[OTTD-1.4] siu238X's Screenshots -- Pattenia

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

[OTTD-1.4] siu238X's Screenshots -- Pattenia

Post by siu238X »

Hi all. For nearly 10 years in this forum, this would actually be my first time to systematically post screenshots. As I am playing a rather big game, I think I should make an introduction of it before posting any savegames or screenshots.

This game was a standard climate started in 2011, with a few newGRFs in action. The game initially started in 1935 and reached the year of 2052 before I decided to test out the Cargo Distribution branch on this set of savegame. The game lasted until 2467, when CargoDist has been admitted to main release. Feeling I could do it again, I made a branch from 1950 and do it all over again.

I even went on and utilized the newGRF debugging feature to re-vamp the newGRFs.

The current GRF set I am using are as follows:
  • UKRS2 v1.05
  • UKRS2+ gobi
  • eGRVTS v2.0 - r188
  • UK Roadset v1.1
  • UK Town Set v2.1
  • ISR 1.0.0
----

Now it's time for a backend story of this set of screenshots...
Pattenia was a centerpiece of a happy stripe of land, arguably resembling a huge shoal, connecting to landmasses to North and South, but facing oceans on the East and West. For many years, people live as if they're parallel to British in our real world, thus their climate, building style and road system all resemble Britain.

In 1935 (of that universe), a lady entrepreneur named H.R. Baker entered the south-eastern region of Pattenia, and started a coal service near the town of Neningbury. Naturally her firm bore the name of Neningbury Transport. Noticing the massive area and resources, Baker quickly started cargo services elsewhere in Pattenia...
Last edited by siu238X on 31 Mar 2014 14:33, edited 4 times in total.
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Part 0001: The very first coal line

Post by siu238X »

(Note: All screenshots would be taken at the very date of 2200-01-01 unless otherwise specified)

To start with, the initial coal line that earned H.R. Baker a fortune is a must-see. Curiously, the line has not always been rewarding to the "Beechies"' investment, and the line converted from rail to truck operation in the early 21st Century. Only with the new deep underground coal seams turning the mine back to its full swing, that rail operation was re-introduced in 2090.

The original rail alignment, as well as the truck line, had been closer to the city of Dedhead Cross, and to the North of Neningbury (the town which the company initially named after). However, when it's decided to bring back coal trains in 2090, the surronding railway lines were pretty crowded, and the reinstated line had to be moved southwards.

It turned out to be a slightly flawed decision, as the new passenger line (numbered 1A, whose suffix was the result of the poor route numbering schemes in the early days) and the mainline junctions were also moved there. As a result, the old place where the good old coal line crossed the main line became a nicely built suburb of Neningbury.

The suburb is currently served by two tram routes, one running to the regional rail station of Neningbury, and the other connecting the main line station of Dedhead Cross Central (i.e. the place our good HQ stands)
Pattenia Transport Authority, 2200-01-01, 0001-01.png
Overview of our very first line. It's now served by seven 7-car trains
(319.77 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 2200-01-01, 0001-02.png
The mine is currently proudly pouring out 1.5 kilotonnes of coal every month
(329.44 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 2200-01-01, 0001-03.png
An image showing how the old and the new lines are aligned
(360.02 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by siu238X on 27 Aug 2012 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Part 0001: The very first coal line (continued)

Post by siu238X »

Two more screens for part 0001. Don't know that posting have an attachment limit until now!
Pattenia Transport Authority, 2200-01-01, 0001-04.png
The unloading side. The old line was along the *upper edge* of the trough labelled near the right hand side of this screen.
(294.01 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 2200-01-01, 0001-05.png
The original line is now overgrown with trees, detached houses and tram overhead cables...
(410.34 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Part 0002: The old branch in a trough

Post by siu238X »

[I strongly suggest you read the previous part if you haven't read it yet]
[Usual disclaimer: All shots done on 2200-01-01 unless otherwise specified]

In the kick-off plan of H.R. Baker, the coal line was not as straightforward as most thought. Instead, there was a sneaky branch up to the hills between Finfingley Market and Dedhead Cross. The purpose of that line was, of course, coal transport. That branch joined the "main line" at the trough mentioned in the previous part. As traffic grew, the junction had to be grade-seperated, thus the branch was brought down into a trough.

This branch, along with the "main line" in part 0001, converted to truck operation. Unlike the main line, this branch never had rail movement restored. There are three reasons for this.
1. Similar to the main line, the production of the coal mine dropped.
2. The proximity between the mine and the power station rendered rail operation unfeasible.
3. The North-South frieght line crossing the old "main line" (More about this in the following episodes) was (and is) handling immense traffic. Having another rail line here messed up the whole thing.

By this time, the farm lingering on the lakeside west of Neningbury was also included into Baker's tenture. To better utilise the (artificial) terrain, that branch line reused the trough. However, it was too diverted during one of the regional reconstructions.

The truck line continued for one and a half century, until the coal mine was pouring out minerals beyond the roads' capacities (still, it was just half the production rate of Dedhead Cross). As the rail network was very crowded there, it's almost impossible to bring back the rail branch as it used to be. Instead, a new line was constructed northwards, connecting the power station in the faraway coast town of Little Redingstone, which has already been served by all kinds of transportation. Neningbury power plant was already well-served by Dedhead Cross coal mine along with another, and it's not like it's needing excess energy source.

New coal trains (again, 7-car) were purchased, and as soon as the old trucks were all back to the garage, the new rail service began. In fact, this was done rather recently -- by the time these pictures were captured, the first of these new trains had just begun its second round-trip. And the nearness of the event explained why the truck stops were still intact.

Frankly, the roads could not be decommissioned even without trucks, now that villas have taken up the land right up to the mines' gateway. Instead, passenger services would utilise this historical truck road in the coming few years, bringing new life to the area.
Pattenia Transport Authority, 2200-01-01, 0002-01.png
he old truck terminal (which became overwhelmed in its later years) along with the new rail line. The train in the station was the second of eight built for the new service.
(291.73 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 2200-01-01, 0002-02.png
A computer-altered view such that the original junction is more clearly shown. The path of the old trough was still apparant. The truck road was on the left.
(223.6 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 2200-01-01, 0002-03.png
The trucks were still awaiting re-distribution. Maybe some smaller mines might find them useful...
(295.48 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Part 0003: Eastern Materials Main Line I

Post by siu238X »

(All screenshots taken on 2200-01-01 unless otherwise specified)

The two coal lines in the previous parts did not grow as expected, and eventually a line spanning across it became much more prominent, having extensive branches and arguably the only quadruple-track railway on Pattenia. However, its traffic is so extensive that its original service route have to be detached.

There were two main iron ore reserves in the south-east, one to the east of Finfingley Market and the other between Neningbury and Chonfingley Market. Iron ore was transported to the north, reaching a steel mill in a valley northwest of Finfingey Market, but named after a town further north -- Fondston. The southern mine opened in 1940 while the eastern one opened before 1947. Steel service was also provided, connecting a factory further north, west of the coastal town Little Redingstone.

Meanwhile, livestock was also transported to that factory, and branches to and from farms were connected to the mainline. Unfortunately, that means the line between the iron ore mines and the steel mill became increasing crowded. For years the steel mill station became a transfer point of livestock too.

The derailment of rail technology advance in Pattenia late in the 20th century proved fatal to steel transport, as livestock and iron ore trains now travel 30% faster, and having trains of different speed working on the same tracks became a big nuisance. Therefore, the livestock feeder service was replaced by a second pair of tracks between the steel mill and the factory in the early 21st century, enabling trains from the farm running all the way to the factory. Meanwhile, the long-ignored grain transport was also introduced, but that made traffic even more intense, so the steel trains were "temporarily" withdrawn in the 2040's, anticipated to be returned once the traffic on the main line stablized. This "temporary" closure has been lasting for over 150 years.

By 2050, the main line had been extended to the west and south, serving three more farms and one more iron ore mine. As branches merge on the stretch between the iron old ore mines and the steel mill, traffic relief became increasing challenging. The most convuluted part was the loop around Finfingley Market and Dedhead Cross proper -- Iron ore trains and milk trains each taking one of the two-track loop, rendering expansion difficult. The re-instatement of the old coal line in 2090 clearly didn't help either.

Finally, a complete re-build was carried out in 2107 -- The iron ore line became a giant loop, encircling not only Finfingley Market and Dedhead Cross but also Neningbury. The loop is two track, filled with 15-car electric trains, and each track serves one mine site. To maximize efficiency, the depot facilities are shared between the two lines, located west of Neningbury and close to the historical power plant, effectively enabling convenient utilization of electricity -- Due to the financial crisis in the late 21-century, this line became the only all-electric frieght line, necessitated by the immense power required to pull hundreds of tonnes per run. Meanwhile, the branch to Finfingley Market Farm was simplified as more efficient station design was deployed, letting thousands of tonnes be robustly transported every year.

This part of screenshots would focus on the iron ore loop. More on the mainline in the coming parts -- stay tuned ;)
----

Screen 01: Overview of the loop, with labels indicating key locations. Trains traverse anti-clockwise around the loop.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6JIm7 ... mRtZWpxVXM

Screen 02: The southern ore seam. Chonfingley Market first probed the area but Neningbury later dug their own shafts in 1959. We treated the two mines as one (in fact the later shaft was constructed within the station catchment), but after two and a half century the original mine still outputs more. The area around the station exit was originally a hill, but dug into a trough to reduce railway gradient.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6JIm7 ... kljOXkxV1U

Screen 03: The Finfingley Market mine is doing maximum production, but with the powerful 15-car trains things are not too difficult.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6JIm7 ... DdDRTFYMzQ

Screen 04: The steel mill. Originally the station complex spanned all over the area of this picture, especially on the mount that reduced to the rectangular bump in the middle. Some 3600 tonnes of steel was proudly produced last month but steel had not been transported for 150 years.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6JIm7 ... Fl1dFZVc2c
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OTTD-1.4] siu238X's Screenshots -- Pattenia

Post by siu238X »

All screenshots above are of a previous, obsolete branch of my game. Read first post for details.

Hearing some supernatural advice, we found another H.R. Baker in a parallel universe. She quickly re-commissioned some engineers to re-build her stations and trains. She also quickly established herself as the Pattenia Transport Authority, rather than waiting her descendant to do it centuries later.

She also disconnected cities from coach services, starting with her... ehh... starting town of Dedhead Cross. The town is now surrounded by a circular road with 4 bus stops. Three buses loop endlessly around the town. The coal mine station was also changed into a less-sophisticated but arguably more efficient layout.
Attachments
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1961-01-01.png
(265.81 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
DarkUk
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DarkUk »

Welcome back dude, looking good so far :)
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

DarkUk wrote:Welcome back dude, looking good so far :)
Thanks dude :wink:

------

Just another one. A steel mill alongside which the first freight main line was built.

In order to make more room for possible expansion (?), both drop and pick-up stations are put to one side of the mainline.
Attachments
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1961-01-01#3.png
(269.74 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

Time to move north-east.

The hub of that network is near a sawmill, with a farming product line getting across the site.

Understandably the farm stations are diverted to some distance from the sawmill line, but it's feared that it's not quite enough.
Attachments
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1961-01-01#7.png
(197.08 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1961-01-01#8.png
(266.99 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

Let's visit Farfingfield, the hub in the West. It's steel industry thrives as a result of nearby ore deposits.

The next settlement further west, Prafingford, is also a densely populated city, due to the soil for farmed forests.

As a result, they are the first cities receiving passenger rail service. You can see a 3rd-rail EMU parking in a station in the first screen. The trams are working on feeder service. Both of them would receive substantial upgrades in the following decade to cope with the ever-growing demand, with the final result of getting a suburban line, as seen in the 1970 screens.
Attachments
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1961-01-01#9.png
(282.03 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1970-01-01.png
(354.23 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1970-01-01#1.png
(234.14 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

Some further new changes around 1970.
Attachments
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1970-01-01#3.png
The buses in Dedhead Cross upgraded
(263.43 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1970-01-01#4.png
A southern extension of the north-east wood main line created this clumsy junction...
(296.79 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1970-01-01#6.png
... and make it very near to the factory access in the south.
(100.31 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Some nice things here!
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

A bit of assorted screens. Please read the image descriptions for details.
Attachments
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1978-07-14#1.png
In anticipation to a main-line merge, the drop station at Little Redingstone was re-modelled such that it could accept trains from both directions. It's believed that the design is a common sight in other places, so no big deal here.
(326.19 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1978-07-14#4.png
The northern town of Great Pewood was somewhat neglected from the previous alternate universe, but it's well nutured now, thanks to the new "tram engines" introduced by the PTA. Low-output industries no longer have to suffer from neglect given the processing facilities are close enough.
(323.67 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1978-07-14#5.png
And see how the city of Farfingfield thrive! Interestingly, buildings don't house more people if they are higher than a certain extent.
(315.69 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

1979 sees a climbing branch opened to the town of Luborough, which already has a bank.

It suffices with a passing place in the middle of the single track. Still, patronage is quite satisfying.

Opposed to some of the previous images, the trees were made shadowy but not totally invisible, to illustrate how the branch treads through the woodland.
Attachments
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1979-08-08.png
(337.51 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

Entering the 1980's, Pattenia Transport Authority is increasing annoyed by the tininess of the livestock carriages. However, the British manufacturers said they had long given up on transporting livestock by rail, and tankers weren't designed to hold milk.

Furious, Baker turned to American foundries for larger carriages. Soon the livestock trains were fitted with colorful double-deck livestock carriages.

Meanwhile, some grain and steel trains are also built with American Standard. The picture below illustrates the new visual variety arisen from American carriages.
Attachments
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1981-05-11.png
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1981-05-11.png (98.67 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

The 1980's also see some new lines through previously un-developed areas, primarily to keep local industries up and running.

To avoid angering local authorities lines are often built in minimal standards, as seen in the provided screenshot. Most of the lines you see are single, with passing places to let trains pass.

The served towns are also related to this expansion, such that if building is required the authority could receive a more permissive attitude from councilors.
Attachments
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1985-09-25.png
(313.63 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

Time to have some updates.

In the past decade, the authority invested mostly on freight traffic, knowing that a stable and prospering economy depends on good transport system on materials. However, to avoid excessive construction, links were made in a "quick and dirty" way. Two of the bird's eye pictures attached with this coverage showed the nature of the new lines.

Despite their greatest efforts, some industries still went out of business, rendering the branches serving them all but abandoned. It's known that the authority is seeking new sites to utilize these disused connections.
Attachments
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1990-03-14.png
Some "quick and dirty" connections.
(597.04 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1991-01-01#0.png
Some *more* quick and dirty connections.
(600.6 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1991-01-01#1.png
An abandoned branch. The authority is seeking supplying the factory with the disused line.
(591.13 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

(Continued from the previous post)

Meanwhile, trains from the existing lines are being upgraded. Newer, bigger and (slightly) faster trains are utilized such that materials could be transported more efficiently, as illustrated in the last picture.
Attachments
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1991-01-01#2.png
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1991-01-01#2.png (186.57 KiB) Viewed 377 times
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

As traffic grows, some network just need upgrade. Still, quickness is the primary concern, so dirty layouts are still sought after.
Attachments
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1999-01-01#0.png
Another steel mill complex. Aside from the lines in and out of the steel mill itself, botched lines stay botched, especially the line connecting a forest to the northwest.
(575.61 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 1991-01-01#1.png
The first ever goods delivery service. As line speed is only 112km/h, dated Speedlink wagons are built instead of those with bigger capacity.
(591.13 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

With various building work under way, the first turn of the century since the authority's establishment comes very quickly.
Attachments
Passenger trains being upgraded.  The line to the east receives brand new 5-car Electrostars.
Passenger trains being upgraded. The line to the east receives brand new 5-car Electrostars.
Pattenia Transport Authority, 2001-01-01#1.png (36.12 KiB) Viewed 375 times
Pattenia Transport Authority, 2002-01-01#0.png
This is a rather big line upgrade. This is the transport hub in the south. The main line will be extended west so the current messy end is just temporary.
(533.8 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

Return to “Screenshots”