Great New GRFs

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Great New GRFs

Post by jmc47ott »

The Early Vehicle and Sailing Ship GRF sets are really cool!
I'm a New Englander and love the ships under full sail. They
are not my work, but they deserve to be shown, so here are
a few views. The "Great Retro Grfs" file shows the list of
available vehicles in the depots.

Gif vs GRF, silly mistake, agreed.
Attachments
Great Retro GIFs 29-10-1904s.png
Great Retro GIFs 29-10-1904s.png (33.9 KiB) Viewed 831 times
Marblehead Dock, 1898, 23-08-1904s.png
Marblehead Dock, 1898, 23-08-1904s.png (54.67 KiB) Viewed 8183 times
Last edited by jmc47ott on 14 Sep 2011 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to fulfill it;...and only the dead have seen the end of war."
Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Great New GIFs

Post by Leanden »

I think you mean GRFs.
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Great New GRFs

Post by jmc47ott »

Yankee Clippers traded with all parts of the world. In their heyday Boston was a major port and Massachusetts grew rich on trade.
Attachments
Pardon the pun, and the ahistoricity.
Pardon the pun, and the ahistoricity.
New England Clipper Co. 1896 Go Sox!.png (149.53 KiB) Viewed 8013 times
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to fulfill it;...and only the dead have seen the end of war."
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Are those gas fueled light standards by the dock? :wink:
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Great work JM :D Hope to see more shipping screenies

I wander if it may be worth using the wooden docks to match the ships better; here...

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=530590#p530590
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Hi Jacob,

Yes a wooden dock would be more authentic, but I don't happen to have that grf in my files. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit

There are some other incongruous elements in the above shot. I think the "Traffic Jam" shot looks more correct. I made the area around the dock look more like stonework, and the RR bridge also look older. I am not complaining about the GRFs we have, but the later stone and earlier iron & steel bridges were much more decorative than these. Someone was taken aback by the bridges in the Czech set [posted in the Mittel Euroean string], but I don't think detail work would show up too well in the resolutions possible.
Attachments
New England Clipper Logo-S.png
New England Clipper Logo-S.png (14.17 KiB) Viewed 7673 times
Update on Somerville
Update on Somerville
Charles River Traffic Jam 02-09-1892.png (52.88 KiB) Viewed 7616 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

This adjusted dock looks particularly good with coal loading structures. Le Brassus station [from the New Stations
non-track tiles set] looks satisfactorily grungy and industrial, don't you think?

Note to Wallyweb,
There are old gas lamps in Boston [retro fitted to electric of course] so they are not too out of place. Unfortunately, they won't load now so newer shots will have to be less illuminating:)

EDIT
Upon further checking, I have found that the DWE New Objects set seems to load those features only in version 1.1.1 and later. The shots without them were made using v 1.0.5.
Attachments
Winthrop Colliery, 24-02-1893.png
Winthrop Colliery, 24-02-1893.png (72.97 KiB) Viewed 7613 times
Last edited by jmc47ott on 17 Oct 2011 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Other great new GRFs are available from the Japanese team. The newest, Japanese Maglevs are depicted here. Please note that the Readme file must be read before using them. As shown they are not running on maglev track. The track choice is only one of the available parameter settings, others adjust speed, loading time, etc. These are only a sample as other series, some with choice of alternative livery, are available.

On my other string I showed some examples of the Japanese set's EMUs and DMUs with alternative livery. The most recent version Japanese Train Set v 2.1a is even better. There are more trains with even more alternative liveries to choose from. The first sampler is attached and I will post some shots of others soon.

The Japanese Set developers have provided a complete game environment with trees, buildings, signals and stations as well.

Domo Arigato gozaimashta Nihon Setu no guraffikku dezainazu.
Many thanks and congratulations to the Japanese set design team!
Attachments
Shinkansen series 2032.png
Shinkansen series 2032.png (126.28 KiB) Viewed 7517 times
Japan Set DMU-EMU sampler 1.png
(242.67 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

I think this shot and the ones above will give you a good idea of the variety of models and liveries available in the Japan set. If you want to make a complex map with different countries or districts, this set offers the widest choices. I use them to represent the subway and commuter rail lines on my Boston scenarios.

There are too many models and liveries to show in this way, and it would take a very long time to do them justice.

Happy Railroading.
Japan Set Sampler.png
Japan Set Sampler.png (48.98 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Fish Ships deserve mention because they are visually appealing and provide a variety of large capacity vessels.
this fast multi cargo ship is the Fiumelatte Paddle Steamer from Fish Ships version 0.9.2. The following screen shot shows the Stornoway Ferry and Kiyazma Hydrofoil.
from "Fish is Ships"
from "Fish is Ships"
Fish Ships, Paddle Steamer.png (39.85 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
Attachments
Fish SHips 2.png
Fish SHips 2.png (94.39 KiB) Viewed 7060 times
Arexander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arexander »

The Stornoway Ferry one is quite odd looking. Maybe you cropped it or something?
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

These shots are a great way of making the Sets and such recognised. Please keep up the good work.
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Arexander,
Thanks for your inquiry. No, I didn't distort or resize the Stornoway ferry. What you observe is the angle of the sprites used in order to give the image a 3-D look. You are right, the ship looks fatter and stubbier at this angle. The attached view of the ship depot line-up is how they look in horizontal orientation.

A321Pilot,
Thanks a lot. The people working on the GRFs put a lot of work into producing a pleasing addition to the game. They deserve thanks and exposure. I'm just trying to give back a little by promoting what has given me a lot of fun. And I don't mean to disparage or put down anyone who has not had work mentioned by me as yet.
Horizontal view
Horizontal view
Fish Ships 31-12-1970.png (22.14 KiB) Viewed 6895 times
Attachments
Some other Fish Ships<br />in horizontal view
Some other Fish Ships
in horizontal view
Fish Ships 01-01-1971.png (56.03 KiB) Viewed 6884 times
More of the Fish Ships collection
More of the Fish Ships collection
Fish Ships-modern1978.png (24.82 KiB) Viewed 6793 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

The Fish Ships GRFs are a great addition to the game. Many of these ships can be used early on [late 1800s] so they can be used in addition to the Sailing Ships GRFs. One of these, Island Trader [see attached], is faster and has a greater tonnage than the clippers. In this screen shot the Island Traders have replaced the clippers on the coal run.

This scenario focuses on Narragansett Bay, in New England, and the surrounding areas of Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
The attached scenario will be in two forms, the first has no GRFs. You can, if not using TTD 1.1.1 or later, use whatever GRFs you want, adjust the date, etc.
Attachments
Narragansett Bay in 1877.
Narragansett Bay in 1877.
Adams & Co., 01-07-1877.png (52.38 KiB) Viewed 6612 times
Narragansett Bay 1876 NG.scn
No GRFs loaded. Feel free to adjust the scenario to your taste.
(69.43 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Last edited by jmc47ott on 06 Jan 2012 00:42, edited 2 times in total.
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Here is the GRF list and the Narragansett Bay [Early R.I.] scenario with the listed GRFs loaded.
Attachments
Narragansett Bay GRFs.png
Narragansett Bay GRFs.png (74.24 KiB) Viewed 831 times
Early RI.scn
(69.35 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Last edited by jmc47ott on 02 Jan 2012 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

A screenshot of a Stephenson Rocket arriving at Providence, R.I. station in 1885. Note the Station used is the first stage of the Canadian Stations Set v 0.3d [or the old version of the set v 0.1 z for TTD Patch]. The later stage is concrete instead of red brick.
Attachments
Adams & Co., Providence1885s.png
Adams & Co., Providence1885s.png (166.44 KiB) Viewed 6552 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Adams & Co. announces the final conversion of all locomotives to the Campbell 4-4-0 "American."
All vehicles will bear the new Adams & Co. logo.

By 1900 these beautiful, but slow and difficult to man, tall ships begin to disappear from the harbors of New England and elsewhere. In the Mid-Twentieth Century, interest in them will revive, but they are never to regain dominance in commerce.

The Yankee Clipper has even disappeared from the Adams & Company logo. In 1900, the Adams logo will add the 6th and last star as Vermont, the last of the New England States, is added to it's expanding rail system.
Attachments
Adams & Co. adopts all 4-4-0 1888.png
Adams & Co. adopts all 4-4-0 1888.png (59.75 KiB) Viewed 6490 times
The Beautiful but slow tall ships have begun to be replaced in the<br />Narragansett ports.
The Beautiful but slow tall ships have begun to be replaced in the
Narragansett ports.
Adams & Co., Last Parade of the Tall Ships1899.png (132.76 KiB) Viewed 831 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

The north American Renewal [NARS] team has released a new version [v2.02] with a few cool modern HSTs

:arrow: The Costar Crocodile-tilt [fuel cell], available from 2027, with a max speed of 125, 253 KN, 6,000 hp.
:arrow: The Bombardier Acela [electric], available from 2001, with a max speed of 150 mph, 225 KN, 12,300 hp.
:arrow: The EMD F59 PHI [diesel], available from 1993, with a max speed of 110 mph*, 202 KN*, 3,000 hp {*refitable}.

The attached screen shot shows them in station and in depot.
NARS HSTs
NARS HSTs
TransAmerican Co., 12-07-2029 New HSTs.png (101.17 KiB) Viewed 6069 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

In addition to the HSTs there are some additional great additions, including some EMUs.
I am not sure how the Japanese EMU got into the picture, though, it's a long way from Osaka to Ottawa.
They are:
:arrow: Bombardier EMU [electric], available from 1989, 85 mph, 192KN, 2,000 hp
:arrow: Budd Metroliner [electric], available 2030, 125 mph, 342 KN, 7,200 hp
:arrow: ASEA/EMD AEM-7 [electric], available 2030, 125 mph, 240 KN, 7,000 hp
:arrow: Nippon Sharyo [electric], available from 2005, 80 mph, 242 KN, 3,000 hp

NARS EMUs
NARS EMUs
TransAmerican Co., 08-03-2031 New EMUs.png (150.07 KiB) Viewed 6048 times
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

jmc47ott wrote:The north American Renewal [NARS] team has released a new version [v2.02] with a few cool modern HSTs
The latest version of NARS is 2.03, and it was released two and a half years ago...

Not sure why you question the Japanese EMU, but not the Swedish locomotive. :)

Return to “Screenshots”