[OTTD] Dave's New Screenshot Thread

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Dave's New Screenshot Thread

Post by Kevo00 »

The workmen's train is cute.

Naming every signal is a new level of dedication! Shame OTTD doesn't have distant signals.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Kevo00 wrote:The workmen's train is cute.

Naming every signal is a new level of dedication! Shame OTTD doesn't have distant signals.
It is isn't it. Takes the fun out of the game a bit. But I think once you're familiar with the concept of block sections and clearing points etc, it does make the game much more of a challenge to build that way (and you don't HAVE to name them - I just did for illustration). I reckon I could run double the number of trains on a normally signalled line.

I don't know if I'll stick with it but distant signals would help. Of course the implementation of even a caution signal is beyond the realms so the concept of a signal that will never show red is surely beyond us.

There again, I guess you could do it in such a way that the distant signal is a station tile which reacts to a Path being set - it would always react in the sense of coming off though, and probably impossible to link it with the next signal (unless programmable/conditional signals come over to Open)
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Dave

Post by Dave »

New game, but I'm starting to settle into this one, so hopefully there'll be a few from here.

10 years after incorporation, the Middlesborough and Cleckheaton Railway, under the guidance of renowned engineer Jonathan Palmer Dunhill, had expanded from a heavily used coal railway to include a passenger service between Middlesborough and Cleckheaton, and later to Rufford to the north.

After a stormy relationship with Cleckheaton parish council, tensions had thawed enough for a plan to be hatched to expand the by now hopelessly small station.

Here's a picture of the current station with avoiding lines:
cleckheatoncongestion.png
cleckheatoncongestion.png (255.13 KiB) Viewed 2405 times

Flickr

Dave

Post by Dave »

The first phase of the work involved remodelling the 4 line track to the west of the station, removing the bridges carrying the main lines over the down goods, and moving the up goods line near the company's engine shed. Preparatory works had also been undertaken on the ground to create a new tunnel for the down goods. The goods lines are to be rerouted to avoid the station and indeed the town altogether - a sweetener to the town council to remove the dirty coal trains from the lines through the town.
cleckheatonworks1.png
cleckheatonworks1.png (278.5 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
The second phase is here - one of the company's coal trains had been used as a ballast train, as seen in shot, whilst the alignment had been slewed left - the up goods was to become the up main, with the up goods line diverging to join the down goods to the west.
cleckheatonworks2.png
cleckheatonworks2.png (515.52 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
The next phase of the project was to construct the new avoiding lines, as shown here. They circled the town quite widely, and re-joined the line to the north. Some coal trains were still to use the main lines - these were from the colliery east of Cleckheaton.
cleckheatonworks3.png
cleckheatonworks3.png (718.65 KiB) Viewed 279 times

Flickr

Dave

Post by Dave »

And here's the station following track remodelling, awaiting installation of the new platforms. Unfortunately, Cleckheaton council had returned to a rather frosty stance, and had withdrawn building rights for the station, much to Dunhill's annoyance...
cleckheatonworks4.png
cleckheatonworks4.png (536.15 KiB) Viewed 2387 times

Flickr

Dave

Post by Dave »

17 years after incorporation, the company is going strong, but has upset many local authorities with its dirty trains!

Having now spread across the north midland region, the board proposed and approved a change to the North Midland Railway in 1887.

This shot shows a recent extension, to the Attleborough Mining Co, which traverses the central mountains via Faversham and Reading.

The nature of the grades requires a banking engine to assist the 0-6-0 Goods, as here where 0-4-2 No. 742 banks a train of coal, headed by 0-6-0 No. 1104, out of the coal yard.
attleborough.png
attleborough.png (518.09 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
Meanwhile, down the line at Reading, the growing suburban nature of this railway is shown as two 4-2-2 Spinners depart in opposite directions.
reading.png
reading.png (224.67 KiB) Viewed 2356 times
On the other side of the network, the NMR has extended beyond Middlesbrough to Bedford, the largest city, and Crewe, both of which are highly industrial. In this shot, we see one of the 4-2-2 Spinners employed on the long distance services arriving at Crewe. Here, rather than use underpowered road vehicles to get round the undulating town, the town council requested a short branch line. This operates in addition to a busy freight line which runs from Crewe Quarry to Bilston Engineering in Bedford. Both of these use the recently designed Jinty tank engine, showing their versatility - both as a capable freight engine and on short distance trips.
crewe.png
crewe.png (767.97 KiB) Viewed 279 times

Flickr

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

The sheer decadence of giving Crewe a branch-station instead of telling people to just walk down their single(!) street to the main station... ;)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Cleckheaton in 1900... 30 years played, most I've played for years!
cleckheaton1900.png
cleckheaton1900.png (837.79 KiB) Viewed 278 times

Flickr

Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Those awkward local authorities always interfere with my grand plans too, even to the extent that I can't build a station canopy (hey, I don't care if the 4,000 passengers waiting for a connection get wet) :lol: . Still, you got your way in Cleckheaton in the end!

Crewe Hill is a cute indulgence but I expect it will do good business!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yes the train is making solid profit. I love dem Jintys

Flickr

S-Transport
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by S-Transport »

Kevo00 wrote:Those awkward local authorities
There is a nice cheat for that...
Greetings, S-Transport
My pictures
Dave

Post by Dave »

Enjoying this game, but can feel it starting to peter out, despite having loads of things still to achieve!

Here's a pair of 4-4-2 Klondykes racing past each other through the Epping Valley, on the way to...
eppingvalleyvia.png
eppingvalleyvia.png (601.31 KiB) Viewed 277 times
The new southern base of the North Midland, now named simply "Midland"! Epping is a county town, surrounded by several others, and naturally the Midland took much advantage of this, creating a Suburban Electric network using 8 car Gate Tubes. Steam mail trains, and a trio of 4-4-2T Suburbans run over the juice to the non-electrified branch of Roehampton on the south west coast. In this shot No. 3406 is waiting for Jinty No 230's mail train to clear the junction before embarking on the anti clockwise branch. Note the new depot design and the colour light signals, which use the energised track for power.
epping.png
epping.png (762.5 KiB) Viewed 277 times
And the branch at Roehampton - 4-4-2T No 187 awaits departure from the seaside town. Note the non electrified rails.
roehampton.png
roehampton.png (513.15 KiB) Viewed 2147 times

Flickr

Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

S-Transport wrote:
Kevo00 wrote:Those awkward local authorities
There is a nice cheat for that...
Yes but I like them to be awkward :wink:

Liking the electric hub Dave.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Dave's playing bloody toyland! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here at Tinklebottom West Junction, there's a lot of congestion.

Train 29 is coming off the industrial branch with full toffee hoppers. Waiting for it is Train 14 with the down express passenger to Tinklebottom, and Train 27 with loaded candyfloss trucks. Both 27 and 29 are off to the Crustyworth Sweet factory. In this mess, Train 8 waits with an up all stations.

Money now no object, so next is 4 tracking! Then going BIGGGG!
Attachments
tinklebottomwjn.png
tinklebottomwjn.png (202.96 KiB) Viewed 276 times
chuffrail.png
chuffrail.png (157.35 KiB) Viewed 1901 times

Flickr

Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, my eye. Not even OpenGFX can make Toyland look good.
Something goes here, hell if I know.
Dave

Post by Dave »

So I've gone big... Very big.

And I'm really enjoying it! Clearly I needed Toyland to let the shackles of realism go, as I'm building all sorts of weird contraptions to accommodate my 60 trains.

Observe:

Spluttergate Junction is a four way junction, but like none you've ever seen - trains of all cargoes traverse here, with express and local passenger trains to Tinklebottom, local trains to Fallingate, express trains to Slimeygate and through trains to the Bobby Pin Sweet Factory and the Acid Cola Co. It's... an interesting design, with waypoints EVERYwhere.

In this rather quiet shot you can see a local Fallingate service approaching the tunnel to Spluttergate, following a local service from Tinklebottom (this calls at Lazybridge). An express from Tinklebottom enters the complex from the Down Fast bridge, and a loaded toffee train struggles towards Bobby Pin.

Note how I've hilariously tried to keep it realistic by assigning tracks Up and Down designations.
spluttergatejn.png
spluttergatejn.png (430.13 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
Bobby Pin Sweet Factory is another maze - but it was recently converted to Ro-Ro operation and now produces many sweets for the children of Slimeygate. In this shot the same toffee train from before arrives into the complex from Spluttergate Jn, whilst empty sweets vans arrive from the Slimeygate direction. A loaded sweets train and an empty candyfloss train returning to Tinklebottom Forest are leaving using the departure lines.

Think I've got my Up and Down confused somewhere ;)
bobbypin.png
bobbypin.png (582.92 KiB) Viewed 275 times
Here's an overview of the whole south east area, which is largely industrial bar Lazybridge and Tinklebottom. You'll notice the four tracking - I'm using the same engine on every train (I can't be bothered with all that) so speed is of very little point - I've just called them fast and slow out of habit - in truth I use the four tracking to sort trains into the relevant places - here all the freight trains use the slow lines but near Bobby Pin sweets trains to Slimeygate share the fast lines with the passenger trains. Another incredible junction complex here.

Who am I kidding with "reception" and "departure" lines!?
southeast.png
southeast.png (564.52 KiB) Viewed 275 times

Flickr

Dave

Post by Dave »

MOAR SCREENS

Spluttergate - the jewel in the company's crown, with the city much funded by profits. There was a recent expansion to include 20 buses, a successful venture now serving five parts of Spluttergate. In a more controversial move, Chuff Rail ended the very short trips from Crackerjack Toys to Twisterpool, and instead utilised tracks used by plastic trains to that factory to access new metals to House of Toys, a huge toyshop in the southwest of Spluttergate, boosting profits.

I think I'm tripping...
spluttergate.png
(979.54 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
A few ad campaigns...

Chuff off back to where you came from with CHUFF RAIL!

It's so chuffing quick to go by CHUFF RAIL!

Chuff this, I'm going by CHUFF RAIL!

Travel CHUFF RAIL! So you can get absolutely chuffed!

Tremendous fun :D
chuffrail2.png
chuffrail2.png (49.99 KiB) Viewed 1843 times

Flickr

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Dave, I'm worried for you, what is this madness? That being said, whilst it's madness, is magnificent and hilarious madness :D :lol:
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Tracks and junctions everywhere, looking great Dave!
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

It's like you've eaten far far too many Skittles and then thrown up everywhere....
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||

Return to “Screenshots”