[OTTD] The Great Seto Bridge Scenario

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

[OTTD] The Great Seto Bridge Scenario

Post by PouncingAnt »

I've been away for a long time, but recently thought I'd get creative and make a scenario:

I'd like to hear what people think, and maybe I'll put it on BaNaNaS if people like it.

Premise: Approximately historical heightmap scenario bridging two large landmasses

Background:

It's 1970, and the Japanese island of Shikoku, with a population of 3.9 million* remains accessible only by ferry and plane.

Japan's economic boom means car ownership is at an all-time high, and the proposed construction of the mainland's Sanyo shinkansen through Okayama highlights Japan's infrastructure prowess. Clearly, the time is right to join Shikoku with the mainland!

You have been awarded a sizeable loan to construct a rail and road bridge to allow the connection of Okayama with Takamatsu via the small city of Sakaide.

Features:
-small 128x256 map
-Heightmap of Southern Okayama and Central Kagawa as per the sticky
-Large population centres represented
-Researched industry placement (also moderately balanced for more interesting gameplay)
-Water bodies approximately correct**

Notes:
Historically, the Great Seto Bridge was completed in 1988, so with a £500,000 loan, achieving this goal is easy as pie. More difficult is creating an efficient train service to go over it, especially if you're including the road bridge too!

Beyond setting up a passenger network to link Okayama prefecture with Kagawa, there isn't much variety in the available resources. Nonetheless, there is rich farming, and the printing industry is available; however, even with the Great Seto Bridge completed, you'll probably want to resort to shipping to haul freight between the islands.

*severely scaled down in the map

**This is important for Kagawa prefecture, as it has a lot of lakes

EDIT: changed title because thread was moved out of OTTD forums (sorry! :wink: )
Attachments
Great-Seto-Bridge.scn
(46.42 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
GreatSetoBridgesmall.png
GreatSetoBridgesmall.png (35.12 KiB) Viewed 6855 times
Last edited by PouncingAnt on 28 May 2013 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!
Try the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge
Or even better, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 2
Or better still, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 3
Or, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 4

Or try my scenario instead!

-(A lazy) OpenTTD Japanese Translator-
-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-
"You get what you pay for, so pay attention!"

Patches:
Company Station Stats
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: The Great Seto Bridge Scenario

Post by Densha »

Ohhhh, nice! I'm a JR Shikoku nerd, I even have some models of JR Shikoku trains. So this scenario makes me really excited to play!
There are quite a few trains in the Japan train set that are/were used in Shikoku but not many of them use the Great Seto Bridge. At least there's the 115 series (close enough to the 113 series), JR West 223 series, the 285 for the Sunrise Seto night sleeper, and I think the KiHa185 was used on the Honshi-Bisan line too but I'm not entirely sure. And the EF65/EF210 for freight.
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: The Great Seto Bridge Scenario

Post by PouncingAnt »

Hehe, I'd never have expected to have even met anyone who knew of Shikoku here, but a full Shikoku nerd, how awesome!

Maybe I'll have a go at the scenario, this time using the trains you mention.

The only train I know is the Marine Liner (though I've no clue on the specifics like the locomotive etc. ), because I used to catch it every fortnight or so to see my then-girlfriend-now-wife, who happens to be a Kagawa gal. Been on that one so many times, I can still remember the jingle they play for it over the tannoy... Hehehe.

If you're interested, I just finished a map of the whole of Shikoku (gotta love bank holiday weekends), I might post that soon, as I'm just about done playing it through. Its set in 1946*, so lots more historical stuff, but like this one, none of the actual existing tracks are in place.

*found some awesome US army maps of Japan, even has the locations of logging sites and copper mines OTTD mapper's dream!

EDIT: Just looked at some of those sleeper trains... I'm amazed at what they cram into the deluxe compartments...link

EDIT2: I couldn't help but laugh at this "There is a shower room beside the public space. You have to buy a shower card from the conductor at 200 yen for 6 minutes. Only 20 cards are sold in the train." ... Just 6 minutes to shower on a moving train... Hell, I find it difficult just to use the toilet on a train, even without a time restriction. :D
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!

-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-

Patches:
Company Station Stats
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OTTD] The Great Seto Bridge Scenario

Post by Densha »

As always, just google it or wikipedia it. There's tons of info on Japanese trains on the English wikipedia.
The Marine Liner runs from Okayama to Takamatsu so it fits entirely within your scenario, it's actually my all-time favourite train. It runs with 223-500 series with a special 5000 series double decker cab car: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Liner The double decker car is not available for OTTD, but the 223 series is.

PouncingAnt wrote:If you're interested, I just finished a map of the whole of Shikoku (gotta love bank holiday weekends)
Oh yes I am, that's even more amazing. You can use the DF50, DE10, DD51 for passenger and freight as well in that case. And the KiHa58, KiHa181 and KiHa 185 in JNR and JR Shikoku colours. Modern JR Shikoku EMU's aren't available for OTTD unfortunately so be sure to set OTTD so that all trains will be available forever.
Lookie here for all kind of stuff on JR Shikoku: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikoku_Railway_Company
JR Shikoku's own map: http://www.jr-shikoku.co.jp/01_trainbus ... index.shtm
Rolling stock: http://www.jr-shikoku.co.jp/01_trainbus ... rinfo.shtm
EDIT: Just looked at some of those sleeper trains... I'm amazed at what they cram into the deluxe compartments...link

EDIT2: I couldn't help but laugh at this "There is a shower room beside the public space. You have to buy a shower card from the conductor at 200 yen for 6 minutes. Only 20 cards are sold in the train." ... Just 6 minutes to shower on a moving train... Hell, I find it difficult just to use the toilet on a train, even without a time restriction. :D
I find those bi-level cars of the Sunrise Express where you have to sleep next to eachother in rows also interesting, although I'm not sure if I could sleep in such a place.
Maybe there's a limited water reservoir that is empty after 20×6 minutes???
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PouncingAnt »

So much information :) Thanks for sharing! I may be in danger of becoming a JR Shikoku nerd myself!

I'll post the Shikoku scenario this evening (I'm supposed to be working now :roll: ). Its a lot bigger (1023x512), but even so it was impossible to get some of the villages in where they came too close to each other*. Anyway, keep an eye out, I'll probably put it in a new thread.
Maybe there's a limited water reservoir that is empty after 20×6 minutes???
I suspect so. I can't imagine it being economical to store vast amounts of water. Though its pretty impressive that they have showers at all, I guess (certainly seems impressive compared to the commuter trains I'm used to over here!).

*I was just going to have the major population centres, but this rendered the South West of Shikoku completely bare of anything to do...

-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-

Patches:
Company Station Stats
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

Maybe look at google maps for the train station icons and at the maps I linked, you can find out the towns along the routes so you could put the towns with (larger/interesting) stations on the map.
I still think that's a bit small for such a big island as Shikoku, but on the other hand it will take a long time until you actually have built a network on such a large map so I think it's good.
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PouncingAnt »

You're right. I could have doubled the map size and added all a much larger set of towns. However, I've attempted this sort of thing before and found that it takes such a long time that I get bored of making the map halfway through (I have a half-finished Kagawa scenario on my old computer, 1024x2048 if I recall).

As for the towns I actually included, I used a set of US army maps and took those towns with populations of above 2500 wherever they would fit. I hope that covers all the interesting ones.

But I wouldn't expect the scenario to keep you occupied for weeks or anything.. It only took me the latter half of yesterday to do an adequate recreation of the rails shown on the US maps (although I missed out the Tokushima Honsen between Ikeda and Tokushima, and spent time creating the route between Kochi and Matsuyama* instead). That said, I was constructing very messily by the end of the day, so it might take longer if done more true-to-life.

Maybe look at google maps for the train station icons
A good idea, but because I wanted to stay as true as I could to the situation represented on the map**, there will be some differences to what Google shows (town mergers etc. plus the fact that the population was presumably an awful lot less back then).

*according to the maps, the Matsuyama-Kochi line was still under construction during 1945

**To me, the goal was to make as much of a historical map as possible, so that one could either pursue the role of the rail companies, or the highways, or industry. A lot of interesting developments occurred since 1945: The Seto Bridges project (of course), the completion of the modern rail network in Shikoku, the construction of the expressways. etc. Though I guess it wouldn't take too much work to convert the scenario from this generic view to a rail-orientated one. :)

-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-

Patches:
Company Station Stats
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

I don't have full knowledge about every single line but out of my head but I know approximately where the railway lines in Shikoku are. I'll just print the official network map and build how I think/know it should be, I have zero knowledge about highways but I noticed you put some instruction texts on the map so that might help. There are also a few non-JR railway lines (Tosa, Iyotetsu, Kotoden,...).
Either way I'm sure it'll be entertaining and I'm kind of a slow player so I'm sure it'll take me a while to complete it.

Edit: now that I think about it, the Great Seto bridge exists of multiple bridges in different styles. The Total Bridge renewal set for Japanese set features (almost) all bridges needed, but the standard bridges don't really. If you're going with a Shikoku map you may also want to include the Hiroshima trams, the set also included some Iyotetsu tram used in Matsuyama, of course you need a tram track set with that as well.
I tried editing the Seto scenario myself, but I can't seem to be able change these things. Is is actually possible to change grf's after making a scenario?
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PouncingAnt »

It is possible, yes. You either have to edit your openttd.cfg (change scenario_developer to true*) or use the console (type setting scenario_developer true).

* I didn't try this way myself, it might be that the value 1 is used instead of "true"

-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-

Patches:
Company Station Stats
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

Yeah you're right, even though there's tons of warnings about changing a GRF from a scenario or saved game it works great. I now have the Iyotetsu trams and Japan bridge set in the Shikoku scenario, I find that it looks much better like that.
Slightly off-topic, but do you have any recommendations about a road vehicles set? They are the only standard vehicles left and I would like to replace them with more realistically/better-looking, not necessarily Japanese, vehicles.
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PouncingAnt »

To be honest, I'm not sure what would fit, I've not used an RV grf for ages. I'm glad you got everything else working though

-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-

Patches:
Company Station Stats
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

For realism I quite like George's Long Vehicles set, but it contains mostly european vehicles so I don't know how well it would fit.

http://george.zernebok.net/newgrf/downloads.html#dlv4
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

Thanks, it has quite some early vehicles that I think fit in Japanese landscapes. The late ones are a bit too European for my tastes but still better than the default ones.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”