WIP: Beach object tiles, Version 1.2 released (20 february 2016)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: WIP: Beach object tiles

Post by Zephyris »

OpenGFX and the original base graphics use an identical shading scheme.

I know because I specifically copied the relative brightnesses of the different slopes in the original graphics as a basis for drawing the OpenGFX ones.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

It is an interesting discussion, but I think it is better to continue that in a seperate thread and not this one.

For the moment I will stick to the shading that I showed earlier, for me it is fine now.
So time to move on, I made some changes to my umbrella design, how does this look? (please note that there won't be that many on a tile in the finished product, they will be mixed with people and beachtowels):
Beach36.png
Beach36.png (159.91 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

As said above some shadows would be nice
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

And maybe some variation? Now all tiles with the same slope have the same pattern. Also the poles are more clearly seen in some umbrellas, while in others they are almost invisible, my personal preference is to have them a bit less visible, but not grey/black as they are now.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Coxx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Coxx »

very nice development here :D
are you planing other objects that are not exactly beach like i.e. rocks, low tide area, sandbank, wrecks, ...?
Attachments
7207126-rocks-in-the-water-kauai-hawaii.jpg
7207126-rocks-in-the-water-kauai-hawaii.jpg (26.45 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
73840856_520f9b526a.jpg
73840856_520f9b526a.jpg (89.72 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
SAINT_BEDAN_341.jpg
SAINT_BEDAN_341.jpg (77.42 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Quast65 wrote:So time to move on, I made some changes to my umbrella design, how does this look?
The umbrellas don't look as distinguished as previous designs, but the scale look to be more correct. I think I could be happy with either.
Bob_Mackenzie wrote:As said above some shadows would be nice
Without making the set 32bpp or having extra zoom levels, I don't see how you could get shadows worked in there and be able to distinguish it from the other blobs that make up sand and umbrellas.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

kamnet wrote:Without making the set 32bpp or having extra zoom levels, I don't see how you could get shadows worked in there and be able to distinguish it from the other blobs that make up sand and umbrellas.
What's wrong with 32bpp?
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Supercheese wrote:
kamnet wrote:Without making the set 32bpp or having extra zoom levels, I don't see how you could get shadows worked in there and be able to distinguish it from the other blobs that make up sand and umbrellas.
What's wrong with 32bpp?
I dunno, why you ask me?
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

Either way, creating shadows is not just about the amount of colours, and the ttd palette is well over sufficient for that. It is how you draw it, not just what does it run on - contrast can be reached in both cases the same way.
ImageImageImage
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Quast65 wrote:It is an interesting discussion, but I think it is better to continue that in a seperate thread and not this one.

For the moment I will stick to the shading that I showed earlier, for me it is fine now.
So time to move on, I made some changes to my umbrella design, how does this look? (please note that there won't be that many on a tile in the finished product, they will be mixed with people and beachtowels):
Beach36.png
Good evening. Looks very good. Cool :D . Can I ask you, and when will be able to see a test version to evaluate?
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

-Regarding shadows:
I have decided not to draw shadows under the umbrella's, I don't think that it would look that good (and due to the small scale, it may even not be recognisable as shadows), furthermore I would then also have to give the people and buildings on the beach shadows too and I think that it would create a visual mess.
Also there are almost no shadows on any of the other buildings and features in this game, so I don't see why these would need some.
And finally it is quite a lot of work to draw shadows on slopes etc, as they would have to have different shapes.

-Regarding other stuff (rocks, shipwrecks, etc):
I'm not planning to make those just yet (I am planning to work on some other features first, swimming people, surfers, etc), but all help is welcome, so if someone can't resist to draw them, please do ;-)
Can I ask you, and when will be able to see a test version to evaluate?
I am getting very close to the release of version 1.0 (with many thanks to Wallyweb for his kind help with some coding issues).
All basic tiles are done, currently I'm working on the graphics for the people/towels/umbrella's on the beach and then it is ready for a release ;-)

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Quast65 wrote: I am getting very close to the release of version 1.0 (with many thanks to Wallyweb for his kind help with some coding issues).
All basic tiles are done, currently I'm working on the graphics for the people/towels/umbrella's on the beach and then it is ready for a release ;-)
Thank you :) . I will wait. You have great projects. With pleasure use in their games :wink: .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Well people, the wait is over!
I proudly present version 1.0 of the Beach object GRF, don't forget to bring sunscreen lotion!! 8)

Here is the GRF with the GPLv2 license and readme in a .ZIP:
Beach_v1_0.zip
(198.54 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
The PCX-graphics:
beach_v1_0.pcx
(778.81 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
The NFO-code:
beach_v1_0.nfo
(129.34 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Please be aware that this set is based on the OpenGFX landscape and water graphics and will therefore look at it's best with those landscape and water graphics installed!

Version 1.0 includes:
- Beachtiles with no shoreline (empty, with beachhouse and with people/towels/umbrella's)
- Beachtiles with OpenGFX shoreline (empty, with beachhouse and with people/towels/umbrella's)
- Beachtiles with shallow shoreline (empty, with beachhouse and with people/towels/umbrella's)
- Shallow watertiles, unanimated (empty and with people/towels/umbrella's)
- Shallow watertiles, with an animated wave (empty and with people/towels/umbrella's)
- Transition pieces (OpenGFX grass to beach)

Have fun!

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: WIP: Beach object tiles, Version 1.0 released

Post by Supercheese »

Very nice objects, just as amazing as I thought they'd be! :bow:
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Very cool, Isn't it an idea to make a Seashores set?

The harbors, Beaches delta works all in one set. Maybe add some Dikes or cliffs.
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Very cool :D ! Thanks for the execution of a set of graphics :D .
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Great job! One problem I did run into, you may need to load Beach Objects ahead of MariCo. I found a couple of Beach Object tiles loading itself into MariCo's Moles if MariCo was placed first. This may be an issue with my constantly changing NewGRFs and NewObjects in-game (DON'T DO THIS IF YOU DON'T WANNA DEAL W/ ISSUES!) and thus have messed up the config files, but I put that warning out just in case anybody else experiences it.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Thnx all, glad you like it!
@Kamnet, thnx for the warning. However I didn't experience any problems, I tried it out with a new game (MariCo before Beach and the other way around) and also in an existing game and as said had no problems.
I also checked if I might have used the same Class Text ID as MariCo for my objects (AFAIK those determine where and in what order the objects show up in the menu), but mine are totally different.
So I think the problem might be caused by what you already suspect with the multiple changes to newGRF's in your game ;-)
Have you tried it out with a "clean" game with MariCo loaded before Beach?

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Yeah on a clean game looks like it works out okay. Haven't experienced any other issues in my current game other than the category mix-up.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

When will it become available, when can I expect delivery of this NewGRF to the retail stores? :D

Return to “Graphics Development”