[WIP]Freight Cars for Tram Track

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

natethegreat
Engineer
Engineer

[WIP]Freight Cars for Tram Track

Post by natethegreat »

Attached is two zip files, one with freight & pass cars modded for tram track, and the other with steam engines modded for tram track. The statas have not been changed. It wasn't all that hard. Later in the week I will post a more carefully edited collection with the availibility and speed changed to suit myself.

P.S. Also in the .ZIPs are brief .TXT files showing the difference between the .XML files of ST and trams.
Attachments
Freight Tramcars.zip
(592.72 KiB) Downloaded 629 times
Tram Engines.zip
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 659 times
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
GurraJG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GurraJG »

Sounds interesting. Any screenshots?
PennCentral
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PennCentral »

Good stuff. Now we just need some steeples and boxcabs to pull them :wink:

DT&I forever!!!! :)
Visscher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Visscher »

It doesnt work, I cant load chemicals at a tram station, not even if i put a cargo bay at the same station. Trams cant get to the cargo bay, so they cant load chems (or what so ever). A solution would be to let the tramtrack accept cargo bays, and the cargo bay accept tram track. Or you can try to make the passenger stop accept freight.
Arael
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arael »

You do realize that the latter solution would involve massive dumping of mail on every bus stop, right?
- So, here's this train full of illegal alcohol. I stamp here, and all the alcohol magically evaporates, leaving pure mineral water...
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

PennCentral wrote:Good stuff. Now we just need some steeples and boxcabs to pull them :wink:

We have those now in TTDP, I should know... I drew them ;) Now we just need ELRails support on the street trackage :P

If I could actually get a PC that'll run Loco reliably, I may actually attempt to learn 3d modeling for this game.
natethegreat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by natethegreat »

Visscher wrote:It doesnt work, I cant load chemicals at a tram station, not even if i put a cargo bay at the same station. Trams cant get to the cargo bay, so they cant load chems (or what so ever).
I'm sorry. I had not tested it that far because I don't play Locomotion much anymore. I will look into it. Try putting a train station next to the tram stop. That might fool it.
Visscher wrote:A solution would be to let the tramtrack accept cargo bays, and the cargo bay accept tram track.
I have tried to do that several different ways. I am not sure that it is possible.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
natethegreat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by natethegreat »

PennCentral wrote:Good stuff. Now we just need some steeples and boxcabs to pull them :wink:
Several steeple cabs locos are already in the game as narrow guage engines. They just need to be moved over. I do agree that a boxcab (or six) would be nice.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

natethegreat wrote:
Several steeple cabs locos are already in the game as narrow guage engines. They just need to be moved over. I do agree that a boxcab (or six) would be nice.
Well what i know, no steeple cabs in stock Locomotion..
natethegreat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by natethegreat »

Akalamanaia wrote: Well what i know, no steeple cabs in stock Locomotion..
No, I was wrong. I was thinking of the Ae4/7, Ce6/8, or the HGe 4/4. They aren't really steeples.

Any way, I figured out a way to get a freight tram to stop at a passenger stop. Add a one square train station next to it. Then add a passenger car to the train. I can't post pictures right now, but this did work.
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Personally i think this could be quite 'useless'... the tram is essentially a Mass-Transit system - good for - say - airport -> city centre... maybe an idea would be to develop new trucks, maybe artic units?

The other thing is that if u link up all the tracks, you could end up with one heck of a mess of transit systems.... much like with trains!

Thats my thoughts. Sorry if it offends - was just an idea...
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

andel, it would be very useful early on between 1900-1930 (when this sort of thing was done IRL anyway) as the trucks of the time are pretty useless at moving any real quantity of cargo.

Of course, for it to be truly useful we'd need some kind of connection between tram and NG track (so two NG tracks come together and connect up to tram tracks) or better yet, the ability to run SG tracks down roads (as was common practice at the time)

If you don't like it, you don't have to download it!
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

I looked up the possibility of enabling of making SG, and NG tracks on roads, i can definately say it is impossible.

a Single NG track connecting to a Tram track will not work either, as a Tram track is a road, NG rails are Track, and as far as i can see, you cannot make a road where you can only use 1 side of the road.
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

metalangel wrote:andel, it would be very useful early on between 1900-1930 (when this sort of thing was done IRL anyway) as the trucks of the time are pretty useless at moving any real quantity of cargo.
But isn't part of the realism of the game the fact everything was slow in the old days (IE: Pre-windows/ttdlx!!)?? I'm just throwing my tuppence into the discussion with some thoughts etc.
metalangel wrote:If you don't like it, you don't have to download it!
T'is true, t'is true!
Andel
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

Yeah, but I see the freight trams as being extremely useful... not because if you're starting in 1910 you won't have a huge network to support lots of building (so you get dual use out of your tram network) but it also means you can carry more cargo than the trucks (even if not THAT much faster).
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

I had one thought.... if Someone can 3D design just a basic truck trailer, I don't mind spending a couple of hours editing some trucks in order for them to become articulated... Failing that, I could edit the tanker trailer...

I 100% get what you mean by what you said though.

The road train topic seems to be interestin for the modern day - i wonder if u can re-create the trailers for the past...?
Andel
[/size]
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Well so far i haven't been able to make new trailers to work, heck i just recompile the existing tanker trailer, and it doesn't work anymore.
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

it just seems to be a coupling, cargo and compatabilty thing... I mean - I've made my combi tram couple with the combi tram, which is great for towns with high passenger numbers :D...

OK - I'll have a go in a bit :)

Does anyone want my 'slightly' moddified 75mph 200 people coupling tram?
Andel
[/size]
natethegreat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by natethegreat »

Akalamanaia wrote:Well so far i haven't been able to make new trailers to work, heck i just recompile the existing tanker trailer, and it doesn't work anymore.
I would recommend installing a second copy of loco just to get the .DAT files, then deleting it. As far as I know, there are two lines in the .XML that are important here. One is in the 'flags' section, 'cancouple', and should be set to one. The other is a compatability statement, located after the cargo, and it needs to contain the file name of another vehicle. The truck needs to refer to the trailer. The trailer needs to refer to both the truck and itself(if you want to create really long ones).
metalangel wrote:Yeah, but I see the freight trams as being extremely useful... not because if you're starting in 1910 you won't have a huge network to support lots of building (so you get dual use out of your tram network) but it also means you can carry more cargo than the trucks (even if not THAT much faster).
I was planning on having the larger cars become available in the late thirties, early forties. Before that, the only available cars will be the smaller, formerly narrow guage cars. Most have a speed limit of 40 MPH.

I am also thinking about editing the top speed of the larger curve track. I think 35 MPH would be okay. Any opinions?
Visscher wrote:It doesnt work, I cant load chemicals at a tram station, not even if i put a cargo bay at the same station.
The short term solution involves a passenger car on the train, and a road cargo depot next to whatever station you are using. The good news is that the freight tram can wait for a full load at the passenger stop.

The long term solution involves giving the locomotive a cargo capacity of either one or zero passengers. This will let a freight tram stop at a passenger only stop. You still need that cargo depot, though.
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

natethegreat wrote:
Akalamanaia wrote:Well so far i haven't been able to make new trailers to work, heck i just recompile the existing tanker trailer, and it doesn't work anymore.
I would recommend installing a second copy of loco just to get the .DAT files, then deleting it. As far as I know, there are two lines in the .XML that are important here. One is in the 'flags' section, 'cancouple', and should be set to one. The other is a compatability statement, located after the cargo, and it needs to contain the file name of another vehicle. The truck needs to refer to the trailer. The trailer needs to refer to both the truck and itself(if you want to create really long ones).
Ahhh the old addage of backing up... i'm playing with this idea at the moment.... yes, I'm backed up ;)
natethegreat wrote:
I am also thinking about editing the top speed of the larger curve track. I think 35 MPH would be okay. Any opinions?
When will it be done?!
Andel
[/size]

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”