Towns constantly lose population and buidings?

Problems with Transport Tycoon?
Teaboy
Engineer
Engineer

Towns constantly lose population and buidings?

Post by Teaboy »

Was wondering why this was happening even with a seeminly sound passenger and mail connections to other cities. The one i'm mainly talking about is London, which originally had a much higher population and had buildings etending right out to where its roads still do.

attached is a saved game
Any ideas?

Thanks
Attachments
Hawthorn & Co., 6th Aug 1959.sav
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 184 times
unessential
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Towns constantly lose population and buidings?

Post by unessential »

Just based on what youve said, i think ive had similar issues. I tend to find that A LOT of my cities when i first give them rail and services suddenly boom in population to something around 20000 - 40000 it then stalls and often begins to fall for a while. Ive found that improving bus and rail services to the town helps, lots of passenger services with some goods deliveries too. I also tend to demolish large abandonned sections of road around the town and pointless bits in the town centre which seem to be dead ends etc. After a while the population begins to increase again, this time more sustainably, my best example is currently up to 80000 people

Edit:
Just looked at the saved game, i would definatly remove those lines of 2 or 3 identical roads through london city centre, because of the way the game works the city will only grow outwards after it has filled up the land closest to the centre, if the land is full of roads then it cannot grow.
Teaboy
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Towns constantly lose population and buidings?

Post by Teaboy »

I tried that but they just rebuild the roads like that!

I can't help but feel it may be something to do with how I have the openttd setting related to towngrowth (2x2 3x3grid, better roads, normal) etc, set to something different to the one used when the map was created, so now it's kind of glitching a bit.

Although, other towns have been expanding normally, so it may be something to do with my stupid station and rail lines there...

cheers anyway :)

Return to “Problems”