Photo Of The Month - October 2012 Entries

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Geo Ghost

Photo Of The Month - October 2012 Entries

Post by Geo Ghost »

Evening all.
Entries for the October Photo of the Month are now open. So what are you waiting for? Jump right in and take part :D
Sorry for the slight delay. I've had a lot going on this week.

The theme for this month is Fine detail - little details that you have to find rather than they leap out at you. Set by last months winner, Andel.

Encase you're new, or need a refresh...
Rules can be found Here.
Please read and familiarise yourselves with them if you haven't before.
Previous winners can also be found on that page.

How to enter:
Easy - simply upload your image to this topic to enter or link it from a trusted site such as flickr, photobucket, DeviantArt, your personal website etc.
Uploading is preferred as it keeps things together. If you're linking from a URL, having a small 'preview' image and a link to a high-res image would be helpful.
If uploading direct to the wiki:
I like to keep entries in a certain named format for organisation reasons as well as keeping record of them in the entries topic and here. If you prefer to upload to the wiki, please keep it in the same naming format as other entries and inform me they are already on the wiki. Name format is - month|year|POTM_user name.
For example: 0912POTM_DaveW.jpg / 0912POTM_orudge.jpg / 0912POTM_GeoGhost.jpg / 0912POTM_Ameecher.jpg
You get the idea ;)

If you upload to the wiki with a different format, I will have to re-upload the image again with the right name. Sorry to be picky, but I want to keep all the entries organised and in the same manner.

At the end of the month, this topic will close and a voting topic will be started with all the entries in for people to choose their top one.
All entries will be uploaded to the tt-forums wiki and stored there for voting and also for archive.
Entries close on the last day of the month, voting will be available till the 7th of each month (approximately).
The winner will need to contact me about what they want the next theme to be and then that will be posted in the entry topic for the next month. Then we repeat from there. Simple. :D

If you wish to change your entry, you may so long as the entries are still open. Simply upload a new one to the topic and remove your old one.

Good luck everyone and don't forget - Have fun and enjoy yourselves with it :)
-Richard
Dave

Re: Photo Of The Month - October 2012 Entries

Post by Dave »

Perched in the corner of the maintenance depot at the Ribble Steam Railway was this traditional 40mph speed restriction marker.

The speed restriction of the line never exceeds 20mph, despite being partly used by the mainline, so this sign is utterly redundant and is a testament to the thorough and magpie-like nature of the British heritage movement. It may be sold or exchanged for some useful equipment to another railway, or it may be restored and displayed in the railway's expansive infrastructure collection.

What I like about this shot is the way this special railway artefact is just perched against a wall in a small railway depot at the bottom end of an industrial estate near Preston Docks. Certainly did have to be picked out.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Here's mine.

Spot what's different.

Taken at a garden railway exhibition - Geo, if it isn't allowed, let me know and ill remove it.

EDIT: I did have.... Ill upload it when I get home.

And... It'll surprise you all!
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Here's my first 'serious' entry to this competition, after I've bought a proper camera (albeit still a compact), a Canon PowerShot S95.
jamielei-oct12-entry.jpg
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 1 time

Sunset in San Francisco, 7th September 2012. The sunlight reflected in the rails brings out the waviness of Judah Street. In the background, a single MUNI Metro vehicle waits discretely out of the sun in preparation to begin a part-route inbound journey from 19th Avenue along the N Judah line.

Mode: Auto (1/1000, F6.3, ISO80). No editing. Sorry about the lens flare, the camera is literally the size of a credit card!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Nice photo and all but does it fit the theme?
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

I'd say the metro car is less obvious in the photo than Dave's 40 sign. I do have another version where the metro car is even less visible, but there's a car turning in the shot which somewhat ruins it.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

JamieLei wrote:I'd say the metro car is less obvious in the photo than Dave's 40 sign. I do have another version where the metro car is even less visible, but there's a car turning in the shot which somewhat ruins it.
Perhaps it's my interpretation but I would said that the "little details" shouldn't be the fact you hunt through the photo but the actual view for something of interest and then a photo of that for submission. E.g. The wheel of a bus rather than the whole bus. Dunno.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

We had one like this back in September 2008. Irish won it I believe.
That's how I imagine such a theme would be. Andel can confirm it.

http://users.tt-forums.net/potm/prevwinners.htm
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Little details are small things that people don't normally notice - a sign or a button or an indicator; a lamp on a crossing gate or a direction arrow - a map laid on the floor...

I think the sign photo geo posted fits (just)...

My entry:
potm-ttf.jpg
potm-ttf.jpg (377.23 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
Dave

Post by Dave »

So mine is alright?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Well, I think this fits the theme, or at least it's the closest thing to it I can find anyway. Hopefully I don't have to explain what it is ;)
Attachments
gold mine rr 004.JPG
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Finally, here's mine...

Rather self - explanatory, read my old post for infom
Attachments
IMG-20120707-00078.jpg
(356.74 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Dave W wrote:So mine is alright?
I personally see no problem with it. To me it fits and Andel doesn't seem to have an objection.
47407 wrote:Finally, here's mine...
I see it! I'm sure Andel will enjoy that one :D
andel wrote:I think the sign photo geo posted fits (just)...
I wasn't referring to that one Andel. I meant this one :P
http://users.tt-forums.net/potm/images/sept2008.jpg

Couldn't copy the link at the time as I was on my phone though. Apologies about that.

Jamie, I don't know if that really suits what Andel set as the theme. It's a lovely photo, do not get me wrong at all :P Though I'm personally not sure how it fits the theme.
Though of course, themes are open to interpretation, unless said otherwise, so if you can justify why you think it fits, that would be great :)

Though as Andel said in his example, it seems more about capturing the little details that no one would perhaps usually notice, rather than showing a photo where people have to find them themselves.
We're still early in the month though, so we'll see how this pans out.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Sure - no problem - don't include the photo. Wasn't quite sure of the theme and only had Dave's entry to go on.

I don't tend to explicitly go out and take photos deliberately for this, but I'm doing another London run tomorrow and if I see anything that looks interesting I'll snap it up.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

That's fair enough Jamie :) Remember though, there's no rule saying you can't use previously taken images. Just encase you may have any old photos that fit well.
Have fun with your London run then :)
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

haha - I never do train rides for the hell of it! I'm going to see the Philharmonia tomorrow at the Southbank Centre (near Waterloo). So Thameslink too ^_^
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

JamieLei wrote:Sure - no problem - don't include the photo. Wasn't quite sure of the theme and only had Dave's entry to go on.

I don't tend to explicitly go out and take photos deliberately for this, but I'm doing another London run tomorrow and if I see anything that looks interesting I'll snap it up.
Jamie - crop it to just the rails?
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

andel wrote:
JamieLei wrote:Sure - no problem - don't include the photo. Wasn't quite sure of the theme and only had Dave's entry to go on.

Jamie - crop it to just the rails?
Not a bad idea actually. If I can't find anything interesting over the next 2 weeks I'll do that.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

A close-up of a particularly old sign on the A939, revealing detail you'd not normally see if just driving past, including the number '9' on a patch. I wonder what's underneath it - did somebody make a mistake when creating the original sign, perhaps?
Attachments
DSC_2413.JPG
A939 sign
(2.72 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

I'd suggest it could've been something like the A93, although I could be wrong...

I still see signs for my local, the A22, on roads that haven't been classified as that for 30 or so years!

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”