FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translatio

Post by planetmaker »

PaulC wrote:
andythenorth wrote:Yeah, but I don't want to use UK names too much, I prefer US, it's like having a holiday, hence prior debate about Brit English or not.
Why not have seperate UK and US translations? That's what they're for after all...
+1 from me as well. It makes perfect sense and is easily feasible. It just needs someone with the knowledge of the difference to sort it out. Actually it would even suffice to just provide AE strings for those where it differs from BE.
OliTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OliTTD »

Station names: what happened between FIRS v0.7.2 and r2739 (I compiled the latest)? Language problem? STR_ strings missing?

Edit: ok, sorry, my mistake (again :oops: ), I missed the two new strings, STR_TOWN and STR_STATION. I compiled r2740 with my latest translation, it works correctly now. Attached file updated in previous post.
Attachments
French station names alright, but twice Montréal Fabrique although different stations (not merged).
French station names alright, but twice Montréal Fabrique although different stations (not merged).
oTTD-FIRS_v0.7.2-FrenchNames.png (116.12 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Station names according to industries but in English, not French.
Station names according to industries but in English, not French.
oTTD-FIRS_r2739-EnglishNames.png (127.53 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Last edited by OliTTD on 19 Apr 2012 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

andythenorth wrote:
PaulC wrote:Depends what I'm volunteering for. :P You're already using UK English for your default language, and I don't speak American...
Could move the current language to US, I'll maintain that one, you do British English? :o :)
Just seen your comment. It's your call, and I guess that depends on how the translations end up varying. Anyway, thanks to MS Word's spell checker and Wikipedia I've put together some US and Australian translations (attached below), which you can feel free to use/modify/discard. :)

Some general comments, queries and suggestions regarding industry names and such:
- Licence should be spelled with a "c" in UK English. ;)
- Food Market: This looks like a small shop to me and is hard to spot amongst the houses. Would "Grocery Store", "Greengrocers Shop", "Convenience Store" or "General Store" not be more accurate descriptions? "Food Market" to me suggests a market hall or outdoor marketplace.
- Forest: "Forest Plantation" might perhaps be more accurate and descriptive, as the industry is purely for logging. It's not like Epping Forest, for example.
- Junk Yard: "Scrap Yard" seems to be the more usual UK term, "Junk Yard" is more American I think.
- Petrol Pump: "Petrol Station" is the more common UK term, at least in my area.
- Smithy Forge: Just "Smithy" (or "Forge"), surely?
- Stockyard: Seems a bit obscure to me. I know "Abbatoir" and "Slaughterhouse" have been discussed above, but either would be better IMHO. Or perhaps "Meat Packing Plant"?
- Coal Mine: Coillery?
- Fishing Grounds: Fishery?
- Grain Mill: Grist Mill or Flour Mill?
- Hardware Store: DIY Store?
- Oil Rig: Oil Platform (more correct)?
- Steel Mill: Steelworks (or Steel Works)?

I also spotted "Retail Market" and "Supermarket" in the texts, but I don't see them in the grf. :? Are these planned or obsolete industries? Also, what happened to those fine windmills that were in 0.7.1?

Finally, are the reused arctic hotel graphics just a placeholder? It's a bit hard to tell which are the industries and which are the buildings in arctic climate...
Attachments
english_AU.lng
(212 Bytes) Downloaded 59 times
english_US.lng
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I don't think DIY is a good translation for hardware store: DIY's replaced the function of classical hardware stores nowadays. But before DIY was made popular a hardware stop was a shop in a street that (originally) sold tools, locking materials and fastening materials.

The Dutch translation als went for DIY and It annoys me :(.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

PaulC wrote: - Coal Mine: Coillery?
wrt coal mine, oil rig and steel mill: Those industry do basically what the default industries do. Naming them differently would be quite confusing for not much reason IMHO. Maybe the default industries need a re-naming, I'm not a native speaker.

fishing grounds vs. fishery: I think fishing grounds is more accurate. Fishes are not grown there nor fed. They're just dragged out of the sea, thus a place where fish is naturally found. Fishery to me implies that humans see that they are fed and can well bred, free of natural enemies.

hardware store: to me the clearer term and also fitting in times prior to 1980s

grain mill: the slight advantage of this word (it's a valid name for it afaik), is that it's clearer to non-native speakers
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Yeah, I guess DIY is a more modern (more British?) term, and perhaps less suitable. Just throwing out a few suggestions... :)
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

I agree with some of PaulC's suggested name changes...
Food Market -> Greengrocers'
Junk Yard -> Scrapyard (definitely, if this is UK English)
Petrol Pump -> Petrol Station (Perhaps only post-1970ish? Is that possible?)
Stockyard -> Slaughterhouse? (not sure)
Coal Mine -> Colliery (Both just sound better, don't sound like invented names. ->)
Steel Mill -> Steelworks (Surely their similarity to default industries is obvious despite a name change?)

Forest Plantation sounds cumbersome and unnecessary. Thetford Forest, near where I live, is one of these.
Smithy Forge - it's a smithy's forge :P
Grain Mill is a bit odd, at least it's descriptive...perhaps call the windmills Windmill though :wink:
I think planetmaker covered everything else I would have said...
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I would prefer "Grocery Store" over "Food Market" -- at least for American English.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Hitperson
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hitperson »

planetmaker wrote:
PaulC wrote: - Coal Mine: Coillery?
wrt coal mine, oil rig and steel mill: Those industry do basically what the default industries do. Naming them differently would be quite confusing for not much reason IMHO. Maybe the default industries need a re-naming, I'm not a native speaker.

fishing grounds vs. fishery: I think fishing grounds is more accurate. Fishes are not grown there nor fed. They're just dragged out of the sea, thus a place where fish is naturally found. Fishery to me implies that humans see that they are fed and can well bred, free of natural enemies.

hardware store: to me the clearer term and also fitting in times prior to 1980s

grain mill: the slight advantage of this word (it's a valid name for it afaik), is that it's clearer to non-native speakers
is a fishery not where fish are processed after being caught??
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Updated Italian version...
Attachments
italian.lng
Updated Italian version
(26.13 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Food Market: This looks like a small shop to me and is hard to spot amongst the houses. Would "Grocery Store", "Greengrocers Shop", "Convenience Store" or "General Store" not be more accurate descriptions? "Food Market" to me suggests a market hall or outdoor marketplace
Its a Corner Shop
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

OliTTD wrote:I think that boucherie industrielle (industrial butcher shop/trade?) will do the trick in French, it's ambiguous/neutral enough because such an industry could be large enough to have its own slaughterhouse and accept livestock on one side, and it could have all the food processing chain(s) to produce finished products on the other side.
What about usine de conditionnement or something like that?
OliTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OliTTD »

arikover wrote:
OliTTD wrote:I think that boucherie industrielle (industrial butcher shop/trade?) will do the trick in French, it's ambiguous/neutral enough because such an industry could be large enough to have its own slaughterhouse and accept livestock on one side, and it could have all the food processing chain(s) to produce finished products on the other side.
What about usine de conditionnement or something like that?
Nice, though it would be closer to meat packer, but imo it is too generic a term as it could be used for any food or pharma products or anything else that needs conditioning, not just meat.
It should then be specified Usine de conditionnement alimentaire, but this is a mouthful or should I say a "label full"! Imagine a little city like Saint-Nom-la-Bretèche, that would result in Saint-Nom-la-Bretèche Usine de conditionnement alimentaire. Not sure it would fit on a label :lol: ! IIRC, there is a length limit.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Snail wrote:Updated Italian version...
Hi Snail,

I tried adding this but I get the following errors on compile. Someone here will probably know how to fix this (I don't) :D

Code: Select all

[CLEAN]
[CLEAN NML]
[DEP] firs.src.dep
[LANG] custom_tags.txt
[CPP] firs.nml
[DEP] firs.gfx.dep
Error in language file "lang/italian.lng": "lang/italian.lng", line 32: Invalid number of arguments to plural command, expected 0 but got 2
[DEP] Makefile.dep
[NML] firs.grf
Error in language file "lang/italian.lng": "lang/italian.lng", line 32: Invalid number of arguments to plural command, expected 0 but got 2
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I love the new feature that names stations after nearby industries, but could it also be made to work with the default industries (fruit plantation, steel mill, etc.)?

andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Supercheese wrote:I love the new feature that names stations after nearby industries, but could it also be made to work with the default industries (fruit plantation, steel mill, etc.)?
In FIRS? Or in default game. Assuming you mean FIRS, yes, it can.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

andythenorth wrote:In FIRS? Or in default game. Assuming you mean FIRS, yes, it can.
I do mean in FIRS. :)

Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

It seems you forgot to commit my latest update to the Hungarian translation and it didn't make it into 0.7.3. Not a big deal though, there weren't any big changes :wink:

Anyway, here is a new version of the Hungarian translation:
Attachments
hungarian.lng
(32.83 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

Return to “Graphics Development”