Plaza as Industry (for eyecandy builds)

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Plaza as Industry (for eyecandy builds)

Post by 2TallTyler »

Are you tired of your eyecandy castles, villages, or airports not having any passengers? This one-tile industry (disguised as a base game fountain or statue, set by parameter) produces and accepts passengers to give your builds the visitors they deserve.

plaza1.PNG
plaza1.PNG (816.13 KiB) Viewed 11603 times
plaza2.PNG
plaza2.PNG (827.46 KiB) Viewed 11603 times
(VAST station tiles not included)

Now available in BaNaNaS: "Plaza as Industry". Source available on GitHub.

Details:
  • Appears to be compatible with FIRS 3, haven't tested with other industry sets
  • Uses the production rate and cost of FIRS hotels
  • Select its appearance as a base game fountain or statue in parameters
  • Nearby station named "<Town> Plaza"
Let me know any suggestions, concerns, or bugs.
Last edited by 2TallTyler on 27 Apr 2020 21:28, edited 2 times in total.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Plaza as Industry (for eyecandy builds)

Post by Kevo00 »

Now that is a very cool idea.
andres1555
Engineer
Engineer

Post by andres1555 »

Now a complete eyecandy city is possible
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

Found a bug with this. When used with any industry set (such as FIRS) and the Beaches you made, some of the industries provided by the other industry set have their specs changed so that they cannot receive or produce freight. It can be tested by creating a random map and checking the stats of all industry types through the industry list. It only seems to happen when this GRF is used with the Beaches you made, when only one or the other is used they don't cause the problem.
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
Tsylatac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tsylatac »

This at least appears to be compatible with ITI/ITL (despite ITI's disclaimer that it is not compatible with other industry sets); all the chains appear intact. No plazas spawned on map generation, but I assume funding-only is the intended behavior, so no complaints there.
Gadg8eer wrote: 19 May 2020 22:41 Found a bug with this. When used with any industry set (such as FIRS) and the Beaches you made, some of the industries provided by the other industry set have their specs changed so that they cannot receive or produce freight. It can be tested by creating a random map and checking the stats of all industry types through the industry list. It only seems to happen when this GRF is used with the Beaches you made, when only one or the other is used they don't cause the problem.
Just quoting this one to make sure the bug report wasn't missed. I haven't tried reproducing it, mostly because I'm lazy and not planning to use the beaches myself. :P
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Tsylatac wrote: 02 Aug 2020 02:00 This at least appears to be compatible with ITI/ITL (despite ITI's disclaimer that it is not compatible with other industry sets); all the chains appear intact.
Thanks for the test. That disclaimer is mostly aimed toward other full replacement sets like FIRS. I suspect it will work with one-off industries like this.
Tsylatac wrote: 02 Aug 2020 02:00 No plazas spawned on map generation, but I assume funding-only is the intended behavior, so no complaints there.
Yep, these are funding-only.
Tsylatac wrote: 02 Aug 2020 02:00
Gadg8eer wrote: 19 May 2020 22:41 Found a bug with this. When used with any industry set (such as FIRS) and the Beaches you made, some of the industries provided by the other industry set have their specs changed so that they cannot receive or produce freight. It can be tested by creating a random map and checking the stats of all industry types through the industry list. It only seems to happen when this GRF is used with the Beaches you made, when only one or the other is used they don't cause the problem.
Just quoting this one to make sure the bug report wasn't missed. I haven't tried reproducing it, mostly because I'm lazy and not planning to use the beaches myself. :P
Thanks for bumping this. I received that bug report in the midst of some personal, Covid-19 related chaos, so I totally forgot about it. I'll open an issue on GitHub so it doesn't get lost again.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Hi Gadg8eer,

I've tested this and have been unable to reproduce the bug. Can you provide a savegame, please?

Thanks!
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

2TallTyler wrote: 12 Aug 2020 20:49
Hi Gadg8eer,

I've tested this and have been unable to reproduce the bug. Can you provide a savegame, please?

Thanks!
I don't seem to have the issue anymore, and I don't remember how to reproduce it. Sorry for wasting your time.
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

No problem. I found some useful things in the code specs while trying to find potential causes, so it wasn't time wasted.
jm-ayala
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jm-ayala »

Hi 2tallTiller, I have a problem with this, my plazas dont look as a statue or fountain, they look as a coal mine!! :|

https://ibb.co/4TNXJS3

Im using FIRS set 3, with a lot of objects. sory for my english :roll:
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

jm-ayala wrote: 18 Sep 2020 17:28 Hi 2tallTiller, I have a problem with this, my plazas dont look as a statue or fountain, they look as a coal mine!! :|
Did you add or remove a NewGRF during the game? The coal mine is the fallback industry tile but I’ve only seen this happen when a NewGRF has been added or removed to a saved game.
jm-ayala
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jm-ayala »

That was fast! Thank you. Yes, I added it to my saved game, I was testing a lot of NewGRFs. I will edit my scenario and start again and see if that works.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

jm-ayala wrote: 18 Sep 2020 19:47 That was fast! Thank you. Yes, I added it to my saved game, I was testing a lot of NewGRFs. I will edit my scenario and start again and see if that works.
You should not add or remove NewGRFs from a scenario file after it is created, or it will introduce corruptions like this one. You will probably need to re-create the scenario from scratch, and have all the NewGRFs you want to use loaded before you start.
hrhold
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hrhold »

Can you make a plaza's appearance like gray tile without anything?(e.g. City Object's gray decoration tile) It is unnatural that the statues and fountains are attached one after another, and the transparency setting is also inconvenient to constantly cover industrial facilities, which led to this proposal
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

hrhold wrote: 12 Aug 2021 17:40
I am here with solution, but there are some notes. I did multi options overlaps objects, which cover this plaza and it nicely works. With VAST objects it's OK, because It's under GPLv2, with City Objects it's little problematic, because it!s under GPLv3 license, so it depends on flogeza.
flogeza wrote: 29 Oct 2021 17:16
It would be good to have undercounter graphics that solve this.
With VAST objects, I cut these path objects which didn't worked with desert (they were snowed) and now they can be used with it.

PAI.png
PAI.png (73.65 KiB) Viewed 5123 times
Attachments
overplazavast_32.png
(90.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ImageImageImageImageImage
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Skyscrapers * Garage Entrances
Modular Warehouses * Trucks & Buses Parking Lots * Bus Depots * Bus Terminals
Road Waypoints * Road Stops * Eyecandy Objects * Building Set

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:
Fredinho
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fredinho »

Hope those get released at some point, Fridaemon :)

Anyway, I'm having problems with Plaza as Industry. It won't let me place it anywhere. It just says "Can't build plaza here" but I've tried everywhere. As the only newgrf loaded and together with others (like FIRS4), but it still won't work. Not entirely sure it is a Plaza Industry problem though, I have the same problem with General Store in FIRS4. Maybe my game just has a one tile industry problem for some reason. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, it worked after I updated to the latest version of JGR :)
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

Fredinho wrote: 03 Aug 2022 15:51 Hope those get released at some point, Fridaemon :)

Anyway, I'm having problems with Plaza as Industry. It won't let me place it anywhere. It just says "Can't build plaza here" but I've tried everywhere. As the only newgrf loaded and together with others (like FIRS4), but it still won't work. Not entirely sure it is a Plaza Industry problem though, I have the same problem with General Store in FIRS4. Maybe my game just has a one tile industry problem for some reason. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, it worked after I updated to the latest version of JGR :)
There were an error in JGR 47.3 version: Fix not being able to construct industries of only one tile.
I was bugging him a lot on Discord about this a month ago :D

OK, I can add it next update.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Skyscrapers * Garage Entrances
Modular Warehouses * Trucks & Buses Parking Lots * Bus Depots * Bus Terminals
Road Waypoints * Road Stops * Eyecandy Objects * Building Set

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:

Return to “Graphics Releases”