FIRS Industry Replacement Set - releases

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: FIRS Industry Set - 1.4.3 released 31st Jan 2015

Post by Eddy Arfik »

Emperor Jake wrote:It's also a nuisance sometimes to have to build half a dozen recycling plants until you get the one you want, and then carefully place your station so that the correct one is served. Why not just make all of them produce chemicals? That seems to be the most useful recycled product.

Farm supplies is somewhat redundant, we have plenty of industries producing those already, and you can convert chemicals to farm supplies with a fertiliser plant which needs to get more use. Scrap metal is very useful, but gets kinda OP when you have huge amounts of recyclables; and we have plenty of sources for building materials already.

Of course, I assume you may already have a different/better idea :)
I agree, Farm Supplies, Manufacturing Supplies and Building Materials are somewhat redundant since they have a large number of other avenues for production. I modified my copy so that Recycling Plant always produces Chemicals and Scrap Metal, those two can be used to make almost anything else
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

With the increase in Industry Types for NewGRFs and Game Total recently; are there any plans to extend the FIRS economies?
http://hg.openttd.org/trunk.hg/rev/3fc58450901b
I would love to see this set become even more detailed and complex :bow:

EDIT: Can the mods please move this to the FIRS development & translations thread? Thanks (Wrong section post)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

JacobD88 wrote:With the increase in Industry Types for NewGRFs and Game Total recently; are there any plans to extend the FIRS economies?
Nah and yeah. :)

The new industry type limit is 128 per grf; the previous industry type limit of 64 wasn't a problem for any existing FIRS economy. The largest economy is 'Full FIRS' with 51 industry types, and this is already overwhelmingly complex.

The increased industry type limit *does* make it simpler to add more economies, featuring new types of industries. FIRS already defines 66 industry types in total, and was doing some ugly tricks to work around the 64 limit. Those tricks are no longer necessary.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Good to hear can have so many industries. Like to see the Economy FIRS be able to access all the cargos . Not necessary have all the industries available, but make good use of the "Bulk Terminal" and the "Port" and treat these like Exporting and Importing products. The can accept cargo for Exporting like Coal, Iron Ore, Grain, Wool, livestock, bauxite etc. Import can be cargos from Industries that are not used in FIRS Economy like Coffee, Rubber, Beans, vehicles, etc.

The other Economies have a reduced number like you have now for those who not like to have so many.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

You always have the limit of at most 3 input and at most 2 output cargoes for an industry
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

GarryG wrote:I been researching and testing other industries to use with FIRS as I like the idea of coal going to a power station and FIRS has no power stations. The file "Town and Industry - Basic Industries" (tai_industry.grf) if loaded before FIRS, adds the following extra industries ..
I decided to give this a go, and not only does the Builders Yard from FIRS now fail to show up, but in the Arctic environment the Gold Mine produces milk which is incompatible with FIRS' milk cargo. So probably not a good idea to mix these, and perhaps Andy should add some extra code for FIRS to disable itself when TaI is present.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

FIRS 1.4.4 works ok with Tai if Tai loaded first. The FIRS Builders Yard does not load, but replaced by a Factory from Tai. Also one of the Sawmills produces timber and goods, other wise I not found any other problems.

Tai does not work properly with the FIRS snakebites .. all the cargos are all over the place. Sometimes I wonder if FIRS and Tai should join forces and work together so they do work together and it will save the two groups making new industries. What one hasn't got the other does.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I think I spoke too soon. Just had a look at using both Tai and FIRS latest snakebite and it appears to be ok .. at least all the industries are showing the correct cargo for accept and produce. Over the next few days will test them properly.

I am using Nightlies r27288. I loaded Town and Industry - basic industries at the top and FIRS Industry Replacement Set 2015-05-24 (5622) second, but it doesn't appear to matter what order they are as all cargos showing correctly.

Thence I filled the Active NewGRF files with others I like. Just a matter of running some trains, trucks, ships and planes to see how they all work.
Soot Happens
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

You can't trust Snakebite because it's an unstable development version that Andy has warned will change. My tests are based on what's currently available to the public via Bananas: FIRS 1.4.4 and TaI Basic Industries 0.5 beta.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I understand that. Talk to Andy before about it, he appreciate tests of what I been doing as he not always gets time to test it properly.

Yesterday I tested FIRS v5622. If load Tai before FIRS, all the cargos seem to work correctly.

Also noticed that the default vehicles that come with OpenTTD accepted the correct cargos and so did Australian Standard Gauge Set that I like to use.

This morning I downloaded FIRS v5623, and Tai cargos are now scew-whiffed. Default vehicles freight cargos are incorrect again and so are those with the Australian set.
Soot Happens
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

This is the most terribly placed fishing harbour ever. Thank ${DEITY} for the Magic Bulldozer. It was bombed about two seconds after this screenshot.
hijack.png
hijack.png (125.35 KiB) Viewed 2873 times
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

leifbk wrote:This is the most terribly placed fishing harbour ever. Thank ${DEITY} for the Magic Bulldozer. It was bombed about two seconds after this screenshot.
hijack.png
At least you had option of magic bulldozer, this happened to me in a multiplayer game, I'm still not sure if it was random or one of my mates built it there it to troll me, either way the only option I had was to move the dock.
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

Andy, has any considerations been given to removing the fact that FIRS disables itself under both mb Alpine grf (justified) and also the Alpine grf on BANANAS that fools the DB set into running in Arctic?
Something goes here, hell if I know.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

As they both have the same GRF ID, I guess a solution would be for the author of the Fake Alpine GRF to assign a version number different from the original alpine GRF, and then to check for that specific version number in FIRS. Then it would be possible to differentiate The original from the fake (and de/activate FIRS in consequence).
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

arikover wrote:As they both have the same GRF ID, I guess a solution would be for the author of the Fake Alpine GRF to assign a version number different from the original alpine GRF, and then to check for that specific version number in FIRS. Then it would be possible to differentiate The original from the fake (and de/activate FIRS in consequence).
Yeah, that seems the only viable path.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Assuming I've understood the issue correctly, I'm not going to add flakey string to FIRS to support grfs that pretend to be something they aren't to fool another grf into doing something it's not designed to do. That would be madness upon madness :D

If I've misunderstood, then I'm happy to consider a solution :)
Last edited by andythenorth on 19 Aug 2015 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

andythenorth wrote:Assuming I've understood the issue correctly, I'm not going to add flakey string to FIRS to support grfs that pretend to be something they aren't to fool another grf into doing something it's not designed to do. That would be madness up madness :D

If I've misunderstood, then I'm happy to consider a solution :)
Well if anything, the fake alpine climate grf is just to trick German Road Vehicles so that they appear in Sub-Arctic Climate, as they normally don't. Its nothing serious or special really, just some stupid limited climate availability crap coding from yesteryear.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

NekoMaster wrote:Well if anything, the fake alpine climate grf is just to trick German Road Vehicles so that they appear in Sub-Arctic Climate, as they normally don't. Its nothing serious or special really, just some stupid limited climate availability crap coding from yesteryear.
And with the new DBSet XL 0.9 on the way (soon enough, if I understood correctly), maybe this climate availability will be gone. If not, well maybe mb is gonna add compatibility with OGFX+ Landscape (there is a setting in this grf doing exactly what the alpine climate does).
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

<ot>
arikover wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:Well if anything, the fake alpine climate grf is just to trick German Road Vehicles so that they appear in Sub-Arctic Climate, as they normally don't. Its nothing serious or special really, just some stupid limited climate availability crap coding from yesteryear.
And with the new DBSet XL 0.9 on the way (soon enough, if I understood correctly), maybe this climate availability will be gone. If not, well maybe mb is gonna add compatibility with OGFX+ Landscape (there is a setting in this grf doing exactly what the alpine climate does).
A train set simply should not care about the climate at all.
</ot>
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

planetmaker wrote:<ot>
arikover wrote:
A train set simply should not care about the climate at all.
</ot>
I agree, there are many countries out there that run locomotives (be they imported or built domestically) that come from different climates. For example, Soviet M62 locomotives from Russia in Cuba, or Chinese made locomotives in the Congo, or VIA Rails Renascence wagons designed in europe and imported to Canada
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

Return to “Graphics Releases”