[OTTD] Shikoku 1946

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

[OTTD] Shikoku 1946

Post by PouncingAnt »

OK, so after dabbling with the scenario editor, and feeling somewhat unfulfilled, I came up with a new map:

Shikoku 1946

Outline:

A medium size (1024x512), mountainous map with a some cities and villages of Shikoku, sourced from early 1950s US army maps of Japan. With extra research from Google Earth.

Although the map features the main roads throughout Shikoku, the railways have not been included so you can either try to recreate the historical railway, or try and make your own, improved version. Or, of course, just do what you like!

Historical setting:

Its 1946, and Japan (with American oversight) struggles to cope after its recent turmoil. Putting aside the tools of war, it is time to pick up the tools of business and rebuild Japan as a nation of peace.

The island of Shikoku, just South of the main island, is mainly agrarian; sudachi, mikan and momo fruits grow especially well in the warm Shikoku climate. However, some industry exists too: the copper mines along the Northern range of mountains, especially around Niihama, still have untapped resources and could be a boon to the region.

Historical development:

The immediate concerns for Shikoku are the reconstruction of lost infrastructure, then rebuilding the island's industry. As you can see from the maps in the link above, the railways are the most prominent missing feature, however it is worth noting that there was a lot of sea traffic between Shikoku, not just goods and materials, but also pilgrims to Shikoku's 88 temple pilgrimage.

The 70's saw the beginning of construction of the Great Seto Bridges, first linking Sakaide to the mainland (completed 1988), then Naruto to Awaji ('98), and finally Imabari to Hiroshima prefecture ('99).

The 80's saw the emergence of expressways, allowing freer movement over the mountains and between major population centres.

In the future, perhaps Shikoku will even have its own high speed rail? Who knows? For now, you get the opportunity to decide for yourselves!

EDIT: By the way, I'd be interested in seeing some saved games of people's efforts! Maybe there could even some competition, akin to my old competition threads; I'm thinking awards for "most faithful reproduction of the rail system or road system", "most efficient passenger network" etc.
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (134.66 KiB) Viewed 444 times
screenshot#1.png
screenshot#1.png (76.95 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Shikoku-1946.scn
(375.14 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!
Try the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge
Or even better, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 2
Or better still, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 3
Or, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 4

Or try my scenario instead!

-(A lazy) OpenTTD Japanese Translator-
-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-
"You get what you pay for, so pay attention!"

Patches:
Company Station Stats
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Shikoku 1946

Post by SwissFan91 »

Always nice to see new, detailed scenarios made from heightmaps. Well done!
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PouncingAnt »

I'm glad you like it! Though some credit must go to whoever made the army maps I based them on, which even have details like logging sites! Made things so much easier
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!
Try the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge
Or even better, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 2
Or better still, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 3
Or, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 4

Or try my scenario instead!

-(A lazy) OpenTTD Japanese Translator-
-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-
"You get what you pay for, so pay attention!"

Patches:
Company Station Stats
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

Thanks! It's looking really great! When I feel like playing OTTD again I'll be sure to make a start in this scenario.
girth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by girth »

PouncingAnt wrote:I'm glad you like it! Though some credit must go to whoever made the army maps I based them on, which even have details like logging sites! Made things so much easier
If you don't mind me asking, how did you convert those maps to heightmaps that the game uses?
Espee
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Espee »

(NOTE TO MOD - I posted these screenshots as a reply. Hopefully this isn't a problem - please move to Screenshots forum if it is...)

I took a shot at your scenario and loaded it over the weekend, playing it for 45 years in game time. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and appreciate the work you put into the heightmap. I have only been to Shikoku once (business trip to Matsuyama) but I have a lot more fun dealing with mountainous terrain instead of the usual pancake topography. The Japan railset is one of my faves as well, and I really get a kick out of being able to select the different liveries for the Type 103 and Type 201 EMUs - my favorite one being the orange used on the JR East Chuo line, one I have rode on many of an adventure from Tachikawa to Tokyo back in my US Air Force days. I am attaching some screenshots with commentary, and will include some of the mods I have made for my own style of play.
ShikoDen_TrainRoster_1991-08-22.png
ShikoDen_TrainRoster_1991-08-22.png (46.63 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
My company, named the Shikoku Dentetsu (Shikoku Electric Railway) or "Shiko-Den" for short, has become the primary passenger carrier on Shikoku in the 1990s. Our company has its hands full just trying to keep up with passenger and mail service demand, so no other cargoes are carried. We run a long-distance 42" gauge rail line from Nihhama to Matsuyama, some branch lines to nearby cities, and have two Shinkansen routes, serving Tokushima from Takamatsu and Kochi.
ShikoDen_NiihamaSaijo_1991-07-30.png
ShikoDen_NiihamaSaijo_1991-07-30.png (597.54 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
A view of Niihama and Saijo during the summer of 1991. There are two rail lines serving the Niihama East station: a short commuter line to Saijo North and the mainline to Matsuyama. Suburban EMUs in the pink livery serve the Saijo North Line, while the red 103s and 201s provide shuttle service to Saijo East on the Matsuyama main. The 583 series express trains in the traditional JR dark blue passenger livery run non-stop to Matsuyama from both Saijo East and Niihama East, agumented with 485 series trains in red and cream acquired in the 1980's.
ShikoDen_Matsuyama_1991-07-31.png
ShikoDen_Matsuyama_1991-07-31.png (428.56 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
Action on the southern end of the line. 485s and 583s running on standard 42" gauge rails dominate the scene in this view of Matsuyama South. We provide extensive feeder bus and tram service to every major passenger station to aggressively grow business, as can be seen in Matsuyama, where the population is over 30,000.
Espee
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Espee »

ShikoDen_Takamatsu_1991-07-31.png
ShikoDen_Takamatsu_1991-07-31.png (585.61 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
A view of Takamatsu and Shido in July 1991. Shinkansen service is provided from Takamatsu East station, in addition to shuttle service from Shido Central using yellow Type 103 EMUs. Tram service to the center of Takamatsu as well as nearby suburban towns has helped build up clientele for the Shinkansen line which opened in the 1970's. All 10 Type 0 trainsets, as well as 3 of the 15 Type 100s owned by ShikoDen, are in service on this line. The arrival of the additional Type 100 trainsets for Hikari (Express) service has allowed 3 of the Type 0s to be used on Kodama service to Kajiyabara, an intermediate stop along the way.
ShikoDen_Kajiyabara_1991-08-12.png
ShikoDen_Kajiyabara_1991-08-12.png (643.25 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
Kajiyabara station, August 1991. This station originally opened in 1979 with the 2 mainline platform tracks, so trains could only stop briefly to receive passengers in order not to block the main line. Addition of a third track in the 1980's allowed Kodama trains from Takamatsu to lay over and wait for full passenger loads without compromising the Hikari schedules. Feeder service is supplied by trams running from the nearby towns of Yawata, Ichiba and Kamojima. A 42" gauge EMU line is planned to eventually run south as far as Waki and possibly Sadamitsu.
ShikoDen_Tokushima_1991-08-18.png
ShikoDen_Tokushima_1991-08-18.png (657.11 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
Tokushima Transfer station, serving both Shinkansen lines.
Espee
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Espee »

ShikoDen_Kochi_1991-08-26.png
ShikoDen_Kochi_1991-08-26.png (428.38 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
Kochi, August 1991. Shin-Kochi station is the southern terminus for the Kochi Shinkansen. The 4 tracks on the far side of the station serve this line, while the 4 near tracks, not in use at this time, are planned for the eventual construction of a line to Aki.
ShikoDen_OdochiLoop_1991-08-22a.png
ShikoDen_OdochiLoop_1991-08-22a.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 2660 times
The Shinkansen line from Tokushima to Kochi required some unconventional engineering due to the mountainous terrain in this part of Shikoku. In order to keep grades (banks) to a minimum, a loop was incorporated into the line north of Odochi to allow the tracks to gain 300 meters of elevation in a short distance.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”