Mancbranch's Screenshots: Starting 1702 with FIRS

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
mancbranch
Engineer
Engineer

Mancbranch's Screenshots: Starting 1702 with FIRS

Post by mancbranch »

Hi Guys, played TTD and OpenTTD for years, I used to be on usenet probably about 15 years ago now. My name is Paul but I can't remember what my nickname was, I remember Eddie and a guy called Rick I think, sure some others. Josef used to be on their too with the TTDpatch.

I tend to come back to OpenTTD every couple of years, I am currently running 1.5beta with no patches. I've always played with a few vehicle NewGrf sets but always standard industries. Inspired by leifbk's thread (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=71474) I fancied a go at both a really early game (to force me to use RV's rather than trains) and also I fancied a go at a NewGrf industry set. I played around with the three main ones, ECS didn't really work for me so I decided to go with FIRS.

Anyhow, 256x256 map, English (so drive on left), flat, low towns, normal industries, medium sea, no rivers, £100k loan, 2% interest with no inflation. I think that is the main of the settings. Newgrf wise I am using Squid Ate Fish and Sailing Ships, plus eGRVTS and FIRS as I mentioned. I'll explain other Newgrfs as I progress further.

I started in 1702 (meant 1700 but was messing with the date on the start screen, no matter), and immediately so my first opportunity, a fishing ground (producing 119tons a month) with a harbour about 30 tiles away. I ploughed all my money into this, buying 8 brigs. Thankfully these raked in the money earning about £2k each a year.
Nanwell Transport, 27th Dec 1702.png
Nanwell Transport, 27th Dec 1702.png (101.58 KiB) Viewed 440 times
My next post will fast forward about 4 years, and look at my first road industry. Hope this post is ok!
mancbranch
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Mancbranch's Screenshots: Starting 1702 with FIRS

Post by mancbranch »

If anyone can tell me how to make the images show without needing to click them that would be great.

By 1706 I have found my next opportunity, which has been running for about 3 years at this point. I am moving wood from a forest to a nearby paper mill. The forest seems to be a massive producer, even without supplying it anything it is pumping out 139t of wood a month. I have invested as much money as I can in a fleet of 30 4xHorse's. These are doing on average 3.3 round trips per year, earning £100 per trip. I quickly realised with this many horses I needed a 1-way system (thanks for the tip leifbk!), which keeps them running nice and steady.

The fishing ground is going fine. I sold one ship as I noticed seven was adequate. With 8 there were always two queuing to be filled up.
Nanwell Transport, 9th Jul 1706.png
Nanwell Transport, 9th Jul 1706.png (149.33 KiB) Viewed 440 times
mancbranch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mancbranch »

By 1709 I have branched out further, by sending clay from the pit next to the forest, back to the paper mill. To ease congestion I have laid down another double highway, again as a 1 way system. The clay pit produced 79t a month and I am using 20 4xHorse's to move it to the paper mill. Next stop, doing something about those goods and supplies it is creating!
Nanwell Transport, 30th May 1709.png
Nanwell Transport, 30th May 1709.png (173.93 KiB) Viewed 440 times
On the other side of the map I have opened another road route. This time moving iron ore to a nearby iron works. Producing 99t a month I am using 30 4xHorse's, which are managing to move 89% of this load.
Nanwell Transport, 31st May 1709.png
Nanwell Transport, 31st May 1709.png (144.27 KiB) Viewed 440 times
With my balance sheet looking quite healthy, it might be time to think about paying off that loan. But then again, I have a lot of food stocking up at that harbour. Maybe it's worth getting into the canal game...?
mancbranch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mancbranch »

In the last post I mentioned canals. By 1710 my harbour is producing 72t of food per month, and this is without the manufacturing supplies that are accumlating at the paper mill. I notice that the town of Puntwood, about 80 tiles away, has a hotel. With nothing nearer that will accept food, I decide to bite the bullet and open a canal.

Of course even with the altered costs from Squid it is still expensive, so 1710 is all about slowly ploughing through the countryside with my navvies.
Nanwell Transport, 25th Jun 1710.png
Nanwell Transport, 25th Jun 1710.png (151.32 KiB) Viewed 440 times
By the next year the canal is open, and a number of Brigs are moving the food to the hotel. I have also added some goods wagons onto my wood route, hauling goods back to the forest, which due to its close proximity with the town of Linfingburg is happy to accept that.
Nanwell Transport, 29th Jan 1711.png
Nanwell Transport, 29th Jan 1711.png (230.42 KiB) Viewed 440 times
The loan is still there, but with a turnover of nearly £100k a year, it should start to be paid back quickly now.
mancbranch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mancbranch »

Fast forward to 1719 and an awful lot has happened. Using money from the food run I was able to pay off my loan, and start to use my profits for a quick expansion. Several key routes have been opened, which I shall try to explain.
Nanwell Transport, 9th Jan 1719.png
Nanwell Transport, 9th Jan 1719.png (154.89 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Firstly I am now using the manufacturing supplies from the paper mill to supply a local stockyard, sendsing 20 4xHorse's to it, along with a further 30 4xHorses worth to the harbour. This has resulted in an increase of food production from the harbour of around 50%.

Not long after I opened my canal (and well before it earnt what it cost me to built), the nearby town of Gruntown opened a grocers. So I am now using 15 4xHorses to take some of the harbour food to town. Whilst a reduced number of 5 brigs take more to the hotel.

The stockyard is supplied with livestock from a local mixed farm, where 20 4xHorses move around 45 items per month. The food produced by the stockyard is all being sent to Gruntown grocers at the moment.
Nanwell Transport, 10th Jan 1719.png
Nanwell Transport, 10th Jan 1719.png (157.63 KiB) Viewed 440 times
My fishing ground and iron ore mine are looking after themselves, and are quitely making a nice profit each year.
mancbranch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mancbranch »

This is my last post for tonight, as I have now caught up to where I am in the game.

In my last post you'd see a textile mill to the south west of Gruntown. Having found a couple of sheep farms nearby, and with a huge excess of manufacturing supplies (at one point I always had 1,000+ crates sitting in the station) I decided to start a new route. Being on the coast I have gone with sea power, using Brigs via a canal to move the wool from the farm to the textile mill, with a small set of transfer wagons to move wool from one farm to another. Between the two farms they make around 50 bales a month. Or enough for 1 brig a month.
Nanwell Transport, 7th Sep 1722.png
Nanwell Transport, 7th Sep 1722.png (146.83 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Down at the mill, I have extended my manufacturing supplies route from the harbour, adding another 10 wagons to take some to the mill. I have created a new station (with attached dock) for the mill, to ensure it recieves the supplies rather than the harbour. I had to alter the locks for the canal so I could get those bridges over. I did wonder about just shutting down the canal to the hotel, but left it open in the end. The goods which are created by the mill (around 25 crates a month at the moment) are being hauled by 5 4xHorses to Gruntown.
Nanwell Transport, 8th Sep 1722.png
Nanwell Transport, 8th Sep 1722.png (163.88 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Finally here is an overview of my finances etc:
Nanwell Transport, 9th Sep 1722.png
Nanwell Transport, 9th Sep 1722.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 440 times
If there is anything else you'd like a look at, do let me know.

I hope this is interesting and I am not talking to myself :-)
mancbranch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mancbranch »

Seems there is a limit of 3 files per post, so here is one last post with the world map as of 1722.
Nanwell Transport, 10th Sep 1722.png
Nanwell Transport, 10th Sep 1722.png (197.41 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

There's some nice stuff here mancbranch. Can I recommend zooming in and turning on trees when taking your screenshots? They'll look even better then. :)

Return to “Screenshots”