OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

akasoft
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles

Post by akasoft »

A little update translation into Russian.
russian.lng
(5.45 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
DXTR
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DXTR »

Well guys, I've got some ideas of naming these cars, using mostly the existing brands of the original trucks, but there are also some new names too. Anyway, if you need a Hungarian translation, I may help you. ;)

Code: Select all

SAG Bulk Truck
Perry Bulk Truck
Moreland Bulk Truck
Talbott Flatbed Truck 
Dash Flatbed Truck
Schwartz Flatbed Truck
MPS Piece Goods Truck
Laverty Piece Goods Truck
APC Piece Goods Truck
Hereford Tank Truck
Digger Tank Truck
Goss Tank Truck
Frazier Refrigerated Truck
Witcombe Refrigerated Truck
Chippy Refrigerated Truck
I reject your reality and substitute my own! - Adam Savage, the mythbuster
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Thanks! I'll be actively asking for translations as soon as definitive names for models are chosen. I don't want to push translators twice :P

I made a tentative list with random names, to be committed when I finish with cargo sprites. I prefer your list, though :)

What are the opinions regarding both name lists? I'm more inclined to use the new one.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I think DXTR's lists fits the original names very well. Looks good to me!
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

I'm planning to release a new version either today or tomorrow. We already have translations for Dutch, German, Hungarian, Russian and Spanish. If your language is missing, please take a few minutes to help with the translation :)
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Here comes 0.3.1! 0.3.0 had a nasty bug so we are going to omit it :P

- Feature: Sprite support for Chemicals, Scrap Metal, Petrol, Lumber, Plastics, Engineering Supplies, Vehicles, Farm Supplies and Oil Seeds.
- Feature: Cargo takes more time to age in refrigerated trucks.
- Feature: Names for truck models.
- Feature: Add a parameter for enabling / disabling buses, trucks and trams separately.
- Change: Correct lumber capacity for the bulk and flatbed trucks.
This release completes cargo sprite support, unless someone is willing to spend more work on the cargos that are using generic sprites now. IT also adds the awaited truck model names, and gives refrigerated trucks a new role, making them better at carrying cargo for long times. Note that this feature will not be used in 1.1.x or earlier versions: you will need to use a nightly newer than r22713 to use it. You will notice that it is working when you see an additional description for refrigerated trucks in the buy vehicle list.

I hope you enjoy this new release. Don't forget to leave your comments here after playing! :)
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Version 0.4.0 has been released.

- Feature: Autorefit at road stops.
- Feature: Random recolouring for containers.
- Change: Tweak power and speed values for most trucks and buses.
- Add: French translation.
- Add: Lithuanian translation.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Version 0.4.1 has been released, and has been made available at the online content.

- Add: New and updated translations for Scottish Gaelic, Korean, Luxembourgish, Catalan, 
       Finnish, Chinese (traditional), Norwegian (bokmal), Indonesian, Russian, Hungarian, Dutch
We would like to thank all translators involved in making this little NewGRF more complete :)
meslinjf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by meslinjf »

I know this is an old thread, but would there be a way for me to change the graphics of this set of vehicles to match the original TTD? I tried using grf wizard to see both the .nfo and .pcx files, but I can't read the .pcx. It just gives me a gridded image with the palette.

I'm quite aware of the copyright restrictions for the old graphics, but this would be for my own personnal use. I've just always been used to the original TTD stuff and have some difficulty getting rid of it.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

GIMP and Photoshop will both open PCX files. I believe OpenGFX+RV as saved as PNG, but your editor likely wont care as long as you preserve the proper palette. I'm also pretty sure that the info files are not in NFO format but NML.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

You should be able to re-use the graphics from the base-set directly, and override statistics only.

Did you try just removing the new graphics?
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

meslinjf wrote:I know this is an old thread, but would there be a way for me to change the graphics of this set of vehicles to match the original TTD? I tried using grf wizard to see both the .nfo and .pcx files, but I can't read the .pcx. It just gives me a gridded image with the palette.

I'm quite aware of the copyright restrictions for the old graphics, but this would be for my own personnal use. I've just always been used to the original TTD stuff and have some difficulty getting rid of it.
grfwizard hasn't been a tool of choice for years due to its lack of support and continued development. This NewGRF has not been written in NFO but in NML, thus you want to grab the sources instead of tackling a blob of uncommented, unreadable NFO from a de-compiled NewGRF.

Generally you can only use the 'old' graphics if you skip showing any cargo variation on the vehicles which allow refitting - thus you remove one of the main features of this set. If you want to show cargoes, you have to provide sprites and cannot rely on the sprites being provided by the base set as they simply do not exist. If that doesn't bother you: you can simply skip using this set and use some NewGRF like 'old vehicles new cargoes' - which indeed might need some updating and I doubt that it has somewhere corresponding source.

The source of this NewGRF is linked in the readme.
meslinjf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by meslinjf »

Thank you both for the advice.

As you would guess, I'm quite new at coding and modding the game, but am on the process of learning as much as I can handle in my free time.

I've updated the grf codec files (now 6.0.5) which enables me to see and edit the .png graphics from the opengfx rv newgrf. From what I can see, I could simply replace and adapt the old rv graphics onto the new ones (as they are quite similar anyway) and encode the grf with the modified graphics. Would this do the trick? And is there another tool I can use to encode grf files apart from the wizard?

The decoded files, with the wizard, are the following:

ogfx-rv.nfo (blob of uncommented, unreadable NFO)
ogfx-rv00.32.png (has 0k and is unreadable)
ogfx-rv00.png (graphics)
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

I think it's much easier to start with the NFO source avaialable from this set's dev site, and change it to use the game's default sprites for its graphics. OpenGFX+ is an opensource project. You can find the source for RV set here.

Guessing from a quick read of this, you change the sprite_id: line to use the default sprite found in pages like this, except that last page only lists the sprite id for rail vehicles. I couldn't find the sprites for any other vehicle types. Are there tables available for them somewhere accessible?
meslinjf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by meslinjf »

This is all very interesting, and as you can guess, a little complicated for me.

Let's say I just change the .png graphics contained in the src\gfx file and give them the look I want (that is without overflowing the already existing blue frames)... How should I compile all those documents into a .grf? I'm trying to go through the nml tutorials, but they are not always very clear as to what I should install and what commands I should run.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If you used grfcodec to decode the NewGRF into separate PNG and NFO files, then you can use it to re-encode it. As long as grfcodec actually understands all of the NFO that was generated. No guarantee since the original source code wasn't NFO but NML.
meslinjf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by meslinjf »

I've had some difficulties modifying graphics with the files that were decompiled using the grfcodec so I was thinking of working from the source documents. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of how to compile the files to make an edited .grf
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Basically, you need an environment where you can run GNU Make and gcc.
For Linux or Mac users, that means installing some developers packages.
For Windows users, MinGW is a popular option. I personally use Cygwin, just because I'm more familiar with it.
We can give more detailsed guide once we know your environment.
meslinjf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by meslinjf »

I'm on Windows 10 and have downloaded the MinGW program. I can only wait for instructions now.

Return to “Graphics Releases”