[OTTD] Dutch Tracks Development (0.1.0-Alpha1 released)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Dutch Trackset Development Thread (Artists wanted

Post by Transportman »

You only have to provide the tracks + underlay (so the underlay sprites partially without sleepers and ballast), for the lights I will use a number of sprites provided by Purno.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Yoshi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Yoshi »

ok then we'll see ;)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

And they are in. I just pushed the code and graphics to the DevZone, so they should be available in r65 when everything works (so no capitalization errors or other things that my local system just ignores but the DevZone does complain about).

Thanks to Yoshi for the graphics.

[EDIT]DevZone didn't complain and made a nice nightly for all of you, to download here[/EDIT]
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

I just finalised the level crossing lights for the Metro Tracks and committed them to the DevZone, so that completes the Metro Tracks for now. They are included in r66, but because I had to remove an old file after that, the next nightly will be r67.
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Some little bugs in joints:
bug.png
(139.09 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

jor[D]1 wrote:Some little bugs in joints:
You mean the fact that the sleepers are visible over the other tracks? That also happens in the original OpenGFX tracks, but less visible because the first sleeper in that sprite is not on the edge.

I can solve it by removing the sleepers from the overlay sprites. That might be a good idea, because the overlay sprites are used for joints and for reserved tracks and they look really ugly when they are reserved because OpenTTD makes them some sort of grayscale/darker, so when the sleepers are removed from those sprites the track will lighten up a bit because the underlay sleepers will still be visible and coloured.
Yoshi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Yoshi »

Thanks...

I overlooked this :)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

I removed the sleepers from the overlay sprites, see the attached screenshot. I am not completely happy, I think there should be some sleepers, but that will look strange with reserved track when only half of the sleepers gets a different colour, so some opinions on it would be appreciated.
Attachments
Little Peside Transport, 22nd Nov 2100.png
Screenshot
(47.89 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Something else, why is the rail in the horizontla view so high? Isn't 1 pixel enough?
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

jor[D]1 wrote:Something else, why is the rail in the horizontla view so high? Isn't 1 pixel enough?
I agree that it looks a bit high and 1 px will be enough. I think removing the top pixels (the darkest) is the way to go, so that the tracks don't look that dark compared to the other directions. I'll try to get that done today.

For the other tracks I think I will mostly recolour sprites to start with and work from there. I don't have a lot of free time at this moment, so it will take some time before that is done.

Colour schemes I have in mind at this moment:
Unelectrified/1500V DC: default OpenTTD rail (looks quite like the Dutch lines with brownish underlay and greyish tracks)
Yard/Station rail: Whitish underlay but standard OpenTTD rail if possible (like the new part of Den Haag Brinckhorst)
HSL: Concrete like underlay, no sleepers (I only know it from pictures, and some show with sleepers, others without, so to make it really different from the other tracks, no sleepers)
Futuristic: No plans yet.
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Dutch HSL has no sleepers. And is laid in concrete mostly
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Transportman wrote:
jor[D]1 wrote:Something else, why is the rail in the horizontla view so high? Isn't 1 pixel enough?
I agree that it looks a bit high and 1 px will be enough. I think removing the top pixels (the darkest) is the way to go, so that the tracks don't look that dark compared to the other directions. I'll try to get that done today.
And this is how it looks. I'm not completely happy with it, since I just copied the row above it to replace the old track part, so it needs some randomization to get some texture. I also noticed that some sleepers are missing 2 pixels, but that has been corrected in my files already (the sleepers slightly left and right of the middle of the _ parts)
Attachments
Unnamed, 1st Jan 2000.png
(37.68 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Sleepers in _ are still too wide. Should be 2px max.

As for the track height in _ view, I think 2px makes sense. In | it's 1px wide, here you see only the width of the track. In _ you have a combined side/top view. And since rail track is about three times as high as it's wide...
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

FooBar wrote:Sleepers in _ are still too wide. Should be 2px max.

As for the track height in _ view, I think 2px makes sense. In | it's 1px wide, here you see only the width of the track. In _ you have a combined side/top view. And since rail track is about three times as high as it's wide...
I personally like the 1px height in the _ view, I found the 2px just to much (but that also could have been the dark colour). I will take a look at the sleeper size, now that you say it, they indeed look very wide.

I'm having some doubt about modifying the sleeper size wrt to sizes and distances. Should I make them 2px and then the next one after another 2px or should it be 3 or 4px?
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Just a small update on the progress (or the lack thereof) on this set:

Because of some RL projects I have not yet had the time or motivation to work further on this since my previous post. Since those projects will run until the start of July it is not very likely I will have a lot of time to work on the graphics. Since the code is 90% done and graphics can easily be included once they are made, I would really appreciate if people help me out by doing some graphical work.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Dutch Trackset Development Thread (On Hold)

Post by Quast65 »

Hi all! First of all nice work! Can't wait to get a full release for my railnetworks in my Dutch scenario's.

I am however playtesting with the nightlies (have version r71) and I have a question about the behaviour of the tracks when placed next to each other in vertical direction. Especially when they are in the same tile. Is it not yet possible to have different tracktypes next to each other? Or is this not going to be possible because of restrictions of the game itself? See pic:
Rails01.png
Rails01.png (86.64 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Yoshi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Yoshi »

That's a restriction of the game itself.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Quast65 wrote:Hi all! First of all nice work! Can't wait to get a full release for my railnetworks in my Dutch scenario's.
Thanks for the nice words. As stated in my previous post, this set is currently on hold, so don't expect a full release soon. I don't have a lot of free time at this moment to work on it and it is mostly graphics that have to be done and I just don't have the time and skills to really work on that.
I am however playtesting with the nightlies (have version r71) and I have a question about the behaviour of the tracks when placed next to each other in vertical direction. Especially when they are in the same tile. Is it not yet possible to have different tracktypes next to each other? Or is this not going to be possible because of restrictions of the game itself? See pic:
Like Yoshi said, that is a game restriction. You can't have two tracktypes on the same tile, OpenTTD converts the latest one to the already placed one.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Just as a heads-up: I started preparatory work for the train set to support the track set yesterday.

In a week or so the train set will also support the track set (provided that the track set follows the standardized railtype scheme as published on the wiki, but I assume it does) :D
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

FooBar wrote:Just as a heads-up: I started preparatory work for the train set to support the track set yesterday.

In a week or so the train set will also support the track set (provided that the track set follows the standardized railtype scheme as published on the wiki, but I assume it does) :D
It should do that, I did code that 2 weeks ago (or something like that). See issue 3927 for the labels. If there is something wrong, just let me know, it is easy to fix.

Return to “Graphics Development”