Priority on single track-lines

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CanDo
Engineer
Engineer

Priority on single track-lines

Post by CanDo »

how coultd i create a single track-line where direction A has the High prio and direction B the Low prio.
for direction B there are some pass-bys. but the B-trains should wait until the next 2 blocks where free, so B could reach the next pass-by whithout blocking the way for A...?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Priority on single track-lines

Post by Alberth »

openttdcoop.org has a wiki with advanced stuff like priority with merging
CanDo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CanDo »

but there are 2 tracks .... i want to build it only whith some signals... not a 2 track-line
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

EDIT : I remove all the old, misunderstandings :(

Well, you can see at the #openttdcoop theres a type of priority which do not uses second "circuit" tracks. Especially the first on the list.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
CanDo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CanDo »

Ok again...

trains coming from A should use the mainline

trains coming from B should wait on the pass-by

the problem is... train A shouldn't need to stop!
2.jpg
2.jpg (113.72 KiB) Viewed 4324 times
Wold
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Wold »

When I get back home I'll make something up, but just to let you know you will use more track for the priority in comparison to just doubling :D

EDIT: CloudedJudgement yeah, but if the train from B is midpoint the train from A must wait.
Last edited by Wold on 23 Aug 2012 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
CloudedJudgement
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CloudedJudgement »

If you use one-way path signals, you could come very close to that behaviour I think. I haven't tested this, but I attached an image.

In short: the long distance between the path signals from A to B, makes sure that the train can reserve enough track. But I don't think it's possible to completely eliminate trains from A waiting, unless you go double track. But I could very well be wrong in this; I'm still a bit new in this.

edit: That's true; there are still situations that A has to wait. Then you really have to use the priority thing, but I have never used that so I don't know how yet. Especially on one-track.
Attachments
Fishyworth Transport, 4th Jul 1982.png
Fishyworth Transport, 4th Jul 1982.png (485.92 KiB) Viewed 569 times
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

CanDo wrote:Ok again...
2.jpg
In that case, priority is useless : Whilst Train A (the first coming from A) finished its journey to B and so travel back, it will encounter Train B (the first coming from B), coming back from A ; After a quite short period, both train will be in the same direction, waiting for the other to clear from its front.

The best way out is just don't make any passing loop but build your station at the line with 2 platform instead. This will avoid the need to wait in the middle.

Sorry, but priority at those case is worser than, for example, double-track your lines. Thats a better attempt.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Wold
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Wold »

Yoursnotmine wrote: In that case, priority is useless : Whilst Train A (the first coming from A) finished its journey to B and so travel back, it will encounter Train B (the first coming from B), coming back from A ; After a quite short period, both train will be in the same direction, waiting for the other to clear from its front.

The best way out is just don't make any passing loop but build your station at the line with 2 platform instead. This will avoid the need to wait in the middle.

Sorry, but priority at those case is worser than, for example, double-track your lines. Thats a better attempt.
A and B are not trains, but stations rather, so maybe his idea is for example that the trains from B return from a Power Plant, and those from A can come from multiple coal mines which makes perfect sense. Doubling the tracks is the best solution, yet not the only one.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Wold wrote: A and B are not trains, but stations rather, so maybe his idea is for example that the trains from B return from a Power Plant, and those from A can come from multiple coal mines which makes perfect sense. Doubling the tracks is the best solution, yet not the only one.
I define both station and train there.

Still, any type of normal priority is useless.

For example, he wants that trains goes from Coal Mine to Power Station, which need faster acsess, always get priorities - The problem here, trains from coal mines will stack in the passing . Even if thats what he want, it will need different set-up from building to completing/running.

And also, trains may choose to overtake the train on its front by using the now-left-empty tracks that before used by trains that get priorization.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i think you can get way better results here if you use timetables, instead of "priority signals". put a station in each siding, and let the train wait there a few days with "no loading and no unloading" orders (not "go via"), then fill out the start dates so that the trains always meet at the same position
CanDo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CanDo »

this station idea sounds good...
but: if the loading because of increasing or decreasing production is variable in time... the timetable is worthless, because the train is laeving the START station too early or to late...

the idea is to transport heavy haul over long distances with less money...
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

indeed, you cannot combine this with "full load" orders, so you likely have some empty wagons on each trip.

but, there is a point where waiting for the last bits of full load causes your cargo value to decay more than the few extra pieces give you in additional value, so it may be an advantage to leave (slightly) earlier. plus, wagons cost you practically nothing, so it does not matter much if they are not full
CanDo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CanDo »

if the load is different.. the speed of the train is also different... specialy with high terrain......
i didn't find a solution... yet
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

CanDo wrote:if the load is different.. the speed of the train is also different... specialy with high terrain......
i didn't find a solution... yet
Depends on - if your "A" station is uphill and a loading station, and "B" station is downhill and unloading station, you shouldn't get a much apparent problem.

This is what since the first time really crossed on my mind : Could you actually fiqure out what are the problem in your current game ? Screenshots or savegame of your current game network with the problem perhaps ? I know, after all the talks, this seems a bit silly question, but well, generalization isn't all the way ; Probably your current terrain actually allows for doubletracking the line without much attempt, or doubletracking haven't needed yet.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Wold
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Wold »

Well I hope this is what you wanted. In my opinion - still useless :)
Attachments
1.png
(735.13 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Silly, thats worser than a doubletracked lines :shock: !!
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Wold
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Wold »

I've never claimed anything else than this
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Yoursnotmine wrote:worser
This is the second time I've seen you do this today. There is no such thing as "worser", it is either bad, worse or worst.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Let me refresh this topic, because I'm using some train sets with variable running costs (for example PKP, xUSSR) and heavy freight trains.
Therefore long wait of freight train is not an issue, whereas loaded train should go without stops, if possible.

After some deadlocks, I found the following solution - entry signal for empty train, patch signal for loaded train and additional block signal and short track to lock entry signals if loaded train is approaching siding:

(image is rotated for better clarity), loaded trains going from right to the left are prioritized against empty ones.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”