Great New GRFs

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Great New GRFs

Post by jmc47ott »

Those are good questions. The answer is that I am not remaining current and just discovered them. I do appreciate your work, and am only mentioning things that I happen to discover as a way of "giving back." If I had the time I should probably do a more thorough job of it.

I recognize that you have been associated with many of the most important developments, and I certainly didn't intend to slight you or what you have developed. I have to thank you for pointing out that I was not current, I checked and my browser was loading a previously saved as opposed to a current page.

My problem, if that's what it is, is too many choices. I have a tendency to play with favorite maps, favorite sets and favorite scenarios. I am also still running good old comfortable v1.03. In short, I'm boringly predictable.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to fulfill it;...and only the dead have seen the end of war."
Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Shout-out and many thanks to: V453000

for PURR Universal Rainbow Rails
v 0.0.1\purr.grf
GRF ID: 56420202
MD5sum: 2E9CBFF5CE2EEC2AF1F03903EBD301A9
By V453000
http://www.openttdcoop.org

These colored rails are useful for Interchanges between different national or local lines or for multi-line terminals.
I plan to use them for my Boston subway lines as well because they provide constant color identification despite changes in engines and consists.

Attached are screenshots of a simple interchange between two national lines , and a multi-line terminal.
Austrian-German Interchange
Austrian-German Interchange
Salzburg Interchange xsm.png (703.9 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
Attachments
Wien [Vienna] terminal with multi-line interchange
Wien [Vienna] terminal with multi-line interchange
Wien Terminal Interchange.png (328.82 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
Boston Multi-line Transfer
Boston Multi-line Transfer
Boston Multi-line Transfer.png (287.33 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
Last edited by jmc47ott on 11 Aug 2013 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to fulfill it;...and only the dead have seen the end of war."
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

jmc47ott wrote:for PURR Universal Rainbow Rails
"Not to be sold separated with NUTS. If you don't go NUTS, don't do PURR." :mrgreen:

Quiite nice monorail rails, really.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

YNM wrote:
jmc47ott wrote:for PURR Universal Rainbow Rails
"Not to be sold separated with NUTS. If you don't go NUTS, don't do PURR." :mrgreen:

Quite nice monorail rails, really.
Yes, but they are not exactly just "monorail" rails. They are earning the designation ["Universal"] given by the designer, as all rail vehicles [see attachment] share the same rails.
Sharing the same rails.
Sharing the same rails.
All rail types together.png (117.19 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

El Real Madrid Logo sm.png
El Real Madrid Logo sm.png (39.49 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
My rave review, a small scenario and instructions on how to change livery for the Spain set are located in my other posts on this site, at:

Mittel European Railroads and Others, pages 4 & 5.
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 3&start=60
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

A Shout-out and Congratulations
to foobar, for the Dutch Road Furniture Development at #openttdcoop

This eye-candy is very impressive.
EDIT:But note the needed highway repairs pointed out by sharp-eyed
critics. Too bad Boston didn't hire them to keep an eye on Bechtel. Following the revelation of the
defects, Bechtel OTTD was fired and fined and the result of repairs follows. Fortunately, no
Sims were injured or killed due to the defects.

Dutch Road Furniture med.png
Dutch Road Furniture med.png (636.75 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
Attachments
Groningen Highway Tunnel<br />with Dutch Road Furniture
Groningen Highway Tunnel
with Dutch Road Furniture
Groningen Highway Tunnel.png (747 KiB) Viewed 731 times
Last edited by jmc47ott on 31 Aug 2013 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Your highwaytunnel has catenary and tracks ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

They also built the bridge supports right into the high-speed passing lanes.

Who hired this construction company??? :D
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

kamnet wrote:They also built the bridge supports right into the high-speed passing lanes.

Who hired this construction company??? :D
Lowest bidder (The governor's brother-in-law) always wins. 8)
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Thanks for the info. More lessons to learn:
1. always wear glasses.
2. always check at hi-res before posting

I was intending to make rail tunnels, interrupted my project for a few days then obviously decided to switch to highways and forgot to change the tunnels. I also did last minute repairs before taking the screen shot and didn't notice that the order of element placement seriously affects the result. Placement of gantries can mess up the result as can placing a highway piece too close to bridge or intersection. The merge piece is also a bit tricky to use. The result looks passable unless inspected closely.

Living as close to "The Big Dig" in RL as I do, I should know better.

This high speed line with tunnels was the project that got de-tunneled, if not derailed at Groningen [above] .
Attachments
repair tunnel and bridge but not gantry
repair tunnel and bridge but not gantry
North Holland RR bridge repair #1.png (127.13 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
Repaired gantry as well.
Repaired gantry as well.
North Holland RR bridge repair #2.png (163.69 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
Detunneled at Groning
Detunneled at Groning
North Holland RR Co., derailed.png (212.14 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Some Ideas for New Stations
Assen Station 30-12-1944 B.png
Assen Station 30-12-1944 B.png (233.67 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
I think It would be an appropriate addition to the preceding screenies to present a series of ideas for constructing pleasing stations. I don't generally go for the giant complexes favored by some aficionados [my versions of the Utrecht station being an exception]. But some ideas for smaller stations might be pleasing and give some ideas to new users. So, here is the first in the series [which should include information on which New GRFs are needed for construction].

Platforms come from the old standby of the name
The main bulding is from the New Station update
The small flanking structures are from the Finnish set FRSS of non station buildings as are the truck parking lots,
The car parking section is from the Canadian Station set, [EDIT: The parking in this shot is the first stage, the next stage, seen in other shots, shows larger and more modern vehicles].
Last edited by jmc47ott on 08 Dec 2013 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

jmc47ott wrote:Some Ideas for New Stations
I think It would be an appropriate addition to the preceding screenies to present a series of ideas for constructing pleasing stations. I don't generally go for the giant complexes favored by some aficionados [my versions of the Utrecht station being an exception]. But some ideas for smaller stations might be pleasing and give some ideas to new users. So, here is the first in the series [which should include information on which New GRFs are needed for construction].
I think this is a great idea jmc47ott. And I really love that station!
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Thanks Pingaware. Here are a couple more simple stations.

#1 Simple 3-track stations suitable for country or suburban use
Platforms over- and under-passes by the well-known GRF of the same name
Station building and simple platforms by CHIPS Station Set v 1.3.0
Car Park from the Canadian Station set.
NOTE: The newer Canadian Station Set versions are too large to work with some other station sets, the older v 0.3 one seems to work well with most if not all.

#2 Simple Suburban or Urban 3-track station
Dutch Station Set for shelters and underpass
Dutch Stations Add-on set v0.8 for station building, Ramp& stairs and modern CTA
Canadian set for the car park

#3 Suburban 1-track station with ample parking
Main [front] station building, and stairs & ramps from the Dutch Stations add-on set v 0.8
Rear small station building by Alexandra Palace-Early British stations
Car Parking, subways [under passes] and rural platform shelters from a Canadian Station Set
Truck parking from the ISR/DWE Style Objects set v 1.0
Attachments
Simple Country-suburban & Urban Stations.png
Simple Country-suburban & Urban Stations.png (266.7 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
1-track Suburban Station with ample parking M.png
1-track Suburban Station with ample parking M.png (422.72 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Now for some Gritty Urban Stations

#1 Main station building, Parking and plaza from Canadian Stations set
Platforms and underpasses from the famous set of the same name

#2 Station sections and CTAs from Dutch Stations Addition set v 0.8
Car Park from the Canadian set

Loading in-station is a 595 "TAF" Railcar from the Spanish Set.

Note about Parking: Sometimes the ISR/DWE object sets include car and machinery parking as well as trucks, depending on what other sets have been loaded and in which order. The Finnish Station FRSS and MariCo Dock sets seem to be too large to allow some other sets to be fully loaded The truck parking is almost always available.

#3 here is a screenshot that compares the Canadian parking GRF to the full set of ISR/DWE-style Objects' parking.
Attachments
Stations set #1 a  urban.png
Stations set #1 a urban.png (129.05 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
Stations set #1 d  urban.png
Stations set #1 d urban.png (106.6 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
Rijeka Transport Co., 15th Dec 2006#1.png
Rijeka Transport Co., 15th Dec 2006#1.png (447.87 KiB) Viewed 2604 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

How about a choice of personal or public transportation to sporting events? Here in the Boston area you can take a commuter train to the football stadium, Gillette Stadium, which has a dedicated spur line for sports fans taking the train from Boston to Foxboro. Here are some kilted N.E. Patriots fans at the real stadium station.
Gilette Stadium Train Station & fans in kilts.png
Gilette Stadium Train Station & fans in kilts.png (77.4 KiB) Viewed 2578 times
This being the USA, Football means American Football [everyone else's "football" is called soccer]. Gillette Stadium is the home of the New England Patriots. The local professional soccer team, The New England Revolution, is a "poor cousin" and gets to use Gillette Stadium when it is not required by the Patriots.

When my game gave me a stadium near a RR station, I decided to improve the station to make it somewhat like the Gillette station area. The stadium has a huge parking area, and many shops and restaurants. My first attempt was fairly simple, but I later expanded the shopping area and parking lot.

#1 Station by Dutch Stations Addition Set v 0.8
Car park by Canadian Station set, hut by CHIPS, trucks by ISR/DWE Objects
#2 Main Station by New Stations v 0.51, outer buildings by Finish Stations FRSS and Platforms, overpass and CTA by
Dutch Stations Addition set v 0.8, Parking lots by ISR/DWE Objects, Hotel and shops by Japanese Stations v 2.0
[v 3.0 does not provide this modular set.]

*Note: I ended up having to fake the last shot because the city bureaucrats closed the stadium. :shock:
Attachments
Station & Stadium Parking.png
Station & Stadium Parking.png (413.65 KiB) Viewed 2578 times
Rijeka [Gillette Stadium] 26th Jul 2008.png
Rijeka [Gillette Stadium] 26th Jul 2008.png (287.16 KiB) Viewed 2578 times
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Good screenshots :) .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Very creative material - though I think your Ally Pally building might be the wrong way round!

Car parks at British football grounds used to be a rarity until recently. But some sort of dingy industrial setting next to a railway and canal would seem about right.
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure which building you are referring to, but my guess is the Japanese hotel entrance. I tried both possibilities and the problems were similar. 2-block frontage just doesn't work, three would have been better [as shown here], but I didn't want to demolish more city infrastructure and then have to cheat to re-do the planned expansion. As it is, the stadium disappeared and I had to fake the final screen shot to put it back. I don't like doing that.

As to parking, I am aware that, although New England is the most heavily populated part of the US, most of the UK and EU are more densely populated. Where I live the density is 1,200 Km2, whereas the Greater Boston area [including significant forest and farm land] is only 366 Km2 [built up areas reach 800 to 1,000 Km2]. You also have much better public transportation. Thus I have to admit that Gillette Stadium is not in close proximity to a built up area as the screenies show. Also, to be orientationally correct, there should be only a single track station with rails leading in the opposite direction [as shown here].

You might find our urban geography disorienting, if you are British/English, because place names like Foxborough, Boston, Derry, Wrentham, Plymouth, etc. are not in the same geographical relationships as the originals in the UK. If you are interested in the RW layout, you can Google Gillette Stadium and, of course, look at Google Map for the area. Although really great, the GRFs available can't always accurately reproduce the RW structures and layout.

Here is a faked shot giving a more realistic idea of the RW layout, but even so it is inaccurate. I will continue the game with this station, but it is not an EU or UK scenario. The stadium is on the town lines of the two far out suburban [into the country] towns of Walpole and Foxborough [often changed to Foxboro].
Attachments
Gillette Stadium RW faked sm.png
Gillette Stadium RW faked sm.png (522.16 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

I am very fond of vehicle New GRFs that allow color choices. The Czech set has launched a set [CSsalina set 1.1] of trams that offer a variety of passenger load and choice of liveries. This set deserves to be included in Great New GRFs,
with many thanks to the developer(s)!

Blahoprejeme!

In #3 the RR station is busy with Trams of the CS salina set v.1.1. The different livery denotes different lines served at the station. The car park is from the ISR/DWE style objects v 1.0. The main station building is from the New Stations 12, the outbuildings are from the Finnish FRISS objects, the platforms are from the set of the same name, and the park is from the "VAST Assortment of Station Tiles-with extras."
Attachments
Czech Tram display ct.png
Czech Tram display ct.png (452.55 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
Czech tram in Bremen, DBR, at joint tram &amp; bus stop
Czech tram in Bremen, DBR, at joint tram & bus stop
Hannover RR Co., Bremen 1952 s.png (483.13 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
Busy tram stop at RR station
Busy tram stop at RR station
Rijeka Transport Co. busy tam stop 2008 m.png (644.03 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
Last edited by jmc47ott on 16 Dec 2013 04:29, edited 3 times in total.
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Czech Tram co arms image A1.png
Czech Tram co arms image A1.png (100.75 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
Oops!

I forgot to mention anything about the trams' location.
It is referenced on the GRF Releases page under "CS salina set 1.1"

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewforum.php?f=67&start=30

The page refers interested readers to the BaNaNas site.

http://bananas.openttd.org/en/

Return to “Screenshots”