Project site for AI libraries and AIs

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Project site for AI libraries and AIs

Post by Yexo »

After a lot of work from TrueBrain we can now present you a project site for both AI libraries and AIs. You can find it at http://noai.openttd.org/. So far I've imported all released library versions in seperate svn repositories. Every AI writer can get their own project with one condition: AIs have to be GPL 2 (or 2+). For libraries you can also get a project with the condition that it's LGPL 2.1.

With every project you get your own svn repository, issue tracker and wiki. If you want to apply for a project, please provide the following information (examples are between '()'):
  • Long project name ("AI: WrightAI"), this can be changed later
  • Short project name ('ai-wrightai'). Has to start with 'ai-' for AIs and with 'lib-' for libraries. It can only contain lowercase letters and digits. This will be part of urls can cannot be changed.
  • Description, this can be changed later
  • Your account name @noai.openttd.org, register here if you don't have an account yet.
  • The license of your AI / library
Either post that information here or send an email to noai@openttd.org

Known issue: svn copy doesn't work. If you need svn copy to make a branch or tag, just drop me a pm / email with the file / directory you want copied and also the commit message.
Xander
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Project site for AI libraries and AIs

Post by Xander »

This is a Good thing, with a capital G!

:bow: :bow:
Real Tycoons do it on Trains!

JAMI: Just Another Moronic Intelligence
Dustin
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dustin »

Yexo wrote:Every AI writer can get their own project with one condition: AIs have to be GPL 2 (or 2+).

Edit: This is really, really cool and I think it's brilliant. So don't take my question the wrong way.

For work related reasons I am not allowed to work on source with a "viral" license like GPL (That's one reason my entire AI is from scratch). Will you consider a more permissive BSD license?

-D
fanioz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fanioz »

Wow good, :D.
One question, Is it possible /any plan to offer another repository type? (i.e. hg,git,bzr)
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English was bad :D

**[OpenTTD AI]** Image
***[NewGRF] *** Image
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Dustin wrote:For work related reasons I am not allowed to work on source with a "viral" license like GPL (That's one reason my entire AI is from scratch). Will you consider a more permissive BSD license?
I'm sorry, but we won't make exceptions on the GPL-rule. Can you explain why you're not allowed to work on GPL software?

Edit: if you double-license your code under both GPL v2 and BSD, would that work for you?
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

fanioz wrote:Wow good, :D.
One question, Is it possible /any plan to offer another repository type? (i.e. hg,git,bzr)
For technical reasons: no. But there are enough bridges which solve that for you (hg2svn, git2svn, ..). And you can always use hg and svn in the same directory ;)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
fanioz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fanioz »

TrueBrain wrote: For technical reasons: no. But there are enough bridges which solve that for you (hg2svn, git2svn, ..). And you can always use hg and svn in the same directory ;)
Okay, it should not a big problem for me then.
Thanks,for the idea :D.
Thanks again for a great AI and AILib hosting.

**[OpenTTD AI]** Image
***[NewGRF] *** Image
Dustin
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dustin »

Yexo wrote:
Dustin wrote:For work related reasons I am not allowed to work on source with a "viral" license like GPL (That's one reason my entire AI is from scratch). Will you consider a more permissive BSD license?
I'm sorry, but we won't make exceptions on the GPL-rule. Can you explain why you're not allowed to work on GPL software?

Edit: if you double-license your code under both GPL v2 and BSD, would that work for you?
If I were to take code from something that is GPL and use that code in one of my companies products then that product is tainted by that license. Clearly any thinking person wouldn't just lift code from a GPL (or other virally licensed) and put it in a commercial product that is to remain closed source. While it's debateable that closed source software is a good idea, my company believes in it firmly and I like my job.

In order to prevent even the appearance of impropriety, my companies policy is that software engineers are to avoid inspecting (so using binaries is OK) open source code that has any kind of viral license. Therefore any open source code I myself author must have a BSD type license.

Double licenses are something I would have to consult a company attorny about, and it's not worth the hassle. Indeed the answer would almost certianly be to take up knitting instead of AI programming.

Edit: But don't let this minor inconveince to me stop you from setting policies you think are reasonable. I will do my best to abide by them.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Dustin wrote: ... my companies policy is that software engineers are to avoid inspecting (so using binaries is OK) open source code that has any kind of viral license. Therefore any open source code I myself author must have a BSD type license.
Sorry to be offtopic, but I cannot resist replying on this. If my employer would make such demands, I'd seriously consider to switch to another job. I mean, it's perfectly fine if they do not want you to use open source software for their business's products (for whatever reason), but I surely would not let them decide what software I inspect in my personal time, nor under what license I would release my private software projects.

Back to topic: Yexo and TrueBrain: yet another great project, can I use my bananas account, or do I have to create another one again?
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

GeekToo wrote:can I use my bananas account, or do I have to create another one again?
Unfortunately you'll have to create another account for now.
Dustin
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dustin »

GeekToo wrote:
Dustin wrote: ... my companies policy is that software engineers are to avoid inspecting (so using binaries is OK) open source code that has any kind of viral license. Therefore any open source code I myself author must have a BSD type license.
Sorry to be offtopic, but I cannot resist replying on this. If my employer would make such demands, I'd seriously consider to switch to another job. I mean, it's perfectly fine if they do not want you to use open source software for their business's products (for whatever reason), but I surely would not let them decide what software I inspect in my personal time, nor under what license I would release my private software projects.
Yeah, it's off topic, but since I was asked by Yexo... :)

In other respects my company treats me quite well, so I am content to abide with this restriction. Had it not impacted my ability to use this repository (which is a very nice thing) I wouldn't have bothered to mention it. I can live without the repository, but I did want to bring it up in case there were plans to limit the upload service to hosting GPL2 AI code. (as I read things now, I can provide whatever license I wish).
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Dustin wrote:(..). (as I read things now, I can provide whatever license I wish).
On BaNaNaS you can, as long as you allow us, OpenTTD, to distribute your files via BaNaNaS to all our clients, without limitation and free of charge. But for that you signed when signing the ToS :)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Nice initiative. I'm not sure if I'll get along to use it. But I noticed that part of the site detects my browser is Swedish and translates some strings while most of the contents is in English. Maybe it would be just best to have everything in English if it is an easy option in the project site software? But that is just my opinion and I don't know what others think.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Xander
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Xander »

I'd be all for making the whole interface English so people don't get the impression they can post in any other language.

Also - I'd like some company. This site really is quite good fun:
  • Your own Wiki for your AI
  • A news service to keep everyone up to date
  • Bug, feature and support trackers
  • Documentation facility
  • Really slick respository interface
  • Ability to add developers and reporters to a project
  • File storage - seperate from the Repository system
  • Project Forums
Seriously - if you're still developing your AI I can't recommend getting signed up on here enough :)
Last edited by Xander on 10 Aug 2009 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
Real Tycoons do it on Trains!

JAMI: Just Another Moronic Intelligence
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

The default language in English, but for some reason that only applies when you log in. I've no idea how to change the language for anonymous users.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Neither do I; it comes via Redmine ...
fanioz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fanioz »

• Long project name ("AI: Trans")
  • Short project name ('ai-trans').
  • Your account name @noai.openttd.org, : fanioz :D
  • The license of your AI : GPLv.2
I was looking for a button to create new project, but didn't found yet. So I register here :D

**[OpenTTD AI]** Image
***[NewGRF] *** Image
svetovoi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by svetovoi »

Yexo wrote:Either post that information here or send an email to noai@openttd.org
I've send an email to noai@openttd.org a couple of days ago, now posting information here
  • Long project name: Think, it's you to decide. If you want it to be a part of common library(I will not be against it), then name it in the way other libs do (e.g. "Library: Common.Event"), if not then just "Library: Event"
  • Short project name: lib-event
  • Your account name @noai.openttd.org: ac84
  • The license of your library: LGPL 2.1
fanioz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fanioz »

ac84 wrote:
Yexo wrote:Either post that information here or send an email to noai@openttd.org
I've send an email to noai@openttd.org a couple of days ago, now posting information here
  • Long project name: Think, it's you to decide. If you want it to be a part of common library(I will not be against it), then name it in the way other libs do (e.g. "Library: Common.Event"), if not then just "Library: Event"
  • Short project name: lib-event
  • Your account name @noai.openttd.org: ac84
  • The license of your library: LGPL 2.1
Hi ac84,
The idea of AICommon library was come before this Project site. Since :
1. now every body can get account here and manage their AI/Lib.
2. Your lib event is looks like a complete/indepent, has his own class (like pathfinder/queue)
So, IMHO, It would better to register as : Lib:Event, that is separate project wich you can manage it better.
But if what you want is to bind with Lib.common, I or yexo can add you as submitter.

**[OpenTTD AI]** Image
***[NewGRF] *** Image
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

ac84 wrote:I've send an email to noai@openttd.org a couple of days ago, now posting information here
I haven't read my openttd email for 2 days or so. I'll see tonight if I have your email and otherwise bug TrueBrain to fix the redirect ;).

Project: http://noai.openttd.org/projects/show/lib-event
SVN: http://noai.openttd.org/svn/lib-event

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”