Your Last Train Journey?

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Your Last Train Journey?

Post by JamieLei »

Nürnberg Hbf - Berlin Hbf

Due to Sunday diversions, went really round the houses. Went almost as far as Frankfurt first.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

Last train travel for me was on December 2013, from La Plata to Constitution Station on Buenos Aires to a meeting with another transports forum. The branch is about to be electrified with 25Kv catenary as the existent branches on the Roca line. Necesary for a highly used 60km (almost 40 miles) branch.

A bit late :D but better than never...
Sorry for my english I am argentinian
TTO don't crashes in Windows XP; XP crashes TTO

Formerly known as UnderBuilder.

MyMiniCity
fishquinn
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by fishquinn »

Last Journeys.

9/9/14

To: Birmingham Moor Street
Class: 67025
Details: A fun trip on Chilterns 67s!

To: Leamington Spa

To: Solihull
Class: 67018
Details: All was fun apart from the very tight connection from 67025 onto this at Leamington.

Class: 168214 :(
Details: I endured it.
Last train traveled.
D 5061 NYMR. Traveled from Goathland-Pickering.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

fishquinn wrote:Last Journeys.

9/9/14

Details: All was fun apart from the very tight connection from 67025 onto this at Leamington.

*yawn*

At least make a muffin joke or something!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
fishquinn
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by fishquinn »

JamieLei wrote:
fishquinn wrote:Last Journeys.

9/9/14

*yawn*

At least make a muffin joke or something!
If you don't want me to post I won't
Last train traveled.
D 5061 NYMR. Traveled from Goathland-Pickering.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

nicfer wrote:Last train travel for me was on December 2013, from La Plata to Constitution Station on Buenos Aires to a meeting with another transports forum. The branch is about to be electrified with 25Kv catenary as the existent branches on the Roca line. Necesary for a highly used 60km (almost 40 miles) branch.

Wow! Have you got any pictures? How is the line run - public or private company? I'm always interested in how railways do business in other parts of the world. I'm currently in Germany and seeing how the East Germany railways did 'business' is rather amusing: they relied upon fellow citizens for fare enforcement and the tickets didn't say the price on, so of course no one paid and they simply just turned the crank and issued themselves tickets for free.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

JamieLei wrote:
nicfer wrote:Last train travel for me was on December 2013, from La Plata to Constitution Station on Buenos Aires to a meeting with another transports forum. The branch is about to be electrified with 25Kv catenary as the existent branches on the Roca line. Necesary for a highly used 60km (almost 40 miles) branch.

Wow! Have you got any pictures? How is the line run - public or private company? I'm always interested in how railways do business in other parts of the world. I'm currently in Germany and seeing how the East Germany railways did 'business' is rather amusing: they relied upon fellow citizens for fare enforcement and the tickets didn't say the price on, so of course no one paid and they simply just turned the crank and issued themselves tickets for free.
Of course, Argentine railways were largely built and run by British 'free-standing' companies, until Peron nationalised them.
S-Transport
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by S-Transport »

Vikhammer (near to Trondheim in Norway) to Levanger (a bit more north) and back. No problems with the trains, but tickets are like everything in Norway very expensive.
Greetings, S-Transport
My pictures
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Berlin Hbf - Köln Hbf (ICE 2)
Köln Hbf - Brussels Midi (ICE 3)
Brussels Midi - London St Pancras International (Eurostar)
London St Pancras International - Stratford International (Class 395)

Railtour passed through at Köln so I made sure to get lots of pictures of the trainspotters on board!
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Went round the Hertford loop today, only added about 15 minutes on to the journey. I also want to complain about HSTs. Even the good ones like ECs are s*** because the windows in the vestibules are left open meaning they're noisier and the fact that the doors are manual means greater dwell times. Also it is ridiculous that they still run so many services for EC which are entirely under the wires (yes I know that this is because they are serviced at Neville hill & that EC don't have enough electric stock, but still)
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Dave

Post by Dave »

Paddington-Temple Meads and return. Out via Parkway and a paintballing centre. Paintballs hurt.

Totally concur on HSTs.

Four minute minimum dwell at stations. Does keep station stops down though haha, which is good for people with unreserved seats like me haha
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Chris wrote:because the windows in the vestibules are left open
No comment... :P

I always end up by the windows on a HST. Not because of lack of seats, I just like to watch the world go by.
I did love the approach to at night Stevenage off the Hertford branch, looking out the right-hand side windows. Array of light from all the signalling and nearby roads/houses. Makes quite a sight. Of course coming off the branch, it is slow enough to be able to look out without the wind trying to suffocate you.
Fleashosio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fleashosio »

I sure hope that inner-city trains count. The states don't offer me a lot of opportunities for anything else.

Destination: Pearl/Arts District station
Company: DART
Train Class: Kinki Sharyo-Super LRV
Details: A bit of a wait for a train to arrive, but it was the middle of a saturday. Not as many homeless people this time, and the ticket machine didn't eat my money (but the parking meter downtown did. so +1 for dart) Didn't take it back home, because it was about the same time at night when service is terminated for the day, and taking the train that late is spooky. Gave a homeless man a dollar coin because the machines only give you change in coins. (For those who aren't from the states, dollar coins are kinda rare. Its usually paper.)
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Ongar - North Weald - Coopershale (Epping) - North Weald

4 Schoma locos and a 1960s Craven's unit. Great fun.
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Yesterday:
1113 Salisbury - Oldfield Park (0900 1V94 Brighton - Great Malvern) 158/9

Today:
1329 Bath Spa - Salisbury (1208 1O95 Cardiff Central - Fareham) 158/9

Went up to Bath to visit one of the ex-sandwich year placement students from my partners work as we had never visited before. We went out to a Motown club night in an old theatre too. Made me miss being a student! I definitely don't have the liver for it any more though...
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 61653 »

Last journey that wasn't my usual run:
Last Friday...
1739 Batley-Manc Vic, Northern 142+158 (I was in the latter, of course!)
MagicBus service 142 from Picc Gardens to Wilmslow Road Sainsburys.
Sunday...
Mauldeth Road - Manchester Picc, Northern 323.
Picc - St. Peters, then on to Shudehill. Both M5000, obviously!
Manchester Victoria to Bradford Interchange, Northern 150149.
Bradford Interchange - Batley High Street, Arriva Yorkshire service 283.
Last edited by 61653 on 05 Oct 2014 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
I was social distancing before it was cool 8)
Formerly known as 47434
Last train journey I could be bothered to look up the headcode for: 04/02/2016, Mirfield to Batley, 2J34 1459 Huddersfield to Leeds, Northern Rail 144015
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Today - Chelmsford to Liverpool Street, class 321, stopping at the intermediates and then fast from Shenfield.
Tube to KGX
KGX to York - Class 91 (get me some 125mph action traction or something like that)
York to Scarborough for the ACORP awards, Class 185 for the... something or other.
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Stratford International - St Pancras International - Blackfriars
Blackfriars - St Pancras International - Stratford International.

I should really start eating muffins to spice up my commute...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Huddersfield -> Manchester Victoria, aboard a 150/2
...and then the reverse

This train used to be a HUD -> MCV, although in the summer when the timetables were shifted about, this train now goes to Wigan Wallgate, the train is often a lot busier than it was, and yet Northern are still running it in the usual 150 or 142/144, when it now clearly should be at minimum a 3 carriage train.

Also for some reason, the Huddersfield station announcer says 'Wigan' as if he's been held against a wall with a gun at his nads. He sounds under a lot of pressure on the pre-recorded change from the station before to Wigan. Really could have done with re-recording the previous station so his follow up into Wigan didn't sound so out of place.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 61653 »

Redirect Left wrote:Huddersfield -> Manchester Victoria, aboard a 150/2
...and then the reverse

This train used to be a HUD -> MCV, although in the summer when the timetables were shifted about, this train now goes to Wigan Wallgate, the train is often a lot busier than it was, and yet Northern are still running it in the usual 150 or 142/144, when it now clearly should be at minimum a 3 carriage train.

Also for some reason, the Huddersfield station announcer says 'Wigan' as if he's been held against a wall with a gun at his nads. He sounds under a lot of pressure on the pre-recorded change from the station before to Wigan. Really could have done with re-recording the previous station so his follow up into Wigan didn't sound so out of place.
I'd noticed that about the Wigan announcements at Huddersfield too, it also surprised me that they just say Wigan, rather than Wigan Wallgate. It doesn't particularly matter, but they do announce Liverpool services as Lime Street despite the fact that they're hardly going to be going to Central!
I don't think 144s ever run the HUD-MCV section, as now that they usually run beyond Manchester and I think of the West side drivers, only Victoria are passed on 144s. Best chance of a 'super-pacer' (oxymoron?) West of Springwood Junction is on the Sunday evening Leeds-Marsden service.
I was social distancing before it was cool 8)
Formerly known as 47434
Last train journey I could be bothered to look up the headcode for: 04/02/2016, Mirfield to Batley, 2J34 1459 Huddersfield to Leeds, Northern Rail 144015

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”