Norwegian Funny Town Names Released

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Norwegian Funny Town Names Released

Post by Trond »

Norwegian Funny Town Names v4.00

Latest files (v4.00) can be found here.

Made a grf with some funny norwegian town names. All names are real, and 99% of them will only sound funny if you know norwegian (Hell is a very popular name for people from abroad). Ofcourse, adding a few hundred names (726 to be exact), not all of them are equally funny (a few not funny at all) but I had to fill up the file when I was doing it :P

Probably arent that many norwegians around, but atleast we are a few :)

Theres a new 'alphaversion' out now (06 Nov. 2013)

EDIT: Added an updated version, now at v2.13.

[I noticed that changing the file via overwriting could have some funny effect on savegames, so I renamed and will keep both two files here... Not sure what did it, but both files are working fine, but if you started a game with v1.13 you should keep that file loaded in that savegame, and change to v2.13 in the startupmenu as shown on picture below]

Changes:

* Fixed a typo.
* Fixed a language byte error.
* Changed a few more of the 'normal' town names to new funny town names I found.
* Added an extra sprite, so now there is one town name that have a 100% chance of being used... This also raises the count of names to 726.

I based this on one of the town names files from PaulC, its always good to have someone around that have figured things out already :bow:
Attachments
trond_norw_funny_names2.grf
(6.86 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
trond_norw_funny_names.grf
(6.83 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
Tissvassklumptjønnin celebrates
Tissvassklumptjønnin celebrates
morsomme.png (267.21 KiB) Viewed 11871 times
Last edited by Trond on 08 Dec 2013 10:13, edited 20 times in total.
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Norwegian Funny Town Names Released

Post by LordAzamath »

:O You've got random names or defined real names?
This grf makes me think I should add more variation to Estonian town names, released yesterday :D
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Defined real names, not random. But I might do one of those too some day :)

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

sure there are norweegians :)
Member of the
ImageImage
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Yeh, a few of us around here still :P

Bertrand Russell

Juhl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Juhl »

...and some Danes 8)
It's dangerous to be born, you will end up dead!
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Yeh, you danes have a lot of town names that are really funny if you are norwegian :D

Bertrand Russell

Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Added a quick 'how To' in my first post... And also an offer ;)

Excuse the doublepost...

Bertrand Russell

Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Why 725? Is this some kind of fixed value every 'cityname grf' has to comply to?
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

I dont really know, but if you want less than 725 names, there probably will be duplicates on bigger maps if there are a lot of towns? I could probably add more/less if I wished, but I havent tried...

Edit: Tried to add more names, and thats possible, so I guess I could make less names in a file too then...

Bertrand Russell

Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

I see.

Rřldal? Flĺm? Flĺt? Skjĺk?

Makes me wonder if your people ever heard of :idea: vowels... You must have some interesting pronunciation rules...
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

:lol:

We have 3 more letters in our alphabet than you guys do (probably, atleast 3 more than english alphabet, your profile says nothing about where you live).

æ ø å, and they probably turn out funny for you since you dont run with norwegian language in your game :)

Bertrand Russell

Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Trond wrote:your profile says nothing about where you live
That's fixed now. Seems we've got more non standard characters than you do :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_alphabet
Trond wrote:æ ø å, and they probably turn out funny for you since you dont run with norwegian language in your game :)
Nah... I just decoded grf and opened nfo in notepad... So that's probably wrong system codepage.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Indeed you do, we have 3 lower and 3 uppercase letters :) But still, norwegian is supposedly one of the hardest languages in the world to learn... but I had no problems with it :lol:

Yeh, I would suspect your notepad would use wrong chars, so thats why it looked extra weird for you :) All our extra letters are vowels...

Bertrand Russell

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Trond for the utf-8 encoding, you have to put þ in front of the string, eg.. "þWeirdton" 00 It's ctrl+alt+p in linux systems I'm not sure if I provided a capital character or not, but capital thorn dhouls be used. that is add shift to that key-combination.. on Win, it should be alt+0254, but I got a ž instead...
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Not sure I follow you there, but alt+0254 should give letter þ

You mean I have to put that infron of all town names to make em show up correctly for people not running norwegian language, or thosw with an þ first will not show up for them at all?? ?(

Bertrand Russell

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Only for not-standard strings... for example

Code: Select all

01 "Stupidville" 00
 01 "'Weirdton" 00
 01 "Freakychester" 00
 01 "Myhome" 00
 01 "äääDontknow" 00
Then because ä isn't standard char, you should put

Code: Select all

01 "Stupidville" 00
 01 "'Weirdton" 00
 01 "Freakychester" 00
 01 "Myhome" 00
 01 "ÞäääDontknow" 00
So it would show ä always, but not something like %C3%A4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9E
You would need the capital letter one..
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

You can see some examples with utf-8 chars on http://devs.openttd.org/~glx/townname/
(force the encoding to utf-8 if you see some ö things :) )
C3 E9 is the Þ char (U+00DE alt+0222) as specified on http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... tringCodes
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Okey, I get it I think :P

Þ 0254 þ 0222 I should use the latter one then I supose...

but what if the å is in the midle of a name, like dås, would it the be dÞås or since it not a capital letter dþås?

Just wanne make sure I get this, lol :P This was never a problem with anything I've been doing before... like on the Commodore 64 :lol:

Will take a look at your files glx, the swedish one should probably show me what I need I suppose...

Edit: I see I always use Þ (alt+0222) from your swedish file...

Bertrand Russell

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

"Þdås" this way... it's in front of the string. And always the capital letter.
I think it's safe even just before the letter, but for better formatting, I'd suggest in front of the string.

Return to “Graphics Releases”