Making a Portugal scenario - Help

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
vanadio
Engineer
Engineer

Making a Portugal scenario - Help

Post by vanadio »

Hi, i want to make a portuguese scenario but im facing some problems.

I already trie many times: I download the gray scale maps, but then, the program dont create height maps like in the reality... The water borders are all wrong...

Can someone help me? What program should i use?
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Making a Portugal scenario - Help

Post by romazoon »

you should try tweaking the darkness or/and luminosity of your heightmap and load it until your satisfied with it...i think win7 have a program that do it but i cdont remember it-

i do it with Irfanview usually.
vanadio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vanadio »

If i send u the gray maps u can do just the height map for me?
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

hem... irfanview is free... and are you not willing to learn something new and do it by yourself ?

open the greyscalemap in Irfanview... then raise or lower(do it little by little) the darkness or/and the luminosity. save the modified maps under new name then open them in the editor, you ll understand quite fast which tweaking will be the right for your greyscale map to appear right .

If this is not sufficient you can donate 10€ to the forum and once i get a proof of it, i ll do it for you.
vanadio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vanadio »

romazoon wrote:hem... irfanview is free... and are you not willing to learn something new and do it by yourself ?

open the greyscalemap in Irfanview... then raise or lower(do it little by little) the darkness or/and the luminosity. save the modified maps under new name then open them in the editor, you ll understand quite fast which tweaking will be the right for your greyscale map to appear right .

If this is not sufficient you can donate 10€ to the forum and once i get a proof of it, i ll do it for you.
Ok, i will try. Whats the best site to get DEM?
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

hmm... didn t you said that you allready have a grey scale height map ?? cause for this you don t need any DEM program or file, just a image editor to tweak colors (with darkness and brightness)

if you want DEM, the tutorial on the forum i think is telling you where and how to get them with google earth... and the very same tuto i believe tells you what to use to open them....

hmm... i think i got it, You allready have the DEM of Portugal, and you allready tried to put them in greyscale... and you where never satisfied from the result, am i right ? is it this your problem ??

If Yes
romazoon wrote:open the greyscalemap in Irfanview... then raise or lower(do it little by little) the darkness or/and the luminosity. save the modified maps under new name then open them in the (OTTD scenario) editor, you ll understand quite fast which tweaking will be the right for your greyscale map to appear right .
vanadio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vanadio »

romazoon wrote:
hmm... i think i got it, You allready have the DEM of Portugal, and you allready tried to put them in greyscale... and you where never satisfied from the result, am i right ? is it this your problem ??

If Yes
romazoon wrote:open the greyscalemap in Irfanview... then raise or lower(do it little by little) the darkness or/and the luminosity. save the modified maps under new name then open them in the (OTTD scenario) editor, you ll understand quite fast which tweaking will be the right for your greyscale map to appear right .
yes :)

Now im downloading again the DEM map. The total map consists on two DEM maps. So, when i finish the download i just open irfanview and adjust luminosity? Its possible too put the two maps together in irfanview?
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

I thought from the beggining that you allready tried your map in OTTD... now i start to believe that this is not the case and that you are simply locked at the first step... making a DEM becoming a greyscale map....

so please, go read the TUTO... cause all you want to know is in there...
vanadio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vanadio »

romazoon wrote:I thought from the beggining that you allready tried your map in OTTD... now i start to believe that this is not the case and that you are simply locked at the first step... making a DEM becoming a greyscale map....

so please, go read the TUTO... cause all you want to know is in there...
I already followed the tut(a month ago)...The problem is: The gray scale is wrong... The wtar borders are all wrong...

Now im trying again to make this work...
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Ok i m making a last try to help you... then i give up.

Open the greyscale map wich have wrong waterborder in IRfanview.... tweaking the darkness and the lightness will raise or lower the terrain making it appear different inside OTTD.
vanadio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vanadio »

Tank you. :D

I did it :D

Now it just needs some adjustments that i will do later :D
Lmacario
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lmacario »

Finished?

Don't you want to share it with a Portuguese fellow? 8)
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

For the next time, there is a lot of useful info regarding heightmaps here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27052

I made a step by step tutorial of a method that deals with water problems. You can find it here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=936353#p936353
Zanman777
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zanman777 »

HERE'S A COMPLETE MAP OF PORTUGAL!
Portugal final.scn
(4.13 MiB) Downloaded 190 times
I have made a complete map of Portugal, with all cities and a LOT of towns (chose the ones I've ever heard of, which is pretty much... a lot :D).

The towns and cities were placed over a height map of the Iberic Peninsula. Every town and city was placed respecting their relative geographic position (I did it by sight while viewing a google map... let me tell you, it took a LOOOOOT of work :oops: ). Their populations are scaled approximately at 1:110 (for every 110 people in the real life city, there's 1 TTD person on that city's population). The reference was Lisbon having an initial 5000 of population.

Industries have been placed according to the main distribution of industries throughout Portugal. Farms as well. Ore mines were placed according to the 3 main ore mines Portugal has (yeah, I investigated it all... freaky me :D ). I didn't place oil mines nor coal mines, because our country has none of that. Forests were placed on the Portugal's main Natural Parks locations (with signs with their "Official" names over them).

Finally, I started making the main roads on Portugal, with their tag names... But I gave up. I'm tired already, I wanna play. The north of Portugal is already road-complete. Maybe someone (or myself) might do the rest another time.

Spain is cityless (is that even a word? lol), industryless and farmless. I'd like to invite the Spanish folks over here to do their part on the Iberic Peninsula representation. ;) I've had enough of Scenario Editor already! :shock:

Sorry for the topic bump. But it made no sense to create another one, I think. ;)

Cheers!
pesgores
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pesgores »

This map has a glitch: it won't let you buy vehicles of any kind. Please fix?
Zanman777
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zanman777 »

I have stopped playing OpenTTD for almost a year, but I decided to play a little more now. I never actually posted the final working Portugal scenario on this topic (I think I posted it somewhere else, though). Anyway, here it is.

It works on the trunk (original) game, as well as the Hard Game patch pack - I've tested it.

I had to make the map from scratch, since I had ALL newGRFs disabled when I made the scenario on the Scenario Editor - hence, not even the vehicles would be available for purchase on the depots, etc. It's well known that changing the newGRFs of a scenario or a savegame afterwards is unstable and troublesome, so I had no choice but to start from square one lol.

It doesn't work on the Chill pack, which had the YACD (yet another cargo dist) patch included. Anyway, if you really like the cargodist thing, you can choose the Hard Game patch pack - it has a different algorithm for the cargodist (the most used one around here, actually), so no harm no foul. :)

I hope anyone actually enjoys this map.

Cheers
Attachments
PORTUGAL FINAL BEST.scn
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 151 times
pesgores
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pesgores »

Bom trabalho! Obrigado por postares o mapa completo!

However, I think you upscaled the population too much, as Grande Porto and Grande Lisboa are completely urbanized and you can't build trains like you could in the first version. And there are the rivers and borders, which are a bit annoying as of now. I suggest that you reduce the population values back to what they were in the old, glitched version, and use the river tool for the rivers.

Ainda assim, :bow: pelo esforço, há muito tempo que esperava um mapa de Portugal :mrgreen:
pesgores
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pesgores »

For some miraculous reason, the original scenario is now playable as of version 1.4.4!

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”