Mod: Transport only requested goods

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Zord
Engineer
Engineer

Mod: Transport only requested goods

Post by Zord »

Hey.

I think I've heard about a game mod, where you need to look for transportation needs instead of just transporting i.e. passengers from one random town to another.

Is there such a mod, and what is it called?
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane

Re: Mod: Transport only requested goods

Post by te_lanus »

Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Or the game scripts NoCarGoal or Sillicon Valley perhaps
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Zord
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zord »

Seems to be cargodist I'm looking for.

Thank you.

Don't really feel like learning that complicated installation method right now though
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Zord wrote:Seems to be cargodist I'm looking for.

Thank you.

Don't really feel like learning that complicated installation method right now though
Just download the latest stable from the website, it contains cargodist.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Cargodist still allow you to transport cargo from a random town to another random town. But if you connect many towns in the network, passengers will make a choice where in your network they want to go.

NoCarGoal will tell you 3 cargo types to focus on for which you need to transport at least X amount before year Y. If you succeed with this you win a gold medal. If you only complete two cargos you get a silver medal and a bronze medal for one cargo type.

Silicon Valley will actually be the most dictating of the three as in where to transport. It will give you a town where you should construct industries and transport cargo there. In Silicon valley you also get a better medal if you complete by the end date, but instead get more time to complete the same goal for a second lower valued medal.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Zord
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zord »

I can't see it in the settings nor in the online content
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane

Post by te_lanus »

Zord wrote:I can't see it in the settings nor in the online content
It's under Advanced Settings (see screenshot)Image
Attachments
Clipboard03.png
(59.1 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Zord
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zord »

I don't see this to make any major affect..

I can choose from symmetric, Asymmetric and manual.

Are we still talking about a script, only allowing me to transport cargo to a location where they want that cargo ?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Zord wrote:Are we still talking about a script, only allowing me to transport cargo to a location where they want that cargo ?
CargoDist is mostly auto transfers and when the network allows multiple destinations, the game will distribute the cargo to both destinations with some split. But by how you design your network you still dictate what options you give to the cargo. Cargo cannot decide that it want to go somewhere not connected and therefore not use your network at all.

If you want that the game should dictate more on what you transport, please re-read my answer where I explained some about NoCarGoal and Silicon Valley. If I was not clear enough, both NoCarGoal and Silicon Valley are Game Scripts that you download via in-game content and activate in the AI/Game Script settings window. They both can be used with and without CargoDist.
Zuu wrote:NoCarGoal will tell you 3 cargo types to focus on for which you need to transport at least X amount before year Y. If you succeed with this you win a gold medal. If you only complete two cargos you get a silver medal and a bronze medal for one cargo type.

Silicon Valley will actually be the most dictating of the three as in where to transport. It will give you a town where you should construct industries and transport cargo there. In Silicon valley you also get a better medal if you complete by the end date, but instead get more time to complete the same goal for a second lower valued medal.
None of these scripts forbid you to transport other things than rewarded, but it will not count towards reaching the goal, only make you money. Which especially for Silicon Valley can be a strategy.

Last there exist the option to write your own Game Script that within the boundaries of the Game Script API implement something different closer to what you want. But that will need some motivation and patience depending on your current programming skills.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Shouldn't he grab a CargoDest patch? That sounds closest to what he wants, imo.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Pyoro wrote:Shouldn't he grab a CargoDest patch? That sounds closest to what he wants, imo.
That's older than both Cargo-dist and YACD afaik, no chance to merge that in anything recent, especially since cargo-dest and cargo-dist (the major latest addition) play in the same source code field.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

The last commit to cargdest was about 5 years ago. OpenTTD had its 10th anniversary this year. Go figure how much might have changed :) YACD indeed is newer, but it hasn't been adopted to fit on top of cargodist (yet).
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I did say "a CargoDest" patch. I didn't say "grab CargoDest". For a reason. And I wouldn't know whether in the vast corners of the Interwebz some other patches are around, maybe integrated in some patch packs I never played, so I went for the general option instead of YACD. ;)
Zord
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zord »

Okay I get it :)

Thought it was a script that enabled you to deliver cargo to only places where they wanted the cargo, and nowhere else.
It seems that such a script do not exist..

Could be a great idea for someone to program though =)

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”