[REL] London Underground Tube Trains

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Barry
Engineer
Engineer

[REL] London Underground Tube Trains

Post by Barry »

Well, after many delays, here's the first proper release of the tube trains pack :-)

Many thanks for all the help I've had, specifically from MajorDuck, Matloughe and Seelenquell. Apologies if I've missed anyone from the list.

Notes:
I've only covered the 1959 and 1967 tube stocks in this pack. The 1962 stock was a virtual copy of the 1959 and the 1972 was so similar to the 1967 that I don't think you could reproduce the differences in locomotion.

btw, if anyone feels they could improve the graphics, please get in touch.

Enjoy :-)

EDIT - 9th May 2006
These trains are now available in the BR Set (version 4.1), which can be found at the following location: http://www.amitrains.co.uk/
Attachments
LU_Tube_Trains_v1.zip
(453.25 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
Last edited by Barry on 09 May 2006 12:35, edited 2 times in total.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

you should model in more details, windows, doors...
Barry
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Barry »

Sorry - I should have said that these were very basic models. I had only intended them to be a basis for further work, but I didn't make this very clear in the OP.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

There must be something very wrong if that didn't come through, Barry.
tubechallenger
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by tubechallenger »

Old thread, I know (well not that old)...

I can provide pictures of any LU unit currently in operation from my photo gallery, so any pictures needed of LU units, ye can come here!

The 67 and 72TS are virtually the same though (only difference is automatic train operation)...
chevyrider
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by chevyrider »

They look more like some luxury breads from our backery. ?(
-
-
39 years experience with trains and still driving.
-
-
Barry
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Barry »

@Hyronymus
Thanks for the moral support.

@DavidJ
Thanks for the offer of photos. If you have any shots that would help me to work out the size and placement of details such as windows and doors, I'd really appreciate it.
As for the differences between the 67 and 72, I was thinking along the lines of making the 67 more expensive to buy (to account for the OPO/ATO equipment), but slightly cheaper to run (only has one crew member).

TBH, I don't know when (if) I'm going to do any more with these - my monitor has broken, so I'm waiting for a replacement.
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

chevyrider wrote:They look more like some luxury breads from our backery. ?(
If your bread is that colour still in the bakery, the baker needs to bake more often! :lol:
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
Matloughe
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Matloughe »

these are a really good starting point, i like you have taken into account the technical differences between these Tube Stocks, i.e ATO.

I am extremely interested in seeing this project completed, it might spur me onto creating that London Underground Map i have been putting off... lol.

Carry on the good work.
WIP ~ BR Set with Andel, MajorDuck, Illegal Alien, Barry Keats & Johnnie 47
ImageImage
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

dammit does this mean i gotta resume my conversions from msts of my LU stuff?!... ok - the conversions i have been trying to do but not done yet....
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
Matloughe
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Matloughe »

If i knew how to do them i would, but i can't :cry: lol,

What livery was you planning on doing these models in? The Current Coporate Livery or the older versions?
ImageImage
Barry
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Barry »

Thanks for all the encouragement. When my replacement monitor arrives, I'll continue working on them.

@Andel
If you want to convert a model of a 38TS, I won't complain (I was trying to do the curve of the cab roof for weeks, but couldn't get it to look right).

@Matloughe
With the colour scheme, I was tempted towards the method used by Andel, MD and IA in their BR set (where the schemes update based on the year). Given my texturing skills, though, don't be surprised if this becomes plain aluminium overall. Another thought was aluminium bodywork with the doors in company colours. I might start a poll soon and see what everyone thinks - any suggestions for this gratefully received!
Matloughe
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Matloughe »

Thats Cool,
If you do wanna ask anything about the Tube Stocks i'd be glad to give you any information you need. And As i Said before keep up the good work.
ImageImage
tubechallenger
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by tubechallenger »

Thing is, the 72TS is now OPO, plus are you doing refurb or non-refurb?
Matloughe
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Matloughe »

All LU stock is OPO now. Apart from the older Engineers Stock, i.e the 1903 CLR Motors, Remnants of the Standard Stock and CO/CP Stock.

This website might be of use to you:
http://metadyne.tripod.com/LUstockTypes.html

It contains informtaion about the majority of the 'modern' stocks, from the 38TS onwards.
ImageImage
tubechallenger
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by tubechallenger »

Installing OPO costed more than leaving it out as you had controls spreadnig around the whole coach for the guards, but in the Cs, Ds, 73s, the guard was always in the rear cab.
Hamish McTycoon
Engineer
Engineer

LU trains

Post by Hamish McTycoon »

Ooooh, this is undeniably exciting (sarcasm not intended)

I've been waiting for someone to make some decent LU trains for Lomo for a long time, so keep up the effort, and good luck!

I take it you're going to do the different models for each line? :D
yay and joy for evermore!
Barry
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Barry »

I'll try to answer as many questions as I can in this post, as I'm going to be away from my computer for the rest of the week.

I was planning on doing each stock based on the original spec (i.e. non-refurb) to start with. I'd assume that refurbed stuff would only need changes to the xml (I'll not even attempt to change the graphics to deal with inter-carriage safety barriers and high-intensity headlights, as I don't think you could even see these in lomo). Saying that, I will try to do a few different colour schemes.

Initially, I'm doing the 59/62 and 67/72 tube stocks. I'm currently detailing the initial models that I posted here - hence the delay since I last posted. I've also found some scale outline drawings of all current stocks on the TfL website, so I may do some of the later stocks in the future, although the 67/72 DM model will probably need to be re-done from scratch (my initial attempt was based on photos and written specs, but the drawings have shown it to be inaccurate).

I'd also like to do a 38TS, but as posted previously, I was having difficulty with the cab roof. I doubt I'll ever attempt to do anything earlier.

To the tube gurus amongst you: Are there any differences in the major dimensions between the 38 and 59? I know the cab roof is a different shape, but other than that, they look very similar in outline, and I'm sure I read somewhere that the 59 was basically an updated 38.

Apologies if I've missed a question and I'll be back here next week.
Matloughe
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Matloughe »

Thats is correct, the 59TS was based upon the 38TS, don't believe there were any major dimension changes due to the loading guage in the tunnels.

I would presume it was the same size, due to all of these stocks being based upon the 'Standard Stock' which did require the tunnels to be altered to improve clearances. So i would have though they were the same dimensions because of the expense of altering the tunnels.

I think that up to the 72ST were roughly the same size, as i know that the 73ST and 83TS were larger, designed to have the capacity of a 7-Car train in that of 6 Cars and these required some tunnels to be altered for clearance purposes.

I'll check my book and hopefully give you some more info soon.
ImageImage
Barry
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Barry »

Just to prove I have been working on these, here's the latest revision of the 59/62TS. The colours are not final - I've just used them to show the detail more clearly.

Hopefully I'll have the 67/72TS rebuilt later this week and then I'll try to get them all textured and rendered.
Attachments
59/62 DM and NDM/T
59/62 DM and NDM/T
59TS.jpg (20.98 KiB) Viewed 10556 times

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”