Which AIs are good?

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Zord
Engineer
Engineer

Which AIs are good?

Post by Zord »

Hey !

Sorry if this has been posted already..

What AIs should I play with?

Apparently a lot of them have some issues. Towncars for instance, always go bankrupt.
Some of them build some really weird stuff..

Who should I play with, and how can I make them spawn the rest of my game instead of the same guys coming back?

(I use version 1.4.1)

krinn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Which AIs are good?

Post by krinn »

Nobody can answer to that, because nobody knows what "good" is for you.

http://wiki.openttd.org/Comparison_of_AIs
Look here and test the ones you might find interresting.

Per example, you seems to define Towncars as "not good", while many people just find it pretty good and fun.
Zord
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zord »

That must be another town cars...
The current company have in a period from 1976 to 1992 built the following: 2 road pieces...
The other company went bankrupt.

Thank you for the link though :)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Read the description of TownCars again (in the game or in its forum thread).

It is not a competitive AI. At its default configuration you need to load a NewGRF with free vehicles for it to function, but it can be configured to use any road vehicles (also those that cost money).
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Zord
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zord »

I see...

Well at least, I think the default AI's should work with default settings so you can just get started

Can I deactivate it?
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Zord wrote:I see...

Well at least, I think the default AI's should work with default settings so you can just get started

Can I deactivate it?
In an already active game? I don't think so (though I may stand corrected). In any case, the AI window can be accessed from the same menu button as other menus (again I think - haven't got an OTTD copy in front of me).

And to clarify, there are no default AIs included with the game, assuming you downloaded from OpenTTD.org - you must have downloaded them through Bananas. That means you have to choose them yourself and therefore configure them yourself.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Town Cars AI contain this in info.nut:

Code: Select all

function UseAsRandomAI()  { return false; }
It informs OpenTTD that it should not be picked as random AI. Thus the only way to get Town Cars AI in a game is to actively select it in the AI settings window. (or play a scenario that uses it)

Zord wrote:Can I deactivate it?
In a running game, you can kill the AI and start another in its place. You will need to use the OpenTTD console and the 'stop_ai' and 'start_ai' commands. To open the console, press the button left of number 1 on a standard keyboard. (on a laptop it may be placed elsewhere) What is actually printed on this key depends on your country keyboard layout. You can also use the menu to the far right in-game to open the console.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Good AI's:
SimpleAI,
AdmiralAI,
TrAIns,
NoCAB.

You can configure each to your liking. You should test others as well because these are my standard choice and opinions vary.
Zord
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zord »

It seems to me that Admiral AI also keep going bankrupt :/
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Odd. What kind of settings are you using? Could you please attach a savegame of a new game or old one for that matter so settings can be seen?
Perhaps OTVI AI is more suitable then - as it is a tough competitor.
Anyhow - as I said earlier - test them all and find your own favourites. You can see in the Content download window the description of each and which vehicle types it uses so it's all there.

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”