0% interest rate

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

thekhan
Engineer
Engineer

0% interest rate

Post by thekhan »

Hello.

Does anyone know how to set the interest to 0% throughout the game OpenTTD? :)
thekhan
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 0% interest rate

Post by thekhan »

any script or cheat for it? I want to play this game but due to the "interest rate" factor in it I cant given my religious background. thanks.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

No, there is no such cheat or script and interest rates are hard-coded into OpenTTD's source.

In the future, please don't double-post but edit your previous posting, if it needs amending further information and as long as no-one answered yet.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

One way to play without paying interest on loans would be to pay off the initial loan immediately when starting a game, then add money to your company through the cheat menu (ctrl-alt-c on windows systems). This would only work in single-player; for multiplayer, you'd need to write a gamescript.
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

This could be done easily with a translation that replaces the "interest %" with "profit share %"
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

thekhan wrote:any script or cheat for it? I want to play this game but due to the "interest rate" factor in it I cant given my religious background. thanks.
None religion, AFAIK, prohibit "interest rate".
Judaism, Christianity and Islam were against "usury".
Few % interest rate is definitely not usury.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

McZapkie wrote:
thekhan wrote:any script or cheat for it? I want to play this game but due to the "interest rate" factor in it I cant given my religious background. thanks.
According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usury
Historically, some cultures (e.g., Christianity in much of Medieval Europe, and Islam in many parts of the world today) have regarded charging any interest for loans as sinful.
Can you provide a better source?
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
thekhan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thekhan »

Eddy Arfik wrote:This could be done easily with a translation that replaces the "interest %" with "profit share %"

I am sorry but where to replace this? Please dont mind my noobiness.
thekhan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thekhan »

PikkaBird wrote:One way to play without paying interest on loans would be to pay off the initial loan immediately when starting a game, then add money to your company through the cheat menu (ctrl-alt-c on windows systems). This would only work in single-player; for multiplayer, you'd need to write a gamescript.
Fantastic idea mate. Thanks a ton. Although when I tried it, 10,000,000 seemed a little over done. lol anyway to bring this money down to 100,000?
Last edited by thekhan on 11 Sep 2014 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
thekhan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thekhan »

McZapkie wrote:
Sir, with all due respect, every major religion on earth prohibits interest. I am a muslim. Its called Riba in Islam. Islam sees it as a major sir as it appreciates your wealth without any effort. Also it may come to you after causing additional loss to the person who took your money during times of need. There is a provision for business loans but I wont be commenting as I am not 100% sure. :)

Peace
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Dude, "don't double post" does includes "no tripple posts"! It's easy to add quotes from different postings to the same: just scroll down when replying and press 'quote'.

Consider this a last friendly prod before I look where I have hidden my mod priviliges.
thekhan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thekhan »

planetmaker wrote:Dude, "don't double post" does includes "no tripple posts"! It's easy to add quotes from different postings to the same: just scroll down when replying and press 'quote'.

Consider this a last friendly prod before I look where I have hidden my mod priviliges.
whats your problem? how else am I supposed to reply to individual posts? you mean i use the quote on the last post for all the replies?
I dont use forums a lot so please be lenient.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Kogut wrote: Can you provide a better source?
Of course, for example Talmud, Koran - you can read there, of course, that charging peoples, especially poor ones, for loans, is prohibited.
But I didn't found a single word about interest rate for commercial companies.
Sir, with all due respect, every major religion on earth prohibits interest.
Not interest, but usury.
Usury is the practice of making unethical or immoral monetary loans intended to unfairly enrich the lender.
It is misinterpretation to put equal sign between interest and usury, which leads to headache of modern Islamic banking to provide terminology and concepts compatible with such misinterpretation.

And finally, it is not your sin if somebody lends you money and charge interest, it is rather his problem.
But if you still feel uncomfortable, you can sign as translator of your language and change "interest rate" to something compliant with islamic banking terminology.
Translation service is here:
http://translator.openttd.org/en/status
Last edited by Wahazar on 11 Sep 2014 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
thekhan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thekhan »

McZapkie wrote:
Kogut wrote: Can you provide a better source?
Of course, for example Talmud, Koran - you can read there, of course, that charging peoples, especially poor ones, for loans, is prohibited.
But I didn't found a single word about interest rate for commercial companies.
Sir, with all due respect, every major religion on earth prohibits interest.
Not interest, but usury.
Usury is the practice of making unethical or immoral monetary loans intended to unfairly enrich the lender.
It is misinterpretation to put equal sign between interest and usury, which leads to headache of modern Islamic banking to provide terminology and concepts compatible with such misinterpretation.
No its not a headache. There are several reputed universities that have begun islamic banking courses. Anyway, if money is invested or a loan is given to a business for commercial purposes, then a share of its profits CAN we given in turn for the loan. :)
thekhan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thekhan »

Hello guys? How to bring down the cheat money from the whopping 1,000,000 to the original 100,000? CAn any help me trace the cheat file in directory so that I edit it ? Any way around?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

The only way to do this differently would be to write a proper gamescript to give yourself the money.

Money isn't really a problem in OpenTTD once you get going, anyway. :) You can use the cheat menu to remove the 10,000,000 again once your network is making profit.
thekhan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thekhan »

PikkaBird wrote:The only way to do this differently would be to write a proper gamescript to give yourself the money.

Money isn't really a problem in OpenTTD once you get going, anyway. :) You can use the cheat menu to remove the 10,000,000 again once your network is making profit.
ohh common sense !! Thanks bro !
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

If you want to be given any number of money, not possible do select using the cheat dialog, you need to use a Game Script. As no game script for this purpose exist (as far as I know), this means you have to write it yourself.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

As mentioned interest rates are hardcoded into the game and can not be set to 0 % by default.

However here, viewtopic.php?f=60&t=47363 , are two scenarios that have the interest rates set at 0%; as well as having other difficulty setting to a lower value then normally is possible.
The code I changed to achieve this is present in the topic except for another change that allows them be loaded in clean trunk ... I have not mentioned these changes as they may lead to a plethora of trouble if you do not know exactly what you are doing, sorry about that. This means that if you compile yourelf your savegames will not load in clean trunk.
Please read the entire thread before you start using them, especially the part about not giving them to other people and instead linking them to the topic so they can read for themselves that these are not made with normal trunk.
Please do not complain to the Devs if you have any issues with them as they are not created with Vanilla OpenTTD and report possible bugs you encounter in my scenario topic only.

If you are not happy with these scenarios (eg. you can not add NewGRF) then you may want to grab a copy of my patchpack, viewtopic.php?f=33&t=47622 , and set the difficulty setting to "KidsCorner". Doing so willl have make your savegame use the same difficulty setting as used in the scenarios mentioned above.
The "trouble" here is that your savegames will only load in my patchpack and the patchpack is based on a much older version then current trunk.
Something else you will have to consider is that the patchpack is heavily modded and you may have to read up on how the included patches exactly work before you will be able to use them properly.
Also in this case please do not complain to the Devs if trouble arrises and any request for help or bugreports should go in my thread solely.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”