AMG AI Tournament #1 - Temperate: Easy Settings

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

imortal98
Engineer
Engineer

AMG AI Tournament #1 - Temperate: Easy Settings

Post by imortal98 »

The AMG AI tournament has started for Open TTD 1.2.2 .
No grf have been used , the game was started as per default . All tranports units counts have been increased to 5000 . The game will start at 1990 .
Map is the largest map 2048 * 2048, towns very high , terrain very flat , number of industry's high.

And here are the entries.

TEAM A

1: Admiral vr 25
2: AIAI vr 87
3: AroAI vr 127
4: BorkAI vr 7
4: Choochoo vr 409
5: Chooper vr 10
6:CluelessPlus vr 34
7:Convoy vr 11
8:Denver & Rio Grande vr 1
9:DisctatorAI vr 155
10:Gelignalte vr 1
11: Nocab-bleedingEdge edition vr 523
12:OtaviAI vr 414
13:MailAI vr 20110726
14:MogulAI vr 5900

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuehENQQ ... r_embedded
-------------------------

TEAM B

1:PathZilla vr 6
2:PAXLink vr 14
3:RoadAI vr 3
4:CluelessPlus vr 34
5:RoadRunner vr 7
6:RocketAI vr 1
7:Rondje vr 384
8:Rythorn Airline AI vr 3
9:SimpleAI vr 6
10:SyncTrans vr 12
11:Terron vr 203
12:TeshiNet vr 4
13:trAins vr 2
14:Trans vr 100307
15: WrightAI vr 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNC5C5HAGJs
------------------

Finals

1:AiAI vr 87
2:Choochoo vr 409
3:CluelessPlus vr 34
4:Convoy vr 11
5:Moguls vr 5900
6:OTVI vr 414
7:Roadrunner vr 7
8:Rondje vr 384
9:Simple AI vr 6
10:Terron AI vr 203
11:Trans vr 100307

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UiISfVJhA4

Download the Finals Save File:
https://hotfile.com/dl/177475990/660061 ... s.sav.html
--------------------------------------

Tournament Summary by Brumi
Brumi wrote:So this tournament was done on a 2048x2048 flat map with a high number of towns and industries, the ideal map for ChooChoo and airplanes :) The games were run from 1990 to the end of 2050, and the rankings were based on company value.

In the first game, ChooChoo was very successful, it won the game eventually. NoCAB bleeding edge edition crashed at startup, the AI debug window can be seen at 4:44 in the video. AIAI came in for second place, although it was leading in profits by the end of the game. The 3rd was OTVI, the 4th CluelessPlus, the 5th MogulAI and the 6th Convoy. AdmiralAI seems to have failed at some time, in 2045 it had no vehicles at all, company value at 1, but it had some road infrastructure. Probably it had been killed by the competition. Inflation was on, so there was hardly any chance of restarting in 2045. It's too bad that neither AdmiralAI or NoCAB made it into the finals.

The second game had a weaker field. Rondje had a very good start, we all know its strategy :D After 10 years it was caught up to by Terron, as it started to use a large amount of airplanes. Trans AI and SimpleAI were also doing successfully. Later Rondje reached its limits and was overtaken by SimpleAI. Terron also has some management issues on the long term, somehow it couldn't increase its company value beyond a certain point, only to be overtaken by SimpleAI around 2045. However, Terron still had around twice as much profit as SimpleAI. So in the end SimpleAI won the game, the 2nd was Terron, the 3rd Rondje, 4th RoadRunner (its second company, as the first one went bankrupt) and 5th Trans AI. No 6th AI proceeded to the finals, all the others seem to have failed.

In the finals, Terron dominated the whole game with a huge amount of airplanes (734 at the end of the game), it was hard to see the other companies on the graphs. Convoy started well, but later it reached its limits. It was followed tightly by OTVI, which later overtook it to gain second place. Terron had some management problems again, but it managed to stabilize itself later on, so it won the game with a huge lead. Trans and ChooChoo were also doing very well, they were 2nd and 3rd by the end of the game. MogulAI also overtook OTVI, so Mogul finished as 4th and OTVI as 5th. The other places were: 6th Convoy, 7th CluelessPlus (it probably went bankrupt at some time, this was its second company), 8th Rondje (also went bankrupt), 9th AIAI (I wonder why it couldn't really get going), 10th RoadRunner and 11th SimpleAI. SimpleAI got stuck at the staring line, at the end of the game it had no vehicles or infrastructure at all, although it never went bankrupt. I wonder what happened to the poor AI :(
--------------------
My Blog:http://addmegamers.blogspot.cz/

AddMeGamer Reviews
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... e=view_all
Happy Gaming

Dan
Last edited by imortal98 on 28 Oct 2012 15:05, edited 7 times in total.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: AMG AI Tournament Semi Finals: Round 1

Post by Zuu »

I like your initiative to run an AI tournament and publish the results and even provide a video with comments.

And it's nice to see that CluelessPlus did well enough to qualify for the next round. :-) I look forward to your following rounds.

Some user interface tips:
  • You can close all windows with your delete button
  • You can start all vehicles in a go with the start button in the depot (although they will clog up more than if you start them individually with a delay)
  • When you run a single-player-game your human company will stay alive even if you run out of money. So there is no need to make a money maker for yourself when running AI battles.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Michiel
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Michiel »

Wow, great to see ChooChoo do so well, but then it was a perfect map for it - big, flat, and lots of towns.

LOL @ 6m50: oh no, you've found ChooChoo's hidden agenda of using its corporate stockpiles to purchase weapons... TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD! :twisted:

(time passes)

Ooh Rondje is in round 2, very cool! Awesome to see it's still doing so well. Very funny to see its vehicle count going up and down wildly, since I know what it's doing :D It also clearly shows the algorithms are hitting their limits by the end of the game. The map scan must be taking ages!

Thanks for running the tournament, looking forward to the finals! Rondje is going to be in trouble because nowadays, all the strongest contenders use trains and planes. Alas, all glory days must end ;)
Kiffira
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kiffira »

Probably never would've thought of doing something like that. Cheers to you mate for doing it i cant wait for the finals, good luck to all the AI's
imortal98
Engineer
Engineer

Post by imortal98 »

Zuu wrote:I like your initiative to run an AI tournament and publish the results and even provide a video with comments.

And it's nice to see that CluelessPlus did well enough to qualify for the next round. :-) I look forward to your following rounds.

Some user interface tips:
  • You can close all windows with your delete button
  • You can start all vehicles in a go with the start button in the depot (although they will clog up more than if you start them individually with a delay)
  • When you run a single-player-game your human company will stay alive even if you run out of money. So there is no need to make a money maker for yourself when running AI battles.
Thanks :D glad you like the tournament , I hope Ai creators will update them and make em more competitive .
And thanks for the tips !! great stuff didn’t know that .

Michiel wrote:Wow, great to see ChooChoo do so well, but then it was a perfect map for it - big, flat, and lots of towns.

LOL @ 6m50: oh no, you've found ChooChoo's hidden agenda of using its corporate stockpiles to purchase weapons... TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD! :twisted:

(time passes)

Ooh Rondje is in round 2, very cool! Awesome to see it's still doing so well. Very funny to see its vehicle count going up and down wildly, since I know what it's doing :D It also clearly shows the algorithms are hitting their limits by the end of the game. The map scan must be taking ages!

Thanks for running the tournament, looking forward to the finals! Rondje is going to be in trouble because nowadays, all the strongest contenders use trains and planes. Alas, all glory days must end ;)
Thank you !!! very happy to see such a great response . hehehe I just couldn’t help it , it just came out with the weapons lol it just fitted the situation hahahahah . still would be funny if it followed by a massive explosion .
Kiffira wrote:Probably never would've thought of doing something like that. Cheers to you mate for doing it i cant wait for the finals, good luck to all the AI's
Glad to hear it :D finals will be up with in these 2 days .
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: AMG AI Tournament Semi Finals: Round 1&2 Semi Finals

Post by Zuu »

It would be useful for AI authors to know if their AI crash at your setup. The reason why they do that is usually that it didn't crash at the AI authors own setup.

I've seen at least one case when the BaNaNaS entry probably refer to the wrong SuperLib version. Eg. some AI tell in BaNaNaS that it need version 24 of SuperLib, but the code wants version 16. In that case OpenTTD get version 24 as that was included in the BaNaNaS database, but unless there is another AI that use version 16 and has it correctly coded in the BaNaNaS database, you will not get it. (unless you are a long-term OpenTTD player and therefore have all historic SuperLib versions)

These errors are nothing that is your fault, but if noone reports them, then they won't get fixed.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Wow I was very surprised when I saw that SimpleAI came up to first place in the last years, even though it's not a competitive AI :)
Do you happen to have the savegames? I'd be glad to see what the AIs exactly did in these games.

Good to see an AI tournament, quite some time has passed since the last one, and you're the first one to make a video of it :)
imortal98
Engineer
Engineer

Post by imortal98 »

Zuu wrote:It would be useful for AI authors to know if their AI crash at your setup. The reason why they do that is usually that it didn't crash at the AI authors own setup.

I've seen at least one case when the BaNaNaS entry probably refer to the wrong SuperLib version. Eg. some AI tell in BaNaNaS that it need version 24 of SuperLib, but the code wants version 16. In that case OpenTTD get version 24 as that was included in the BaNaNaS database, but unless there is another AI that use version 16 and has it correctly coded in the BaNaNaS database, you will not get it. (unless you are a long-term OpenTTD player and therefore have all historic SuperLib versions)

These errors are nothing that is your fault, but if noone reports them, then they won't get fixed.
Hey :) thanks , its good to know , i thought i might have done something wrong. But ye iam more of an on off player , i always get back to it from time to time so didnt know about that issue .
Brumi wrote:Wow I was very surprised when I saw that SimpleAI came up to first place in the last years, even though it's not a competitive AI :)
Do you happen to have the savegames? I'd be glad to see what the AIs exactly did in these games.

Good to see an AI tournament, quite some time has passed since the last one, and you're the first one to make a video of it :)
hehehe ye pritty cool :) unforutunately i have already saved over it , as the finals are in progress since morning. But i can supply the save for the finals tournament as a bunch of errors occured there as well for a few AI's.
Other wise Simple AI made it to the final round :wink:
and he didnt bug out this time . So all good.
Brumi
President
President

Re: AMG AI Tournament #1

Post by Brumi »

Congratulations to Terron for winning the tournament :)

I wonder what caused SimpleAI to fail, no vehicles at all at the end of the game... Inflation has done its effect by now and there is practically no chance to get up after so much time. SimpleAI generally does well in long games, though.

Thank you for making this tournament!
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Could you (or perhaps someone else) make a short summary of the results available in this topic (not in video form)?
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

So this tournament was done on a 2048x2048 flat map with a high number of towns and industries, the ideal map for ChooChoo and airplanes :) The games were run from 1990 to the end of 2050, and the rankings were based on company value.

In the first game, ChooChoo was very successful, it won the game eventually. NoCAB bleeding edge edition crashed at startup, the AI debug window can be seen at 4:44 in the video. AIAI came in for second place, although it was leading in profits by the end of the game. The 3rd was OTVI, the 4th CluelessPlus, the 5th MogulAI and the 6th Convoy. AdmiralAI seems to have failed at some time, in 2045 it had no vehicles at all, company value at 1, but it had some road infrastructure. Probably it had been killed by the competition. Inflation was on, so there was hardly any chance of restarting in 2045. It's too bad that neither AdmiralAI or NoCAB made it into the finals.

The second game had a weaker field. Rondje had a very good start, we all know its strategy :D After 10 years it was caught up to by Terron, as it started to use a large amount of airplanes. Trans AI and SimpleAI were also doing successfully. Later Rondje reached its limits and was overtaken by SimpleAI. Terron also has some management issues on the long term, somehow it couldn't increase its company value beyond a certain point, only to be overtaken by SimpleAI around 2045. However, Terron still had around twice as much profit as SimpleAI. So in the end SimpleAI won the game, the 2nd was Terron, the 3rd Rondje, 4th RoadRunner (its second company, as the first one went bankrupt) and 5th Trans AI. No 6th AI proceeded to the finals, all the others seem to have failed.

In the finals, Terron dominated the whole game with a huge amount of airplanes (734 at the end of the game), it was hard to see the other companies on the graphs. Convoy started well, but later it reached its limits. It was followed tightly by OTVI, which later overtook it to gain second place. Terron had some management problems again, but it managed to stabilize itself later on, so it won the game with a huge lead. Trans and ChooChoo were also doing very well, they were 2nd and 3rd by the end of the game. MogulAI also overtook OTVI, so Mogul finished as 4th and OTVI as 5th. The other places were: 6th Convoy, 7th CluelessPlus (it probably went bankrupt at some time, this was its second company), 8th Rondje (also went bankrupt), 9th AIAI (I wonder why it couldn't really get going), 10th RoadRunner and 11th SimpleAI. SimpleAI got stuck at the staring line, at the end of the game it had no vehicles or infrastructure at all, although it never went bankrupt. I wonder what happened to the poor AI :(
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Thanks for testing AIs!

Now I am re-running it at my computer, I would like to check why AIAI was well bellow its efficiency in my tests (and solve the mystery of jump in a first game).

Hint: You may use console (enabled with ~) and start_ai command to launch AIs, this way all of them may start at the same time.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
imortal98
Engineer
Engineer

Post by imortal98 »

Brumi wrote:So this tournament was done on a 2048x2048 flat map with a high number of towns and industries, the ideal map for ChooChoo and airplanes :) The games were run from 1990 to the end of 2050, and the rankings were based on company ....
very nice summary !!!!! i hope you can do this for my other upcoming tournaments ....
Kogut wrote:Thanks for testing AIs!

Now I am re-running it at my computer, I would like to check why AIAI was well bellow its efficiency in my tests (and solve the mystery of jump in a first game).

Hint: You may use console (enabled with ~) and start_ai command to launch AIs, this way all of them may start at the same time.
Glad to help :) and thanks for the AI command will surely use it ;)

--------

Hey everyone as the 1st tournament was a succes i would love to start another one .

The AMG Tournament #1 was in Temperate and with easy settings.

The AMG Tournament #2 will be in Temperate climate but with hard settings . This time i will be starting all the AI's at the same time thanks for Kogut's help inlcuding more indepth and other more detailed coverage then the first one.
[Did learn a few things from your feedback and also what are the points of interest .]

If any of you would like to recommend anything or would like me to wait as you maybe updating your AI's please let me know . I expect to start it sometime next week .

Happy Gaming :)

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”