[W.I.P.] The Food-Mod Final Version

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

[W.I.P.] The Food-Mod Final Version

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

Hello people ! I'm working on a second (more realistic) version of the Food Mod. This is V2.0:

There will be a number of changes when compared to the first version, I will reveal more about that later because testing is still in prgress. I can tell this however.

The new version will have 4 new cargo's: Chicken, Eggs, Leather and Manure. The Fertilizer-cycle is reworked, because I felt that fertilizer was produced via a non-realistic way. At first fertilizer was just produced out of oil, but that can't be done in the real world. First you deliver oil tot he refinery where goods and chemicals are produced, then the chemicals are delivered at the new Fertilizer-plant. It will need manure, forage or chemicals to produce the needed fertilizer. I could have made it that it needs all three cargo's but since fertilizer is needed too for the grain/grapesfarms (wich will eventualy produce the forage at the brewery and food factory) I made it use each type of cargo to produce the fertilizer.

A new industry comes wih this version as well. A poultry-farm where grain must be delivered to produce chickens and eggs. The chickens can be delivered at the slaughterhouse for meat and the eggs can be delivered in town at the mall and supermarkets. Manure is now produced at one single (stable-like) city-building which I place in the surroundings of the poultry, livestock and sheepfarms. It's just too bad that these farms can't produce manure by themselves because each industry can only produce 2 types of cargo instead of three. However, the grain/grapefarms will also accept manure as well as fertilizer.

Leather is produced at the slaughterhouse and can be delivered at the clothingfactory. I dropped the cottonfarm for the mod because of industry- and cargo-limits ! The cotton-farm will remain in the valuables-mod Final version...

With the new industries needed for the food-mod it is due to the number of needed cargo's no longer possible to combine the foodmod with the valuables-mod.

What's the Food-Mod ?

Like most of you people know by now, it's an extension of the already existing food-cyclus in the game. This is a food mod which will have a few new cargo's and industries in it.

There will also be a new GRAIN.dat, FOOD.dat, LIVESTCK.dat and GRAPES.dat in it (so the old ones will be overwritten, but that's optional), because of the high decall rates in the old files for food and beverages. I always prefer to make long runs with my trains, transporting food and beverages from one side of the map to the other side. The payrates for this kind of cargo is very low because the food might get spoiled if it's being transported or stored for too long. In the present day our food and beverages has a much longer best-before date because it's processed through pasteurization or preservation.

To play this mod in all of it's glory, you must also select the oil-wells and the new refinery otherwise most of the cargo cannot be produced...Or you can choose their city-version counterparts if you want to leave more spots open for other industries. These city-industry counterparts will be included in the download. These include the Flourmills, Oilwells (made by me) and the Coal and Iron Ore Mines (made by Digidampfman and used with his permission).

A few 'new city-buildings' will accept wool, milk, meat, drinks and clothing as well. I probably turn some buildings into a supermarket (wich will accept clothing, food, meat, drinks and milk), a butcher (wich accepts meat and produces waste) a clothing-store (wich accepts clothing) and a church (wich is also the salvation army where clothing, meat, food and drinks can be delivered). Also some of the offices will be converted to accept paper, drinks and foods. Via this way these new cargo's can also be delivered in the city as well and not just to the industrie-buildings. Also...2 versions of the Flourmill that can be used as a city-building are now included. They both produce (a little amount) Food and Mail, and they accept Mail and (the maximum amount) Grain. One can be build by the city (and destroyed as well), the other one (marked as "ID" in the buildings name) can only be build in the editor and is InDestructable.

Food Mod City-Buildings

Have fun with it !

Regards,

Erik

The download:
Food Mod V1.0.rar
(2.42 MiB) Downloaded 900 times
The Scenario:
A new scenario will be released with the V2.0 version of the mod...

Here are some test-reviews for the first version of the Food-Mod:

Test-review by Greyfox:
Greyfox wrote:Hello everybody,

Once again, I have been asked to test one of Emperor Darth Sidious's mods. In this case, "A new Food Mod". My report is as follows:

When I first opened the scenario, I had a good look round the map, and I could see straight away that there was a lot of work to do. The goal is to deliver 500,000 tons of food in 100 years.
I'm not going to explain how I started as I don't want to give to much away. It's up to the player to find out for themselves. The player will need, as usual, a route to start accumulating the money so as to build elsewhere. To those of you that are familiar with the Peninsular map should know that very long lines are required to achieve the goal that has been set. This gives the player the opportunity to design a nice looking network. So carefull planning is essential.

I found the mod very interesting and absorbing to play, which is enhanced by the new resources that have to be acquired. So if you have the time you will enjoy this map. (the Long Station Patch, LSP, is highly recommended), in fact it really is essential. There's no aircraft used in this scenario, so there won't be any problems with the LSP.

In summing up, I would highly recommend this scenario, as difficult as it may be. It is worth the download. EDS has put a lot of time and effort into this mod, as most of us know, he always does. So if you are looking for long game play, this is it.

My rating: 9/10.

btw: don't forget to backup your ObjData folder.

Happy shunting,

Greyfox.
Test-Review by lsbc:
lsbc wrote:Howdy all,

I also tested this mod, however not having the long station mod installed it took a 2nd try to get going. The oil needed was my downfall on 1st attempt along with having a similiar mod of my own made the requirements confusing at first. On my second try I added a few of my own vehicles (it didn't change the game play but made it easier for me since I knew which vehicles were hauling what cargo and could see at a glance what was where etc.). Long hauls are the norm and good planning is a must. The graphix are great and the challenge was too. I can see a few very minor problems with the game play. With plant and animal type industries requiring cargo to start producing it means you options for start points is limited.

Overall the mod is great the long hauls made for slow start but once production got going the game play improved dramatically.

Overall Mod rating 9/10
Mod in scenario rating 8/10
Graphics rating 9/10
Ease of install 9/10 ( don't like auto installs manual installs prefered by me
Will I recommend it.............ABSOLUTELY
Test-Review by Sir BNSF
Sir BNSF wrote:This review is long overdue so I better get right to it. When you first load up the map you need to decide where you're going to start your massive rail network. There's few places to start and I admit that the first time I tried I started at an industry that didn't produce anything. My bad! :lol: But once you get started it's loads of fun and a great challenge (Especially for me since I like to play Locomotion for the gameplay and tend to start myself off with a ridiculous amount of money). The LSP as always is a must and adding in plenty of vehicles from the North American Megapack made it that much funner. The industries themselves are well thought out and cargo flows smoothly from one industry to the next. There's a few industries that will obviously drain your bank account to connect to the main line (Oil almost rendered me bankrupt) but once these lines are filled with trains and the flow of traffic starts getting going it all works out fine.

It's a great mod and I can see myself using it in many of my scenarios in the future. EDS has done an amazing job on this one and I'd recommend it to anyone who plays Locomotion and wants a good challenge.

I give the mod a solid 9.5/10

Outstanding work EDS!
:bow:
Last edited by Emperor Darth Sidious on 10 May 2017 11:13, edited 51 times in total.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: More extensive food cycle

Post by NekoMaster »

Sounds like a great idea man, if you need help testing I have tons of time... not much work up here in Ontario.... TT^TT I like testing new things and I can report any bugs I find
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
montanna.27
Engineer
Engineer

Post by montanna.27 »

yeah sounds really cool id love to help do some testing aswell!!
have you danced with the devil in the pale moon light
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

I only need one or two testers, one of them is Greyfox with who I also have personal contact via e-mail. Since NekoMaster was first I will ask him for now to test the mod. NekoMaster, can you please give me your e-mail adres (in a PM) so I can send it to you...

One thing that you might like...The cargo's are cargo's that are already used ID-numbers, so you don't need new vehicles and people can play with this mod using standard (company colored) vehicles. I noticed in another post that you like to play with company colors. For people who like to play with real-life vehicles this is also nice because these vehicles don't need to be converted to use the mod.

If I have your e-mail adress I will send a beta-version of the mod to both you and Greyfox...

Mod is almost finished !

So far,

Regards,

Erik
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

I'm getting sick and tired of the high decall rates for food and beverages. I always make long runs, transporting food and beverages from one side of the map to the other side. The payrates for this kind of cargo is very low because the food might get spoiled if it's being transported or stored for too long. In the present day our food and beverages has a much longer holding-date because of pasteurization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization

In the food-mod pasteurized food and beverages will come as included cargo. Call it cheating if you like...but I don't think it's cheating. I think it's more realistic. I just delivered 375 tons of grapes in only 40 days and I didn't get any income for it. The days are much shorter in the game and food is spoiled after several days (I think it's 5 days or so in game-time, so you have like 5 or 10 minutes to deliver all of the food and beverage to the other side of the map), so that's why I use pasteurized food and beverages to get at least paid some money for my efforts. By the way...I did not change the payrates for it. I only extended the best before date through pasteurization :mrgreen:

In this mod the pasteurization applies to: Food, Milk, Drinks, Meat, Forage, Grapes, Grain, Livestock, and Sheep. Mind that when you use the pasteurized food and beverage that the original food, grapes, grain and livestock is overwritten, so make a back-up of those !

This pasteurized food will be included in the mod, but of course if you wan't to play the game in the regular way that is possible as well. So both types will be included. Will you play with normal food and beverages and don't make any income for your hard work, or will you play with pasteurized food and beverages and recieve some income after all....It's all up to you !
Last edited by Emperor Darth Sidious on 06 Jun 2013 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Is it possible to have a refrigerated boxcar\reefer to transport normal food? It could also carry pasteurized food as even that will go bad eventually in hot weather
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

What do you mean by that ? The cargo's that mostly are transported in the game already apply to food and grapes. They both have ID number 9. And in the most modded vehicles food and grapes can be transported with them...Most of the new cargo's in this mod have the same ID numbers as food and grapes like meat and milk, as they are transported in barrels in this mod.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

What I meant is, is it possible to have refrigerated boxcars/reefers that slow down the rate of decay so that cargo keeps more of its value?

Could also be possible that some foods will need to be transported in a specific car.
lsbc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lsbc »

Wouldn't just changing the dat name and internal name change to P-foods, P-grapes, etc, solve the issue of overwriting original food grapes etc.? The id number is used basically to assign what type of vehicles can haul it. On the downside of this you;d have to edit the farm vineyard etc.
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

@Nekomaster, I don't think that it's possible to slow down the rate of decay via the refrigerated boxcars. It's in the code of all of the above food and beverages where the decallrate must be changed. This is because you can change a vehicle in every way possible. For example, you can make a flatbedcar which can transport steel or paper transport grain just by changing the xml.code. So it has nothing to do with a decallrate because these are implanted in the cargo itself...

@lsbc, it's not a bad idea about changing the names of the cargo's (it's still is a lot of work). But it's the same as with changing the payrates. I believe Cheyyrider once changed the code for all of the cargo's. With these cargo's it's possible to recieve more money for the delivery of these cargo's and he made that available for download. He also said that it would be a wise decission to make a back-up of all of the original cargo's. So it's all a matter of choice. I also did this with the cargo's in my valuables mod. I changed the payrates, because in previous versions of this mod people thought that the payrates of the cargo's where very low...

So I gave the people who downloaded the mod the choice of using high paying cargo's or normal paying cargo's. The same goes for the food-mod. People who download this mod can choose if they use normal food which decalls very fast, or to install the 'pasteurized' versions of the food and beverages and at least make some money out of hauling food and beverages...So for now I leave it as it is, after all it's only 4 types of original cargo's that will be overwritten and nothing changes (except for the fact that you will earn more money, and how bad can that be) :mrgreen:
Walter1940
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Walter1940 »

Emperor Darth Sidious wrote:I'm getting sick and tired of the high decall rates for food and beverages. I always make long runs, transporting food and beverages from one side of the map to the other side. The payrates for this kind of cargo is very low because the food might get spoiled if it's being transported or stored for too long. In the present day our food and beverages has a much longer holding-date because of pasteurization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization

In the food-mod pasteurized food and beverages will come as included cargo. Call it cheating if you like...but I don't think it's cheating. I think it's more realistic. I just delivered 375 tons of grapes in only 40 days and I didn't get any income for it. The days are much shorter in the game and food is spoiled after several days (I think it's 5 days or so in game-time, so you have like 5 or 10 minutes to deliver all of the food and beverage to the other side of the map), so that's why I use pasteurized food and beverages to get at least paid some money for my efforts. By the way...I did not change the payrates for it. I only extended the best before date through pasteurization :mrgreen:

In this mod the pasteurization applies to: Food, Milk, Drinks, Meat, Forage, Grapes, Grain, Livestock, and Sheep. Mind that when you use the pasteurized food and beverage that the original food, grapes, grain and livestock is overwritten, so make a back-up of those !

This pasteurized food will be included in the mod, but of course if you wan't to play the game in the regular way that is possible as well. So both types will be included. Will you play with normal food and beverages and don't make any income for your hard work, or will you play with pasteurized food and beverages and recieve some income after all....It's all up to you !
Beer is not pasteurized. Many other foods are not pasteurized.
Therefore, the mod is now unrealistic.
http://www.walter1940.de
Vehicles for Locomotion

Tutorials in english
- From MSTS to Locomotion ---> http://www.walter1940.de/tutorial/msts2loco/
- Wally ---> http://www.walter1940.de/tutorial/wally/
- xml-modding ---> http://www.walter1940.de/tutorial/xml-modding/
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Walter1940 wrote:Therefore, the mod is now unrealistic.
Not quite...

It's not all pasteurized, I just call it pasteurization but I can also call it extension of the best before date. It's in real life also that food has longer best before dates, but some drinks, like milk and wine are pasteurized...Meat can be held longer through some processes, but I never seen that grain is expired after 10 days. So in a way the mod is still realistic. If you deliver food and beverages in real life you get paid for that transport as well. And since when is Locomotion a realistic game :mrgreen:
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Could just call it "Preserved" or "Processed" Food, Processed would be more likely seeing as a lot of food now a days is processed. Makes me wonder how much our food is food vs chemicals
Loconoob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Loconoob »

Just for pondering sake, everything is chemicals, and so are me and you :lol: Anyways... this sounds like a good mod. How many of the industries were using new buildings? I ask this because I find people usually either make really good looking buildings, or really bad plastic looking things ( I think because of the transferring paint format and coloring ). There isn't usually an in-between found there. Also Walter1940, yes beer isn't pasteurized, but that's because it already has some properties of extended shelf life, i.e. that's why they created fermented stuff, because it lasted longer when refrigeration didn't exist.
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Now that the valuables mod is released this mod has my full attention again...The industry buildings are not new. They are converted industries from the original game and some are mixed buildings put together (like the grain and grapes farm, slaughterhouse and papermill)

I think that the processed food is not a bad idea, but indeed a few (original) files are overwritten...However this is all up to the player. At least it's important as always to make a back-up. I still need a test-player (Greyfox is the other one) before I will release this one, and it still needs a little fine tuning. I also noticed that you (Loconoob) did quite some nice scenario's...Maybe you can develop a nice scenario for the mod that can be released with it, as creating scenario's is realy not my kind of thing. Believe me I have tried many times but it's realy time-consuming and with a wife and two kids time is working against me at the moment :mrgreen: If I can't find a new scenario I probably use Greyfox his Hunger Pains scenario for it. Played it and it's very nice, but it needs a little work as well.

So I need a little more time for this mod, but I hope to release it very soon...

Regards,

EDS
Loconoob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Loconoob »

Hahaha... :mrgreen: I replied to you on your other mod's thread asking the same thing ( if I could use your mod in one of my next releases ) but that was right before I came to look at this thread again... yes that would totally be a good idea, but it may be quite awhile before I release my next scenario ( Portland/ Vancouver ), mostly because I can't resume work on it til I fly back to Phoenix for the school year... but I will try my very best--quality not forsaken :D Also if there are any different scenario ideas you would prefer me to create, I'm down!
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

I'm not sure yet about a scenario for this mod. Maybe I'll ask Zimmlock's permission to use one of his maps to include for this mod. People always liked Zimmlock's Industry River (me as well). I'm realy into creating new mods, but I'm a realy bad scenario-creator (it must be a gift :lol: )...So I just wait with what you can come up with...I haven't been able to play one of your maps as of yet because I've been busy with both mods and haven't realy had the time to play around...

So I now finish this mod first and maybe if you create a nice map for it I can use it for this mod. I also asked for a test player a few posts back...So if you want to be the test-player and try to do something with the mod in your new map than that's alright with me. Please let me know about that.

Regards,

EDS
Loconoob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Loconoob »

but I'm a realy bad scenario-creator (it must be a gift :lol: )
Haha, that's a really crappy gift to give somebody :lol: I'm becoming slightly confused, as I am replying about the same thing, in a way, on both mod's threads. As you know, I can't play Lomo until around August 1st, so I wouldn't want to make you wait on my map making, or feedback via the beta testing. In short, I can't test because I can't play anytime soon, but I appreciate the opportunity! :wink: As for the map, I'll work on it, and maybe sometime down the road, you can have me put this, or a newer mod to test/ release in my scenario?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I only make simple mostly flat scenarios with rough mountains. Doubt anyone wants something that easy and simple (I dont mind it but Im lazy)
Loconoob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Loconoob »

I'm crap with the hand making of the terrain! I cheat with height maps, and then do stuff. I wish their were a way to take a flat map, make rough, pointy, unrealistic mountains in certain areas, then convert it to a .bmp, where you can then smooth out/alter the image via some photo editing program. I don't see how it couldn't be done , it would just be reverse version of the Mapgen program...

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”