Random Norwegian Town Names Generator

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Random Norwegian Town Names Generator

Post by Trond »

Took me some work before I figured out how to do this, but when I finally got it last night, it wasnt as hard as I tought :)

I have no idea how many random names it can generate, but I have no problems with maps containing 2000+ cities.

The generator is divided into four groups wich it can choose from, so from my testing there seem to be a lot of good random names, atleast for us norwegians. I started this project mainly to see if I could figure out how to do it, and in the end I think the result is rather good, and for me, also pleasing.

As I'm considering also uploading this to Bananas, I have packed it in a .tar file together with (all?) necessary files. Just drop the .tar file in your newgrf folder and start the game.

Goto 'Game Options' -> 'Town Names' and choose 'Random norwegian'/'Tilfeldige norske' and start a game.
Attachments
Gamle Ørnenuten Bro celebrates
Gamle Ørnenuten Bro celebrates
random.png (308.36 KiB) Viewed 8929 times
Random Norwegian Town Names.tar
v1.00
(25.5 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Random Norwegian Town Names Generator

Post by skippern »

Interesting, seems like you have got the hang of this type of name generation, are you up to helping me out getting the same for Brazilian names? There are only about 5500 existing Brazilian municipality (town) names, and additionally a few hundred historic names, many of which can be broken down to <prefix><name> or <name><suffix> or in some extreme cases <prefix><name><suffix> combinations.
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Random Norwegian Town Names Generator

Post by Alberth »

see https://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/townnames for a whole lot of random townname generation newgrfs. If you code it in NML, it's pretty much trivial.
Grab a few example sources from above, and read http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NML:Town_names

Return to “Graphics Releases”