Force-activate grf on title screen [OTTD]

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PaulC
Director
Director

Force-activate grf on title screen [OTTD]

Post by PaulC »

I'm trying to use an action E to force-activate a grf on OTTD's title screen, but I can't get it to work. :? I've got the following two lines above my action 8:

Code: Select all

1 * 6	 07 92 01 \7! 00 01
    2 * 6	 0E 01 "PC" B0 01
I've checked the wiki and can't see what (if anything) I've done wrong, and a quick test in TTDP suggests that the code is good. I've tried changing the first line to an action 9 and moving these lines below the action 8, but no joy. Does OTTD require something else, or is this feature simply not supported?

Any help would be appreciated!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Force-activate grf on title screen [OTTD]

Post by planetmaker »

PaulC wrote:I'm trying to use an action E to force-activate a grf on OTTD's title screen, but I can't get it to work. :?
There's no way to activate NewGRFs in the title screen unless you use a different title game. The current selection of NewGRFs from the NewGRF config has no way to influence that - which has been changed deliberately to be this way (I forgot all the detailed reasons, but iirs it was along the lines of that interfering with NewGRF config for new games and improper results when configuring new games)
Last edited by planetmaker on 07 Oct 2011 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

OpenTTD doesn't implement the "force activation of current NewGRF" part of action E, nor will support for that be added.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

planetmaker wrote:There's no way to activate NewGRFs in the title screen unless you use a different title game. The current selection of NewGRFs from the NewGRF config has no way to influence that - which has been changed deliberately to be this way (I forgot all the detailed reasons, but iirs it was along the lines of it interfering with NewGRF config and improper results when configuring new games)
I meant the title screen menus as opposed to the title game, assuming that makes a difference.
Yexo wrote:OpenTTD doesn't implement the "force activation of current NewGRF" part of action E, nor will support for that be added.
Why not? I found an old bug report on Flyspray which suggests that this was not always the case. Was support for this removed for some reason (what planetmaker refers to)?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

PaulC wrote:
planetmaker wrote:There's no way to activate NewGRFs in the title screen unless you use a different title game. The current selection of NewGRFs from the NewGRF config has no way to influence that - which has been changed deliberately to be this way (I forgot all the detailed reasons, but iirs it was along the lines of it interfering with NewGRF config and improper results when configuring new games)
I meant the title screen menus as opposed to the title game, assuming that makes a difference.
It doesn't. As that means the NewGRF must be active in the title game.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Can someone add a note to the GRF specs making it clear that this feature is not supported by OTTD? I'd do it myself but I can't log into the wiki.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Yexo wrote:... nor will support for that be added.
A friendly "why" might help the questioner to be more accepting of the situation. 8)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

really simple: the title game is a savegame, and GRFs cannot be changed in existing savegames.

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”