[OTTD] Pipelines - PIPE v6.41 [27/05/2023]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Pipelines - PIPE v6.3 [07/03/2015]

Post by Supercheese »

This grf is really great and I use it in every game. :D

But I would like to request a minor change: Could the text for pipeline vehicle replacement be changed from, "Replace pipeline pump" to "Replace Pipeline Pumps", as this better agrees with the other strings which have every word capitalized and refer to plurals ("Vehicles") rather than singulars.
Attachments
Replace Vehicles screen
Replace Vehicles screen
Pipe Replace.png (18.62 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

Supercheese wrote:This grf is really great and I use it in every game. :D

But I would like to request a minor change: Could the text for pipeline vehicle replacement be changed from, "Replace pipeline pump" to "Replace Pipeline Pumps", as this better agrees with the other strings which have every word capitalized and refer to plurals ("Vehicles") rather than singulars.
Check latest version.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

LaDoncella wrote:Check latest version.
Excellent, thanks. :)
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Pipelines - PIPE v6.4 [25/04/2015]

Post by romazoon »

i experience a small issue regarding pipeline and transfer payments.

i use ships from platform to docks, then pipeline. : ( all transfer are going farther and farther, no intermediate transport are going the "wrong direction"...it s simply going from platform to docks then to refinery, all in the same direction, payment should simply increase, not decrease like if i was bringing something too far before final delivery)

used as the last leg of a trip, pipeline only turn a "cost" at final delivery (and checking total revenue/profits of ships and pipelines, i was carrying oil for peanuts)

Now instead of delivering directly with the pipeline, i bring it in pipeline and transfer it 5 tile away from refinery, and make a final delivery with a train... and guess what : All my legs turn now nice profits.... no more cost

I suspect the problem being "fast cargo decay" wich is applied on pipes.

Could it be that the Final payment (the payment from producer to factory/user) is only based on the cargodecay of the Last vehicle ?

meaning it s easy to abuse such cargodecay (using the slow decay rate vehicles or even normal decay rate only for the final leg)....or being abused on the payment when it s actually a fast cargo decay rate vehicle making the last trip (for exemple, pumps)

Edit: after further testing, this problem seems to happen only if the pipeline is relatively long, i made a new test where the ships make a very long trip and transfer at dock. Pipeline make a 10 tile long trip, and turn me a revenue.... (in the first case the ships trip were not very long, the pipeline trip was longer)...so i supose i was wrong about the cargodecay that would have influence on the "total payment"....
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Underwater pipes? :wink:

Would be done as an alternative railtype, drawing the water tile as the ground and hiding the pipe. Yes it's a dumb idea :twisted:
Attachments
PIPE-sea.png
PIPE-sea.png (412.3 KiB) Viewed 5389 times
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Crazy idea, because you cannot ride a boat over it.
BTW, since we have 255 heights, is it possible to define ocean height from 2 instead of 1? It would allow to build underwater tunnels.

More related to this grf - signals (valve) graphics directions are hardly to distinguish. I often must to convert to normal rail, place signal and convert again.
LaDoncella, would you consider to add arrow to 1-way PBS? Something like here, of course different scale:
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

McZapkie wrote:More related to this grf - signals (valve) graphics directions are hardly to distinguish. I often must to convert to normal rail, place signal and convert again
+1. I use this grf a lot on every map, signals could be easier to use :wink:
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

andythenorth wrote:Underwater pipes? :wink:

Would be done as an alternative railtype, drawing the water tile as the ground and hiding the pipe. Yes it's a dumb idea :twisted:
The Chunnel patch works well for this
pipeline_underwater.png
pipeline_underwater.png (12.86 KiB) Viewed 5358 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

andythenorth wrote:Underwater pipes?
Oil rigs are stations. If your pipelines include a station tile, build it onshore, within the oil rig's station catchment area using the "join station" tool et voilà ... underwater pipeline! 8)
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

I believe that only works in TTDP; in OpenTTD you can't distant-join to a neutral-owned station such as that of an oil-rig.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Gremnon wrote:I believe that only works in TTDP; in OpenTTD you can't distant-join to a neutral-owned station such as that of an oil-rig.
Damn! You're right! I forgot about that.
Alternate solutions:
Raise a bit of land adjacent to the platform and build a station tile (ISR has some intresting selections)
or
If using Cirdan's New Map Features fork, build a docking buoy adjacent to the platform (Expensive land raising not needed).
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

andythenorth wrote:Underwater pipes? :wink:

this would, however, not hide the canal walls.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

There's a NewGRF on Bananas for a Seaplane Airport, which is actually just the regular small airport built at sea level. It has an object that's an empty water tile, and iirc prevented flooding. Using that instead would avoid any canal walls or similar showing.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I tried something like that a few years ago. How profitable is that for you? I don't remember the results.
Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

andythenorth wrote:Figured out a neat way to use PIPE without needing a second return route. Uses transfers at intermediate stations. Very good performance...
A slight problem remains, though. Some oil wells (especially those of FIRS that can be beefed up with supplies :-P ) easily overwhelm the capacities of this building method. This is the only situation I get mad at the competitors!

Besides, this is my preferred method as well and please, keep the supplies applicable to the oil wells :-)

EDIT: Forget it about the insufficient capacities. Have the (pump-)stations located, say, at 10 tiles in between and *wham* no more oil waiting.
The pessimist sees the darkness in the tunnel.
The optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
The realist sees the light coming closer...
The engineer sees three fools in front of his train on the track in the tunnel.
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

I'd still love it if you could replace the depot with a storage tank sprite :)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Two things that would be nice with this GRF would be a station sprite that looks like a pump, and a depot to match, though for the depot, maybe it'd be a control building where they manage the pump line or a Electric sub station (cuz you know, pumps need power? :) )
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

Return to “Graphics Development”