This also applies to diamonds and gold in their respective climates.
I might have misphrased my initial post, but the idea behind that is less about punishing certain cargos, but rather being able to influence cities through which cargo from enemies flow, i.e. causing natural disasters.
Player A has a flourishing business of goods in London, so Player B ships valuables to the bank of London, making the crime rate increase and letting Player A's cargo get robbed.
odisseus wrote: 14 Apr 2023 01:04 As for Toyland, I'm not sure what exactly you have in mind, because sugar isn't accepted by houses. Anyway, I don't like the idea of punishing the player for delivering a certain type of cargo, especially if it comes from a secondary industry which itself needs to be supplied with other types of cargo.
I meant sugar products in general, like candy or fizz drinks
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

bussprenger wrote: 14 Apr 2023 01:23 Player A has a flourishing business of goods in London, so Player B ships valuables to the bank of London, making the crime rate increase and letting Player A's cargo get robbed.
I don't understand how that is supposed to work. Why wouldn't Player B's valuables shipments get robbed in the first place?

Besides, if what you care about is upsetting the competitor's business, there are much more direct ways to do that. For example, funding a road reconstruction would hinder all road transport within a given city.
bussprenger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bussprenger »

odisseus wrote: 14 Apr 2023 12:24 I don't understand how that is supposed to work. Why wouldn't Player B's valuables shipments get robbed in the first place?
Their shipments might get robbed aswell. Though it still can make sense to do that if the opponent has higher cargo transport in that city
odisseus wrote: 14 Apr 2023 12:24 Besides, if what you care about is upsetting the competitor's business, there are much more direct ways to do that. For example, funding a road reconstruction would hinder all road transport within a given city.
That only hurts road transport; Criminality should affect trains aswell, they are otherwise almost untouchable
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

If you want to affect all kinds of transport, just buy exclusive transport rights in the town.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

It's definitely a neat idea, but I think it's not really a thing that'd work on OpenTTD really. It seems something more ideal for a game with more micromanagement of many different details, like Cities Skylines, than something like OpenTTD.

Although of course, nothing stops you taking the source and making your own little patch with your ideas in!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
bussprenger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bussprenger »

odisseus wrote: 14 Apr 2023 15:19 If you want to affect all kinds of transport, just buy exclusive transport rights in the town.
That is really expensive, I'd like to see a more viable option for early- to mid-game
Redirect Left wrote: 14 Apr 2023 15:40 It's definitely a neat idea, but I think it's not really a thing that'd work on OpenTTD really. It seems something more ideal for a game with more micromanagement of many different details, like Cities Skylines, than something like OpenTTD.

Although of course, nothing stops you taking the source and making your own little patch with your ideas in!
Thanks! Yeah, I also think that it would rather suit as a mod instead of a base feature, which is why I haven't posted to Suggestions. But unfortunately I haven't yet tried out modding myself. Maybe someday soon I'll have the time to read myself into that :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”