NML - a Newgrf Meta Language

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NML - a Newgrf Meta Language

Post by Eddi »

actually, var 0C has a name: "current_callback", the "deprecated" part is that it is recommended to handle callbacks in the graphics block, instead of manually in a switch.

i hereby suggest syntax for procedures:

Code: Select all

CALL(switch_name)
for the programmer, this would then look like STORE/LOAD/etc.

this could automatically expand to NFO: ((var7E & 0) + var1C) to get the full 32-bit result
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

What is the difference between the various error levels? I want to display a message like with FATAL when certain parameters* are set wrong, but I want to continue loading so that users can still change the parameters and solve it without too much problems. The ERROR level would be fine, but it doesn't give the big warning I want.

*The parameters set the availability of vehicles by changing the climates_available property, so changing during running games is relatively safe.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Except normal users cannot change parameters of loaded newgrfs
(disable your developer rights to see what a user will see)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Transportman wrote:What is the difference between the various error levels? I want to display a message like with FATAL when certain parameters* are set wrong, but I want to continue loading so that users can still change the parameters and solve it without too much problems. The ERROR level would be fine, but it doesn't give the big warning I want.

*The parameters set the availability of vehicles by changing the climates_available property, so changing during running games is relatively safe.
That's not needed.

Either the person generates a new game. Then they can go back to the creation process and change parameters prior to map generation and re-generate the map. Once the map is created, no parameter can be changed. And you either error out and disable your grf which results in a red message to pop up. Or you issue an error which the user will see in the grf config.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I created forest replacement newgrf. I did not specified its name, therefore it inherited it from original forest name.
It works fine without another industry newgrf, but if other industry is loaded, there are two different industry with same name.
For a special reasons, I need to have both, but without name disambiguation.
Is it possible (without complicated "if grf status" chains) to keep original industry name without other industry set and change it if other industry sets are present?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

McZapkie wrote:I created forest replacement newgrf. I did not specified its name, therefore it inherited it from original forest name.
It works fine without another industry newgrf, but if other industry is loaded, there are two different industry with same name.
For a special reasons, I need to have both, but without name disambiguation.
Is it possible (without complicated "if grf status" chains) to keep original industry name without other industry set and change it if other industry sets are present?
No. You would need to check for each grf you want to be compatible with explicitly.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Is it possible to make transparent overlay on sloped ground?
I want to draw dirty tack as part of industry, on sloped grass tile:

spritelayout logging_camp_slope_road_13_tile_layout {  
 ground { sprite: GROUNDSPRITE_NORMAL; } 
childsprite {  
 		sprite: logging_camp_slope_road_13_sprite ; 
 		always_draw: 1; 
 	} 
} 
tile_check CB is set to appropriate slope and works fine, but I see no difference if autoslope CB is set to CB_RESULT_AUTOSLOPE or CB_RESULT_NO_AUTOSLOPE - in both cases I have "steps": flat tiles with foundations.
If foundations CB is set to NO, tile and road is sloped, but weird glitches appears (smudges from nearby sprites) if screen is zoomed or moved.

EDIT: I just realised, that GROUNDSPRITE_NORMAL is valid for flat sprites only,
sprite: slope_to_sprite_offset(SLOPE_XX) + GROUNDSPRITE_NORMAL; solved the problem.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I want to change productivity and simultaneously store flag to register:

switch(FEAT_INDUSTRIES, SELF, industry_steel_mill_acceptance_switch_off, 
(((waiting_cargo_1 > 2700) ? STORE_PERM(0,0x01) : waiting_cargo_1) * 
 ((waiting_cargo_2 > 1700) ? STORE_PERM(0,0x02) : waiting_cargo_2)
)
) {
 0 : return industry_steel_mill_production_wait;  //one of waiting cargo == 0   
return industry_steel_mill_production_full;       // both waiting cargo > 0
} 
where returned are produce blocks, both registers have value 1 initialised.
Something is going wrong, seems that these waiting_cargo_x interfere each other,
For example, if first line is commented, and first cargo is delivered, 0x02 register is zeroed if FIRST cargo is above 1700.
Here is example with first cargo neglected:

((waiting_cargo_2 > 1700) ? STORE_PERM(0,0x02) : waiting_cargo_2)
) {
 0 : return industry_steel_mill_production_wait;  //one of waiting cargo == 0   
return industry_steel_mill_production_full;       // both waiting cargo > 0
} 
second cargo waiting is 0, but first cargo waiting is triggering STORE_PERM - why?
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Does it also happen the other way around (cargo 2 triggers storage you associate with 1)?

Also, are you sure you need > here and not <? I don't know the purpose of what you're coding, but based on the switch you posted I would have expected the other symbol.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Transportman wrote:Does it also happen the other way around (cargo 2 triggers storage you associate with 1)?
Yes, if I have

(((waiting_cargo_1 > 1600) ? STORE_PERM(0,0x01) : waiting_cargo_1) )) {...
first registry will be zeroed if coal is delivered, however coal is a second cargo:

accept_cargo_types:             [cargotype("IORE"),cargotype("COAL")];
Transportman wrote:Also, are you sure you need > here and not <? I don't know the purpose of what you're coding, but based on the switch you posted I would have expected the other symbol.
It is OK, initially both registers have value 1 (set by build_prod_change) and are zeroded if there is huge stockpile, to control industry tile cargo_amount_accept switch.
BTW, waiting_cargo_x works fine for industry tiles, whereas for industry, it looks like disambiguation.

Whole code is available here:
https://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ma ... ition.pnml
line 191, permanent register values are observed via extra text switch.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Strange, maybe you can check other industry sets, if they use waiting_cargo_x and what the expected result should be and what happens in game. Because I'm surprised a bug like this to stick around with multiple industry sets being made*.

*Not saying it cannot happen, I encountered a bug with vehicles that seems to have been around for 4 years without noticing.
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

I think you are implying too much magic with using STORE_PERM conditionally inside ? :

Without checking details, I would claim that NML does not short-circuit logical expressions; they are always evaluated as a whole, and thus your conditional storing does not work.

Use separate switches instead.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

frosch wrote:Use separate switches instead.
Or an array of expressions instead of one big expression:

[waiting_cargo_1 > 2700 ? STORE_PERM(0,0x01) : STORE_PERM(1,0x01),
 waiting_cargo_2 > 1700 ? STORE_PERM(0,0x02) : STORE_PERM(1,0x02),
 LOAD_PERM(0x01) && LOAD_PERM(0x02)]
)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Transportman wrote:maybe you can check other industry sets, if they use waiting_cargo_x
I don't recognise any industry set, which is using NML and waiting_cargo_x. ECS is written in pure NFO. FIRS is using cargo delivered data (cargo is consumed instantaneously).
frosch wrote:I would claim that NML does not short-circuit logical expressions
Maybe it is an explanation. And these expression arrays looks much more clear than my "jenga" condition statements style ;)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

McZapkie wrote:And these expression arrays looks much more clear than my "jenga" condition statements style ;)
They might look more clear, but when they are not working, they are kind of useless. And I don't know if they are working as I'm not doing industry sets, but if they work (or not), a short post would be nice.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

How often cargo_output switch is called?
I tried to implement such switch to cycle output cargoes, but seems that it is called only once when industry is founded.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

McZapkie wrote:How often cargo_output switch is called?
I tried to implement such switch to cycle output cargoes, but seems that it is called only once when industry is founded.
That is callback 14C. It is, indeed, called only when the industry is founded. There is no workaround for the 3-in 2-out cargo limitation for industries.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

cargo_classes variable: class of the currently transported cargo
- is it a bitmask of classes of the cargo to which the given vehicle is refitted?
I tried to make switch depending on cargo_classes variable, but It fails:

switch(FEAT_ROADVEHS, SELF, refit_LCV_valu_check_graphic_switch, cargo_classes & CC_ARMOURED) {  
	0: return good_amount_spriteset_LCV_graphic_switch; 
	return valu_spriteset_LCV_graphic;  
}  
switch(FEAT_ROADVEHS, SELF, refit_LCV_mail_check_graphic_switch, cargo_classes & CC_MAIL) {  
	0: return  refit_LCV_valu_check_graphic_switch; 
	return mail_spriteset_LCV_graphic;  
}  
where refit_LCV_mail_check_graphic_switch is called as default,
but it gives me armoured sprite if refitted to mail, and goods sprite if refitted to armoured or goods.
Any idea what I've messed up?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

McZapkie wrote:Any idea what I've messed up?
I don't see anything obvious, unless you've got your sprite sheets wrong.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Sprites are correctly set, cargo_type_in_veh switch works fine.

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”