[OTTD] Marshy's Screenshots

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Christopher
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Marshy's Screenshots

Post by Christopher »

You have a very nice network, with very clean and efficient trackwork!
I'd like to see the following areas:
Attachments
mapvf.png
mapvf.png (78.15 KiB) Viewed 681 times
Get Esperanto Town Names here! Also available on BaNaNaS!
Vi povas kuraci vian unulingvecon hodiaŭ per Esperanto!
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

The 313 can run either 3rd rail or overhead wires, that doesn't mean it needs both to run ;)
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Christopher, I'll get screens of those 3 areas up for you tonight :)

Ameecher....Makes sense, the 'Dual Power' option became available once this loco did, so I just built the new tracktype anyway. No worries though, it still looks pretty even with both :D

Cheers guys..
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Here you go Christopher :)

Marshy
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

3 year bump anyone? :)

So, yeah, I've not played in around 3 years, in fact I picked OTTD back up a couple of weeks ago and I've been spending my time learning what's new, what's been happening, and basically 're-educating' myself on OTTD. I'm still very rusty, I'm still yet to discover many GRFs and just have the basics for now, and this game I have recently started is literally one to get me back in the swing of things.

So you'll probably see some stuff that needs to be amended, in fact I've not even got around to re-learning to use reserved path signalling yet! This game is just a tester, getting the grip on things, I'm sure in the long run the screen will improve and so will my techniques of building, but for now, some screens and descriptions, enjoy! :)

FORT MUNINGBURY TRANSPORT.
Main GRFs that I'm using are the recent (fantastic) Swiss Trains set, as well as eGRVTS and multiple different station sets (plus NuTracks, first time using these).

The current layout is very basic, a local passenger route is served by two 'Churchill Arrow' RAe 4/8's, an express passenger service is also in play, hauled by a single Ae 3/5 'Little Sécheron', and finally a single oil service with a Ce6/8 II 'Crocodile'. We also have 3 goods vehicles hauling stock from the local refinery to Fort Muningbury.

1. Saburg, the newly built terminal which will in future years cater to many inbound passenger services. Currently an expansion to lines north east of this screen are in construction, which will introduce new passenger services. In the screen, Ae3/5 arrives at platform 2 with an express passenger service. Also noteworthy in this shot are the two currently unused Be4/6 units sitting with some old mail vans (likely to be scrapped in future years..) and also the by-passing oil line which will serve a 2nd service (once the city allows the construction of the station soon).

2. Fort Muningbury, where it all started. The same express service has reached the other end of it's journey, whilst below you can see our 'Crocodile' heading back to the wells with an empty tanker train. A trio of goods vans can also be seen connecting the refinery to the city and serving the good people with all sorts of oil based luxuries.

3. A duo shot of two stops on our local line, one of our Churchill Arrows can be seen between the two stops. Not much to add here, the farm will eventually be served by a service, but the distance to the nearest factory is quite extreme, so we'll be waiting until funds are higher and trains are more powerful and faster before this. A local bus route is planned also between these two towns, for those who prefer the alternative mode of transport.

4. The final shot for now, and my favourite of the bunch, it's the simple things isn't it? This is an interesting one, a few months in the past compared to the above 3, as Ae3/5 has now been replaced with a second Churchill Arrow for the local route, and now serves the express line below. It also appeared the 2-carriage EMU's were much more suitable, capacity-wise, for this route. Ae3/5 was just hauling half empty carriages half the time!

Hope you enjoy! (and apologies for the wall of text)
Steve
Dave

Post by Dave »

Welcome back sir!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Thank you sir!

More screens:

New Warnford, a small branch line has been extended north of Saburg as previously mentioned, this route does have a mainline further south running with it which is still under construction. Within the screen, a single Fe4/4 mail car is leaving the area with 3 passenger coaches. Also can be seen is the point to point cargo route which is home to a Eb3/5 Steam Loco, more on that later.

Further south of Warnford is the Saburg switchyard, in the middle of a junction? Why not! Fe4/4 rumbles by

A new goods express service has been added to the mainline, hauling oil produce from Fort Muningbury Refinery along to Saburg, a new Ae4/7 unit has been given this job.

The same unit can be seen here again, Just between Saburg and the switch yards nearby.

This screen shows Fe4/4 again, arriving into Charnley. Charnley council are a bunch of...I'll resist..as they won't allow me to remove a single road tile to allow for a dual station, so for now I make do with a single platform. Also, recall that Crocodile at Saburg sidings with the oil wagons? Well, funny story, the station south of Charnley is no longer in use as the oil wells chose the right time to close...between me building the station and the train heading towards it for the first time, typical!!

This game is a bit of a head scratcher really, sure I'm enjoying it but it's becoming more apparent that Swiss trains with a flat long map and default town names don't really go well together, plus there are a list of GRFs that I'm still without, including different roads and town sets. But I'm making do, it may be unrealistic and an off-putter but hey ho if it's keeping my interest then I shall continue with it!

Thanks for looking!
Steve
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Marshy wrote:2.
Further south of Warnford is the Saburg switchyard, in the middle of a junction? Why not! Fe4/4 rumbles by
I love this!
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Beautifully made screenshots, Marshy :D
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

#3 would be my personal favorite, I think.

And I'm always in favor of people who care about properly connecting stuff with roads ;)
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Pyoro, thanks, yes I'm always looking to add somesort of realism to my games, and linking up everything with roads including the different industrial station tiles will always be a part of my focus. Also, I've discovered an awesome fence piece that was included in the Dutch stations set, which allows for 'fencing off' yards, as seen in #3, having A LOT of fun seeing what I can create :).
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Moar!

OK so the above game was taken back a few steps and started again, this time with Swiss town names and TTRS, as the original roads / buildings weren't doing it for me.

Littau Transport.
Ostermundigan, a quiet town in the west of the map, a local Fe4/4 takes passengers to and from on a local branch line. The secondary line bypassing the town is used by a coal train, ending at the mines slightly off the screen.

Yverdon-les-Blains, trucks rumble through this town stocked with wood, heading to the central sawmill in the north-east. Another branch line runs past this town and joins the main line above, Fe4/4 is seen again heading north to the main terminus in Sursee, one of the 3 coal trains passes heading south.

Lenzburg, one of my favourite parts of the current network. One of the express locos can be seen leaving the station due south headed by a Ae3/5, a small bypass route cuts through the loco sidings for a couple of coal trains.

The terminus station at Littau, where the transport company was founded. The station is seperated into two sections, local and express.

Finally slightly north of Littau is Muttenz, where the local service branches off the mainline and visits a few smaller towns. Muttenz is perched on a small hill, with buses and more wood lorries rumbling by. (note - this station will be redesigned soon, to 'merge' into the town using none track tiles etc).

Thanks,
Steve
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane

Post by te_lanus »

Looks way better than anything I build :D
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Looks good but you've got your trains running on the left making your signals look odd!

Edit: If you're using PBS on passing loops you don't need to protect the entrance to the loop with a standard signal. In fact, that'll just block the system up as it'll allow a train right up to that signal blocking a train going in the opposite direction.
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Cheers! RE the signals, I think I used a recommended setting from the user guide for the Swiss set, which said trains run on the left with signals on the left side of the tracks!

RE the passing loop, if I'm honest I still don't really know what each of the singal types actually do...I'm just guessing really and seeing what works. You mean the first signal after a junction doesnt need to be there, as it will allow a train to wait 'across' a junction?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Exactly. PBS reserves path only in front, not behind the train, so you don't need to "cut off" paths behind it. As a rule of thumb, you'll only want PBS signals at points where you want trains to STOP. You don't want them to stop at the start of a passing line, as it'd block the train going the other way, as you correctly observed. ;)
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Thanks, I'll have a play around with it tonight, as if I'm honest the signal types seem to be different since last time playing, If I recall correctly I used to place the signals and as soon as train entered the sector they all automatically converted to the correct signal type, unless I'm missing something (which wouldn't suprise me).

Thanks for the advice though, getting less rusty by the day :).

EDIT: Think a re-read of the signals wiki page is in order!
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Zofingen & Frauenfeld:

dandan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by dandan »

Great screenshots. I'm very happy to see the SBB Set put to such good use here.

As for the semaphores on the "wrong" side. I know it looks a bit wonky, but it was apparently very common in Switzerland:

http://bern-1914.org/1914_administrativ ... 3_sbb.html
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Thanks dandan, really enjoying this set!

More screens!

An old vs new comparison in Zofingen, as a newly built RAe TEE II awaits a green signal as an inbound RAM TEE arrives.

The same RAe TEE II is shown here, rolling through the hills on a newly built high speed section of track.

Neuhausen am Rheinfall, in the centre of an important 3 way junction within the network. Our RAe TEE II can be seen in the top left appearing from the tunnel, meanwhile leaving Neuhausen is a newly built Ae 6/6 Kantonslok, hauling EW I passenger coaches.

The single line braching off in the above screen out of Neuhausen leads here, Agen & Winterthur. The Churchill Arrows are still very much alive on the network, even with the introduction of the TEE E/DMU services. These small point to point lines are perfect for the Churchills.

At the foot of the network and the map, our main line branches off to multiple stations. There is just one passenger service here, hauled by a BDe 4/4 motor coach. Also seen in this screen, down the hill from Ulster, is a Be 4/6 hauling the newer, larger open wagons. All of the other coal trains still haul the older, smaller capacity trucks, which will soon be replaced with their larger counterparts.

The central and busiest junction of the network, north of Arbon and south of Sursee. The 3 passenger services in the screen all look very much the same, but they are all different. The service heading south to Arbon is headed by an Ae3/5, and was the first passenger service built. The service heading into Sursee under the bridge is an Re 4/41, on push-pull duty, whilst finally an Ae6/6 appears from the tunnel in the top-left.

Finally the obligatory network map so far, I've almost reached the halfway point of the map in expanding north.

Return to “Screenshots”