mb´s "guess the train" postings

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

mb´s "guess the train" postings

Post by michael blunck »

A cheering prospect in tt-forums is the "guess the train" game, where a couple of railway enthusiasts from around the globe are posting the most rare and interesting trains and locomotives to be guessed by the audience. Astonishingly enough, nearly almost of those trains posted got guessed until now.

After having posted nearly 20 "trains" in this game thread myself, I noticed I was unable to remember all of them, and looking them up in the original game thread is a futile undertaking because of its large and ever-growing size.

So what I do here is simply linking the original picture attachments from the game thread and adding a bit of additional information - sometimes this could already be found in the original postings. I also added the correct answers which haven´t always been given during game and o/c I added the name of the final guesser, which was an interesting experience on its own.

regards
Michael

The very first locomotive I did post in the "guess the train" game thread is indeed a very interesting one. From the Mariazellerbahn in Austria:

Original photo by Michael Taylor.

Class number: 1099
Line: Mariazellerbahn

(Guessed finally by TheIrish)

The Mariazeller-Bahn is a narrow-gauge railway connecting St. Pölten and Mariazell in Lower Austria, and this very class 1099 engine is number 10, named "Hofstetten-Grünau" (aka "Dulcinea").

Although these engines, built by Siemens (of Germany) and Krauss (of Austria), have already been delivered between 1909 and 1914, they are still in use today, i.e. the remaining 15 units are the oldest narrow-gauge AC locomotives in use worldwide!

OK, my first post was quite successful, so for the next one, I decided to stay in the Alps, just moving a little more to the west:

Original photo by Marco van Uden.

Type/class: BDe4/4
Railway: Orbe - Chavornay, Switzerland

(Guessed immediately by TheIrish. Arrgh! I forgot he´s Swiss!)

For the next guess, I tried to fool the audience by presenting a suspiciously "german"-looking steam locomotive of English origin, once running in Turkey:

Original photo by Pierre-Olivier Morel can be found on https://www.steamlocomotive.info/turkey.cfm.

Railway: Turkish State Railways
Type: 2-10-0 No. 56116
Builder: Beyer Peacock
Year: 1948
Special: displayed at Çamlik museum

(Guessed by DanMack)

Turkish railways before WW2 used mainly german-built steamers. After the war, they couldn´t get them anymore, but instead had to buy from the victors - nevertheless the Turkish insisted on a typical "german" outline.

With my next posting I dived into the more exotic stuff:

Original photo from the "Klaus Wedde Collection" has been extracted from this article.

Builder: Breda
Country where built: Italy
Country delivered to: Greece
Extra: meter-gauge, war reparation

(Guessed finally by TheIrish)

This is one of the many "Breda railcars" manufactured and delivered in 1951 as war reparation to Greece, together with a bunch of other steam and electric engines. The Breda delivery of 14 railcars was intended for the meter-gauge line Volos - Paleofarsalo - Karditsa - Trikala - Kalambaka (251 kms) of the private Thessaly Railway Company.

This line serves the world-famous Meteora Monasteries by the station of Kalambaka.

Meanwhile, this line has been rebuilt to standard gauge, but still in times of meter-gauge, MAN railcars were servicing the line to Kalambaka after the Bredas had been set aside:

Time to switch the continent: I moved over to South America. The one to be guessed is a german-built diesel train set for Brasil:

Original photo from "Revista REFESA" (march/april 1970) has been extracted from this page.

Type/name: "Minuano"
Company: Viação Férrea do Rio Grande do Sul

(Guessed by Rollo)

The "Minuano" was a three-part diesel-hydraulic train set built by MAN of Germany for the "Viação Férrea do Rio Grande do Sul" (metre gauge) in southern Brasil.

Here´s the full post.

Next one is a hungarian-built diesel train set, this time for Argentina:

Original photo by Miguel Ángel Pignataro has been extracted from his article: "Los Ganz Mavag del Ferrocarril Belgrano".

Railway: Ferrocarril General Belgrano
Builder: Ganz-MÁVAG, Budapest
Class: CMU/D

(Again guessed by Rollo)

Ganz-Mávag sold literally hundreds of railcars to diverse south american countries, both before WW2 and throughout the 1950s. This one is a "CMU" of type "D" (there were 5 different types alone for the General Belgrano Railway).

Because South America turned out to be surprisingly successful for me, I decided to stay a bit longer, and presented a very unique diesel locomotive to the audience:

Original photo by Chris Walker has been extracted from this article.

Company/line: Ferrocarril Machacamarca - Uncia (FCMU)
Manufacturer(s): Sulzer / Les Ateliers Metallurgiques SA, Nivelles, Belgium

The FCMU, a meter gauge railway of some 100 km length, linking the towns of Uncia and Machacamarca in the heart land of the Bolivian tin mining, was a subsidy of the Patiño Mining Co, which in turn belonged to one of Bolivia´s famous "tin barons", Simón Iturri Patiño.

Originally, these locomotives should be built by the german company of Henschel, but due to the second world war, Henschel was unable to complete the order, neither during the war nor after, so in the end the belgium company Les Ateliers Métallurgiques finished the work.

(Guessed by Rollo. Again!)

Time to leave that Rollo-dominated continent and give other guessers a chance as well, by posting something European stuff? Mmh. I decided in favor of a simple but obviously hard to guess second (or third?) line vehicle. Now, here comes the very special railcar:

Original photo by Colin Churcher has been extracted from this article.

There´s another interesting article on Colin´s page about the Guayaquil and Quito Railway in Ecuador (see also my posting no. 14).

Line: Blanc à Argent
Type/Manufacturer: Compagnie des Chemins de Fer Départementaux (CFD)

(Guessed by jpmaster)

The BA, located in the Loire area in Central France, is one of the very few french narrow-gauge railways still seeing regular service. The line linked Le Blanc, situated in the Indre department, to Argent-sur-Sauldre in the Cher department, with an overall length of 191 kms. Since 1987, the BA is integrated into the Regional Express Transportation system (TER) of the Centre region with a reduced line length of still 67km, linking Luçay-le-Mâle with Salbris.

Look here for a picture collection of the BA.

Given the fact that those BREDA railcars turned out hard to guess for the audience, I decided to try a "Littorina" railcar this time. Luckily enough, I found a marvelous picture, deeply hidden in the script of a german TV report about Sicily, hehe.

Original photo can be found inside the picture gallery.

Type: ALn 56
Manufacturer: Fiat (1937)
Country/region: Italy
Railway line: Ferrovia Circumetnea (FCE)
Station/town: Catania

(Quickly guessed by Tony Babelony)

This one is a renovated Fiat ALn ""Littorina" (possibly ALn 56.01) of the narrow-gauge (950mm) FCE, servicing the region around the Aetna volcano on the Italian island of Sicily:

Because there had been only one engine from Africa posted in the whole game until now, I decided to try with my own choice. I had noticed there were many US-built diesels delivered to african mining companies, which our american friends wouldn´t be too familiar with. The one in question is a EMD-built diesel hauling bauxite in western Africa:

Original photo from the "Sheldon Perry Collection" can be found on this page.

Manufacturer and type: EMD SD-40-2
Company: Chemins de Fer de la Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinée (CBG)
Line: (Port) Kamsar - Boké - Sangarédi
Speciality: privately-owned mining company railway

(Guessed by lifeblood)

In fact, in Guinea there are three private mining railways:

- the CBG which owns the line Port Kamsar - Sangarédi (136km),
- the ACG (Alumina Company of Guinea) which owns the line Conakry - Fria (143km, meter gauge),
- the CBK (Compagnie des Bauxites de Kindia) which owns the line Conakry - Kindia (105km).

Locomotive number 10 hadn´t been finally guessed. It´s a german-built diesel-hydraulic for Thailand, delivered by the "Lokomotiv Export Union" consortium (consisting of the companies of Krupp & Krauss-Maffei):

Original photo by Thonusith S. had been taken at Ratchaburi Station in January, 2005.

Here are some more photos of these engines.

Railway: Rot Faay Thai (State Railway of Thailand)
Manufacturer: Lokomotiv Export Union
Type/model: M1500BB 5010/69 -> SRT3121
Any additional information: meter gauge

(Not finally guessed)

Back from exotic Asia into the centre of Europe, number 11 is one of those czech diesels which are heavily used in Italy today. Besides by the companies of DFG and Hupac, they´re also used by FAS, RTC, Sistemi Territoriali and Sangritana.

Original photo by Alessio Pedretti.

Class: D752
Railway: FNME

(Guessed by theIrish)

D752.505 belongs to the Leon d' Oro di Marmirolo workshops and is shared between FNME and Ferrovie Sangritana.

The next one is a unique cog locomotive from the Tanvald-Harrachov cog railway in the Czech Republic:

Original photo by "Rolf-Dresden".

Company: Ceské dráhy (CD)
Type: 715, formerly T426.0
Route: Tanvald - Korenov - Harrachov
Builder: Simmering-Graz-Pauker (SGP), Austria
Special: rack rail

(Guessed by Train-a-Mania)

This railway is Europe´s last standard gauge cog railway for combined rack and adhesion operation. It´s of the "Abt" system. Maximum gradient is 57 ‰ and the elevation difference is 235 m on 7 km.

The picture could be found easily on wikipedia, but not all of the questioned information. E.g., to find the builder (SGP) needed either a thorough knowledge of austrian locomotives or an intensive investigation on the internet.

Again one of the many diesel-hydraulic locomotives built by Krupp, this time for Indonesia:

Original photo shows BB30105 on the fueling track of the Solo Balapan depot.

Railway Company: Kereta Api Indonesia
Builder: Krupp
Type: M1500BB

(Guessed by Tony Babelony)

Krupp usually carried out test runs in Germany for its export locomotives. Therefore, many of those engines had to be equipped with german lighting, buffers and standard gauge bogeys (Indonesia is meter-gauge), as can be seen here in the german railway station of Hagen:

Original photo by "03 1008" at the DSO forums.

This one is again a "scenic railways" guess. The engine is one of originally 9 french-built GEC-Alsthom Bo'Bo'Bo diesel-electrics, owned by the Ecuadorian "Empresa Nacional de Ferrocarriles del Estado" (ENFE) used on the (former) Guayaquil - Quito line, aka "Ferrocarril Transandino" (Trans-Andean Railway).

Original photo has been extracted from the article "Ecuador Railways (ENFE) - The Devil´s Nose".

Railway Co.: Empresa Nacional de Ferrocarriles del Estado (ENFE)
Line: Guayaquil - Quito (Trans - Andean Railroad) | "Ferrocarril Transandino"
Gauge: 1067mm
Builder: GEC–Alsthom, now Alstom
Type: Bo'Bo'Bo'

(Guessed by Carlo Ghega)

One of the most famous parts of this route is the train track down the "Nariz del Diablo" (Devil´s Nose, see original posting) which was once an engineering masterpiece.

I was running out of ideas this day, so after a while of thinking, I felt we needed something Indian at last, because the importance of this country in terms of railway development hadn´t been covered adequately here until now:

Original photo by Harald Hack has been extracted from Peter Christener´s India pages

Railway Co.: Indian railways
Line/network: Central Railways (CR)
Type: WCM-5
Builder: Chittarajan Locomotive Works (CLW)
speciality: 3kV DC, museum locomotive in Delhi

(Guessed by uzurpator)

First Indian-built DC locomotives were produced in the early 1960s by CLW. Electrical design was by Hitachi and the body was taken over from the english-built Indian WCM-1. The twenty WCM-5s have been used mainly in passenger services.

This is yet another member of the "scenic railways of the world". The "Vistadome" train travels the line from Cuzco to the Inca fortress of Machu Picchu and is composed of rebuilt Ferrostaal railcars.

Company: PeruRAIL
Line: Cuzco - Machu Picchu
Gauge: Narrow Gauge
Builder/year: Ferrostaal 1966

(Guessed by Rollo)

Ferrostaal was originally a Dutch company but had been taken over in 1926 by the German company "Gutehoffnungshütte" which was one of the roots of the later german "MAN" holding company. Today, MAN-Ferrostaal is acting as the sales and service platform for the whole MAN holding.

This one belongs to the many french-built Alsthom diesels in former "Afrique française":

Original photo by Pierre-Noël Rietsch has been extracted from his Camrail pages.

Railway co.: Camrail
Line: Central Line
Gauge: metre Gauge
Type: BB 1100
Builder: Alsthom / Société MTE

(Guessed by DanMack)

Until WWI, (parts of) Cameroon had been a German colony, named "Kamerun". The Germans built a couple of meter-gauge railways, namely

- the 160km long Manengu- or Northern Railway, financed and built by the "Kamerun-Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft" between 1906 and 1911, connecting Duala with the Manengu Mountains at Nkongsamba,

- the "Central Railway" ("Mittellandbahn"), connecting Duala with Njone, some 280km building beginning in 1908 and reaching Bidjoka, km 150, in december 1913, later reaching Yaoundé (Jaunde):

Original photo has been extracted from an article about former German colonies from https://www.jaduland.de.

This is another mining-railway engine, a real "work horse", hauling iron ore in the Republic of South Africa. These engines have been built especially for the OREX line, connecting the harbour at Saldanha on the west coast of South Africa with the open-cast mines at Sishen in the Northern Cape province.

Built between 1973 and 1976 for South African Iron and Steel Corporation (Iscor), the line was electrified at (rather unusual) 50kV 50Hz after ownership passed over to South African Railways (now Spoornet).

Original photo has been extracted from this page.

Company: Iscor, now SpoorNet
Line: OREX (Sishen-Saldanha)
Gauge: 1067mm (cape gauge)
Railway electrification system: 50kV 50Hz
Type: class 9E1
Builder: Alsthom / UCW
Year: 1982

(Guessed by Raven)

Some stats of this engine:

50kV 50Hz AC; 1067mm gauge; Co'Co'; wheel diameter 1220mm; speed 90km/h max.; total mass 166.3t (27.7t/axle); TE 570kN (starting), 388kN (continuous); 4140kW (1 hour power rating), 3840kW (continuous); gear Ratio 18/83; Dual cab; year of manufacture 1982/1983.

Again a french-built Alsthom diesel in Africa, this time on the east African island of Madagascar, which had been a french colony resp. part of France between 1896 and 1958.

Original photo by Friedrich Wondrak.

railway company: Chemins de Fer Malgache (FM) / FCE (s.b.)
line: Fianarantsoa Cote Est (FCE), Fianarantsoa - Manakara
gauge: 1000mm
type: BB9020
builder: Alsthom
year: 1982 (1976)
original railway: Comboios de Portugal (CP)
station: Manakara

(Guessed by Rollo)

The line

Originally, there have been four french-built railway lines on this island:

- Antananarivo - Toamasina (369 km, 1904 - ???),
- Antananarivo - Antsirabe (158 km, ??? - 1912),
- Moramanga - Lake Alaotra (168 km, 1911 - 1923).

These three lines spanned a connecting network but the fourth one,

- Fianarantsoa - Manakara (163 km, 1927 - 1936),

stayed isolated after giving up plans to connect Antsirabe and Fianarantsoa.

After independence in 1958, all lines were run by the stately owned "Réseau National des Chemins de fer Malgache" (RNCFM), but since 2003, two different concessions were issued to private railway companies.

- The northern network consisting of three lines has been concessioned for 25 years to MadaRail, a company belonging to the south-african holding Comazar which is engaged throughout Africa, e.g. with CamRail of Cameroon or in Cote d´Ivoire.

- The line Fianarantsoa - Manakara is run by the Fianarantsoa Cote Est (FCE)

The vehicle

The diesel electric engine in question is originally built by Alsthom which had early ties with Madagascar and already delivered diesel locomotives in the 1940s and 1950s.

Five of the Bo'Bo'Bo' Alsthoms at Tananarive depot (courtesy by https://www.derbysulzers.com/madagascar.html).

The engines of type "9020" have been built originally for "Comboios de Portugal" in 1976 to be used on its narrow-gauge Douro branch line, and have been sold to the "Chemins de Fer Malgache" (FM) in 1993. A couple of pictures of the Portuguese engines can be found on therailfaneurope server.

The original picture can be found - amongst others of the same author - on the german "Bahnbilder" photo forum

This picture collection documents travelling the Fianarantsoa - Manakara line in 2006. This line is very interesting for railway enthusiasts because of its difficult topography, needing 67 bridges and 48 tunnels (on 163 km) to make a height difference of 1100 meters. The most steep grade on this line is said to be the third steepest grade worldwide for adhesion railways.

Another interesting thing with this line is its crossing with the airport runway just before reaching Manakara station. Again, this is a rare experience, not easily to be found elsewhere.

The coaches shown on these pictures have been given as foreign aid by the Swiss railway, after cyclone "Eline" hit the island in 2000.

Here´s another interesting train ride report on this line.

Staying in Africa, we´re changing from diesel to electric and moving a little bit north, into Algeria:

railway co.: Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Algériens (SNCFA), Société Nationale des Transports Ferroviaires (SNTF) since 1976
line: Annaba - Tebessa
gauge: 1435 mm
electrification system: 3kV DC
purpose: iron ore and phosphate trains
type: EL104 / CE6
builder: LEW, German Democratic Republic
year: 1972/73
specialty: there´s a "parent engine" in service with DR and DB (251, 171)

(Guessed by Rollo)

In 1972/73 LEW ("VEB Lokomotivbau-Elektrotechnische Werke", formerly AEG) of Hennigsdorf (former German Democratic Republic) built 32 6-axle electric freight locomotives (type EL104, serial numbers 13637 - 13668) for the Algerian railways. These engines were derived from the east-german class 251, built 1964/65 for heavy haul exclusively on the Rübelandbahn in the Harz mountains which had been electrified by the DR with 25kV 50Hz from topographical reasons (Germany used 15kV 16 ²/³ Hz everywhere else).

The algerian engines were to be used on the line connecting the harbour of Annaba and the inland town of Tebessa. From this main line, branch lines are connecting the mining regions of Bou Khadra and Quenza. The route is used primarily for transporting iron ore and phosphates. Being situated in the Atlas mountains, large parts of the route are characterized by tight curves and steep grades.

To fit the demands of the challenging traction program, far-reaching modifications had to be carried out with regards to the original layout of the E 251. E.g., to get the required tractive effort, additional weight was gained by thickening the material of the frame and body to 32 mm, the electric equipment had to be changed to 3kV DC and use of single-arm pantographs, and precautions had to be met with regards to the harsh climatic challenges.

Today, there are still 17 6CE engines in service, together with 14 new ones of class 6FE built by Alstom/Spain. These are already prepared for future use of 25kV 50Hz.

The engine depicted above is 6CE-28.

In Germany, all 15 DR 251s had been relabeled to DB 171 when East-Germany´s "Reichsbahn" (DR) and the West-German "Bundesbahn" (DB) merged after Germany´s re-unification in 1990, and these engines have been still in use on the Rübelandbahn until 2004. Unfortunately, these unique engines have been replaced by standard diesel locomotives now, by BR 233 and BR 241 (of Railion) until 2006, and by the "Blue Tiger" at the time being (of HLVE).

To memorize times gone by, here´s a picture of 171 008 in DB Cargo livery crossing the Kreuztal Viaduct in 2002:

(courtesy Bastian Schwarzer of https://home.arcor.de/lo/lokfreund/ruebe ... beland.htm)

More photos:

https://www.ruebelandbahn.de/171bild.htm
https://www.harz-bahnen.de/Ruebelandbahn.htm

<to be continued>
Last edited by michael blunck on 28 Apr 2007 22:00, edited 6 times in total.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Nice Idea Michael :D Very educational. I always look forward to your postings as they make one look long and hard at the picture :D.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Thanks, Dan. I´ve added references to the original photos and added some more links.

regards
Michael
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Hey Michael, I can only second to what Dan said.
Might I suggest you put this up on 1 piece of work. (Like some sort of Train-Wiki or some sort of manuscirpt.) I find it very interesting. :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yes, as usual, a wonderful insight in to locomotives worldwide. Michael has an incredible knowledge base in these matters!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

You've probably won the most rounds of the game, too.

Great idea!
Nick - Creator of the virtual railroading review series:

Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Everything which cames from Michael is so educational.
I appretiate this topic very much! :bow:
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Thanks for your interest, guys. I´ve updated my posting with the latest train guessed by Rollo.

regards
Michael
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Thanks for your interest, guys. I´ve updated my posting with the latest train guessed by Rollo.

regards
Michael

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”