[OTTD] Screens by Valdez

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Valdez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [OTTD] Screens by Valdez

Post by Valdez »

Hah, thanks ^^

in the early 1860s, the traffic levels between Shipley Victoria and various cities on the south coast rose sharply, and severe congestion was the result - the worst situation was at Long Eaton and Nyetimber. To address this issue, considerable resources have been spent on new infrastructure and more powerful rolling stock. In order of appearance:
  • Quadrupling of Shipley Victoria - Long Eaton line - Once the alternate route between Victoria and Broadstairs via Burgess Hill has been inaugurated, the traffic level on the line was just insane - over 40 all-stop passenger trains, channelled down to a two-track line. Such development has been predicted, though, so appropriate preparations have been done well in advance - the track has been laid down relatively quickly, and the two extra viaducts north of Long Eaton have been already in place. The result is that Long Eaton to Shipley Victoria now has dedicated slow and fast lines
  • Expansion of Long Eaton station - The original station had mere 4 platforms, which was thought to be insufficient for the traffic levels expected on the planned quad track line. After the rebuild, it now boasts 6 mainline platforms (again with dedicated slow and fast platforms).
  • Track realignment south and west of Long Eaton - Closely tied to the station expansion, the original southern approach with ramps down and up nearby valley has been replaced with a pair of bridges, the same goes for the line diverging west. The only shortcoming so far is that there is no connection between the fast lines and the Burgess Hill line - not a problem now, since all traffic in that direction is all-stop. Sadly, original plans for complete quadruple track all the way to Bury had to be shelved for some time.
  • Major expansion of Bury station - since Bury is destined to become a major interchange, the original 2 platforms simply wouldn't do..
  • New line between Bury and Rayleigh via Bradford, built mainly to provide faster route between Shipley and Rayleigh than the currently used route via Nyetimber (reduction of congestion here would be a nice side effect)
  • Realignment of lines south of Bury - main goals here were easing some nasty curves and expanding station at Much Hoole
Now the screens:

#1 - The station at Much Hoole, post-rebuild

#2 - Nyetimber station, now reduced to size more appropriate to the new traffic levels

#3 - New station at Bury, post-rebuild. The secondary station is a part of the Bury-Much Hoole line realignment.
Attachments
GUR 019.png
GUR 019.png (282.9 KiB) Viewed 502 times
GUR 020.png
GUR 020.png (351.08 KiB) Viewed 502 times
GUR 021.png
GUR 021.png (208.33 KiB) Viewed 3261 times
My visits on the forums are sporadic only, so PMs may go unanswered for a long time. If you wish to report a bug etc., the best option is via DM or ping on r/Openttd Discord
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Good screenshots :D
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Valdez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Valdez »

Heh, thanks :D

Some more:

#1 - The coast off Altrincham is a busy place - lots of fishing grounds, and several major passenger ship routes..

#2 - Foxdale is a town just west of the capital, which means it was the first stop on the line out of Shipley Barbican - and one of stops on the brand new Shipley Underground line.

#3 - Rayleigh Central is the main station serving Rayleigh (the other one, Rayleigh Valley, serves eastbound traffic towards Huxley and Rochester). Unfortunately, its four platforms were woefully inadequate for the traffic levels (the station serves as a terminus of lines from Broadstairs and two Shipley termini) - an expansion program has been therefore proposed, to be started just after the last train leaves the station. The first platform has been already added.
Attachments
GUR 022.png
GUR 022.png (54.94 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
GUR 023.png
GUR 023.png (105.1 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
GUR 024.png
GUR 024.png (187.8 KiB) Viewed 500 times
My visits on the forums are sporadic only, so PMs may go unanswered for a long time. If you wish to report a bug etc., the best option is via DM or ping on r/Openttd Discord
Valdez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Valdez »

Okay, I haven't posted here for quite some time - the UKRS game is still ongoing (currently in mid-1880s), and I have a rather large screen backlog..

#1 - Rayleigh Central in its expanded form, now boasting 7 platforms as well as a reworked approach and rearranged carriage sidings. The pointwork here is ugly as hell, but hey - purpose justifies the means, neh? - And I might tidy things up a bit if I have a good enough reason to do so..

#2 - Gateshead, a fairly large town on the Shipley-Burgess Hill-Broadstairs line. The bay platform is used by trains serving the Gateshead-Atherton shuttle service. The long term plan here is to create a branch to Timbersbrook (as can be seen on the screen, I already made some plans to that end), extend the shuttle service there and convert the bay platform to a through one.

#3 - Another major bottleneck in the southeastern corner of the map, Newcastle is a major junction on the Shipley-Slough-Rayleigh line, with the lines to Huxley and Bury (via Stockton) starting here. Unfortunately, the bay platforms used by both these lines as well as the local trains to Rayleigh are situated on the eastern side of the station, which means lots of conflicting train movements. A major station redesign is therefore necessary - Bury and Rayleigh locals will get separate bay platforms on the western side of the station, the carriage sidings will be moved to more appropriate location and the southern junction will be redesigned.
Attachments
GUR 025.png
GUR 025.png (157.86 KiB) Viewed 499 times
GUR 026.png
GUR 026.png (77.69 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
GUR 027.png
GUR 027.png (153.05 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Valdez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Valdez »

#1 - The engine roster as of 1873, just in time to see first pair of brand new 0-6-0s enter service..

#2 - Yaxley, the largest city in the northeastern region, is currently served by three rail stations. Offscreen, Yaxley St.Andrews serves as a terminus for the line from Christchurch via St.Mary's and Dorchester, the Central station is a wayside station on the Yaxley-Louth-Royal Leamington Spa line as well as a terminus and a depot for the Yaxley Underground Railway. The main Yaxley station handles the rest of the trains - in addition to those from RLS, it is connected to mainlines from the west (from Sunderland and Quemerford) and the south (Saxondale).

#3 - Overall view of the area around Broadstairs, dated ca. 1876. Both of Broadstairs' termini can be seen here, the Old Street station serving the lines to Rayleigh and Shipley via Bury, while Highgate station is the terminus for the Darlington line via Atherton and line to Shipley Victoria via Burgess Hill (or, technically it can also serve Shipley Barbican, but the congestion there makes any such connection unlikely).
Attachments
GUR 028.png
GUR 028.png (3.28 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
GUR 029.png
GUR 029.png (180.88 KiB) Viewed 499 times
GUR 030.png
(154.52 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

As always, excellent screenshots :D
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Sabret00th
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sabret00th »

Beautiful.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Lovely stuff.
Valdez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Valdez »

Heh, thanks guys :)

#1 - Burgess Hill, originally just a minor wayside station with two platforms serving the Broadstairs Highgate - Shipley Victoria all-stop trains.. Until mid-1870s, when that service was replaced by separate Broadstairs Highgate-Burgess Hill and Shipley Victoria-Motherwell all-stoppers, as well as a semi-fast service connecting both termini and calling additionally at Cresswell and Burgess Hill. Burgess Hill station has been expanded accordingly, with three new bay platforms serving the new all-stoppers as well as the Cothill-Burgess Hill shuttle. A third through platform is planned, should it ever become necessary.

#2 - Not that far away, Bedford is a rather important station on the Shipley Barbican-Durham line, serving as a terminus to one of Shipley Underground's lines and also the terminus of the northern portion of Shipley Bypass line (planned to connect the towns on the northern fringes of Shipley, eventually going all the way to Urmston.. but, as of this moment, built only as far as Corby)

#3 - Speaking of Corby.. Another Shipley satellite town, another Underground terminus..
Attachments
GUR 031.png
GUR 031.png (89.03 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
GUR 032.png
GUR 032.png (87.48 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
GUR 033.png
GUR 033.png (98.75 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
Valdez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Valdez »

#1 - Silsden station now serves more than just Shipley Cromer Street trains - and as a result, the delays on the western approach to the station got out of hand. A modification is necessary to eliminate conflicting train movements..

#2 - like this. There are still some issues, though - the number of platforms is still low for the traffic levels (even with the island platform added during the 1860s), and the sidings and stabling sheds on the eastern end of the station are a mess..

#3 - Throwing place names around just like that is poor manners.. so here, have a map of the network in 1876.. Dark blue lines are in planning stages only..
Attachments
GUR 034.png
GUR 034.png (112.14 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
GUR 035.png
GUR 035.png (110.19 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
GUR 036.png
(112.43 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Valdez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Valdez »

Okay, I had several screens prepared in advance.. The problem was that they were "whole map" screens - and with 1024×1024 that means 200-ish MB PNG file (i.e. good luck actually opening it)..

So back to square one..For starters, some map sections ca. 1885. As you can see, the basic layout is more or less competed, with some filling-in to be done, especially in the Western and Northeastern sections..

Blue - Planning only
Brown - Defunct/Lifted

#1 - The Southeast
#2 - The Southwest
#3 - The Northeast
Attachments
GUR 037.png
(87.28 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
GUR 038.png
(107.51 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
GUR 039.png
(74.93 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by Valdez on 20 Jul 2014 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
Valdez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Valdez »

#1 - Rebuilt Bridgwater station on the Northwestern Main Line between Watford and Shipley Mayfair. The original station had just 3 platforms, one of which was a bay platform for terminating services from Timbersbrook. Now it has 7 (4 slow + 2 fast, yet to be provided with track + the bay platform), though the long-term plan is to drop the bay platform and run the Timbersbrook locals all the way to Watford.. Another thing worth mentioning is the 0-6-0 with a full rake of clerestory coaches.. The 0-6-0s are nominally freight engines, though they make a very good passenger locomotive any time a heavy load and good acceleration is required (and I have a fair number of them doing exacly that - maybe some 2/3rds of about 100 engines)

#2 - Hartshill, the largest town between Shipley and Wrrentnall on the Northern Main Line. Traffic here is heavy enough to require double-headed trains.

#3 - Same mainline, a bit closer to its Shipley terminus..
Attachments
GUR 040.png
GUR 040.png (111.13 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
GUR 041.png
GUR 041.png (123.01 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
GUR 042.png
GUR 042.png (100.58 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
Orffen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Orffen »

Very much enjoying the screens. Keep them coming! :)
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

More really good screens. Epic network, must have taken some building!
DarkUk
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DarkUk »

Dude your shots never fail to impress seriously good work!
Valdez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Valdez »

Haha.. Thanks, guys..

Currently I'm around the turn of the century with ~95% of the towns connected, and CargoDist starts to show its teeth :?

Even with modified UKRS2 the ~1000 trains I have just aren't enough.. Also, the sheer traffic levels mean I have a lot more of quadruple track lines than I previously used to (bigger stations than I used, too) - the end result is that I'm getting dragged down by property maintenance (something to the tune of 12M per year) - the only way I can expand is by turning the maintenance costs off from time to time..

Well, no more whining. Screenshot time!

#1 - Darlington, once a terminus of a short line from Broadstairs, later connected to another line frm Vowchurch. There is no through passenger traffic (nor ever was), Darlington merely serves as a transfer station - and that was the problem, since it originally had just three through platforms with two sets of sidings used for train turnarounds, which just couldn't handle the traffic generated by two sets of terminating passenger trains. The (considerable) freight traffic was just icing on the cake.

The rebuild largely repurposed already existing infrastructure, the only new addition are the two bay platforms along with adjacent station building. Both carriage sheds are still in situ, though the western one is currently unused.

#2 - Newton-le-Willow station, with two pairs of platforms serving each of the lines originating from Warley

#3 - Watford, another station shown after a significant rebuild, though this time consisting mostly of approach modification. One "fast" platform has been axed and the other assigned to "slow" lines, the fast lines now bypass the station completely just to the southwest of the screen area. The station building is a leftover from the very first station (which consisted of just the three bay platforms).

Also note the mail train - In my pre-CargoDist games I just slapped a mail coach or two to every passenger train I had. Not here - the passenger demand is high enough to necessitate passenger-only consists, also the weight of a fully-laden mail coach would have too big impact on the overall performance of the train in question. Having mail trains completely separated is just much more convenient (and any questions along the lines of "why bother at all" ended when this train became THE best earner on the network by a wide margin).
Attachments
GUR 043.png
GUR 043.png (152.88 KiB) Viewed 493 times
GUR 044.png
GUR 044.png (136.45 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
GUR 045.png
GUR 045.png (101.45 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
Last edited by Valdez on 26 Jul 2014 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Valdez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Valdez »

..continuing..

#1 - Crunch, the total death toll of the company since its inauguration just doubled. The tram is a leftover from the early 1800s (though the rolling stock changed considerably), and as such probably won't survive far in the 20th century.

#2 - Bury, the largest city on the lines from Shipley Victoria to Rayleigh and Broadstairs - and, as you can see, a major bottleneck. The station has been already modified three times, and it looks like a fourth attempt is needed. The flat junction on the eastern side is a particular weak spot - every time a Broadstairs-bound express heads to its destination, the entire eastern side is paralyzed. 42 trains call here and another ~20 pass through, although about 10 trains use the bay platforms (and thus don't interfere with the mainlines).

#3 - And since orudge has been kind enough to raise the file size limit, here's an overview of Shipley and its surroundings. Two thinds to note: Shipley Victoria is normally the busiest station on the entire map (~80 trains on 6 mainline and 2 Underground platforms), it is suspiciously devoid of heavy traffic - the reason can be seen at Bury. The other thing is the track cluster**** at Radcliffe - I started to modify the northern approach, got busy by other events and forgot about it.
Attachments
GUR 046.png
GUR 046.png (119.91 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
GUR 047.png
(261.25 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
GUR 048.png
(7.88 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Which trams are those that you're using?
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Valdez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Valdez »

These, mostly the early 0-4-0 VBT and the Fletcher 0-4-0, though I have some of the others here and there..

Also - screenshot time..

#1 - Turn of the century means new and more powerful engines. The first sign of the shape of things to came was the 0-6-0T, but the first true "new generation" engines are the Ivatt Atlantics - like this suburban tank engine on a trial run. Compared to the previously used 2-2-2s the 5 mph speed increase doesn't look big, but with the same load the C2 is capable of reaching its maximum speed fairly quickly (compared to the 2-2-2, for which the 60mph is just a theoretical value - most barely exceed 50 before having to slow down for the next station)

#2 - Another Atlantic runs through Taunton with blue mail coaches, somewhat hidden from the view.. This one's a prototype express tender engine on a Shipley-Silsden mail service

#3 - Speaking of the engine roster - here's the 1899 one. I originally had over 500 of the 2-2-2s, but the oldest ones in the southeast have been already replaced by the Jinties or Metropolitans once they became life-expired.
Attachments
GUR 049.png
GUR 049.png (106.2 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
GUR 050.png
GUR 050.png (107.5 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
GUR 051.png
GUR 051.png (4.9 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

That Shipley picture is just immense. Thanks for the tip on the mail trains - I have never really thought of separating until quite late in the game, but then I usually neglect mail far too much.

Return to “Screenshots”