[OTTD] Looking for scenario builders!

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
LSky
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

[OTTD] Looking for scenario builders!

Post by LSky »

Hi everyone,

I have a scenario project in mind that I'd need help with to realize. Something that always bothered me about Transport Tycoon and OpenTTD is that the different modes of transportation are very unbalanced. Trains represent the main attraction of the game, whilst aircraft are easy money, road vehicles are mostly buses or feeder vehicles and ships only serve water based industries.

Whilst we've gone a long way on our community server to balance out the various facets of this game, I still think ships are under served. Due to stability and terrain roughness reasons, we had to ditch the our modded client which featured an advanced terrain generator that allowed for larger bodies of water. In my view, this would have been a good opportunity to see the true potential of ships, but it wasn't meant to be. Right now, my idea is to manually create a scenario with the tools that we have in an attempt to get the same sort of balance.

How it would look:
  • map size 2048x2048 or 4096x4096
  • based on our community server's settings and newgrf set*
  • high percentage of water
  • 3-4 main landmasses
  • distance between main landmasses greater than max range of cargo aircraft, or aircraft disabled
  • industry types strategically placed on different continents
What is needed
  • input, opinions
  • time and effort
  • at least one person willing to dedicate themselves to this project
  • one person who is able to edit newgrfs (some ships will need balancing) - in progress
  • testers
This isn't a project that I expect to have done this week, but I am looking for people who do have some spare time. A this point, this post is somewhat of an interest check. If this remains fairly unnoticed, then I am assuming that there's not enough interest for this idea.

* = game settings and newgrf sets are adjustable when the project gets out of sculpting/heightmap phase
Damrus
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Looking for scenario builders!

Post by Damrus »

Hey Lsky,

I started working on a map with 3-4 land masses. Its not nearly done but you might like to see an update : ]

http://imgur.com/UOiqhYn
http://imgur.com/Np41AwC

If you have any remarks please let me know and then I'll do a proper upload when I'm Done.
I hope more people join the effort.

Kind regards
D

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”