Map Creator (development stopped)

Got a nice scenario or saved game for Locomotion? Post it here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Map Creator (development stopped)

Post by Mek »

I don't want to hijack other people's thread, so i thought i start my own thread, with my own Locomotion Map Creator. It can be downloaded here.
In order to use it, you also need a donor scenario; a scenario without any towns/industries. You can download one from here, or create your own one.

I think I shouln't be explaining why i used Java, but i can already here certain people complaining, so i thougt i'd explain it anyway. Actualy it is quite simple, i'm using Java because:
- it's portable. I only have Linux on my computers, so it's bad enough having to run an emulator to play locomotion, i don't want to run an emulator to create/test my own programs.
- It's easy to make GUI's. It's true it isn't very difficult to create portable programs in for example C, but it is however very difficult to make portable programs with a nice GUI...
- It's very easy extendable. You can change parts of the without having to recompile anything, just plug in the new classes, and everything still works perfectly.
I don't want to start a flamewar... I just don't want to here comments on my choice of programming language.
Attachments
Part of the user interface
Part of the user interface
screenshot2.png (34.66 KiB) Viewed 26473 times
Part of the generated landscape
Part of the generated landscape
screenshot.png (61.86 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
Last edited by Mek on 27 Oct 2004 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
jules
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jules »

Erm appart form the fact that i have no idea how to run this :-D, is it possible to put more of the files into a subdirectory, just makes a rather messy folder.....
There is no ?
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

jules wrote:Erm appart form the fact that i have no idea how to run this :-D, is it possible to put more of the files into a subdirectory, just makes a rather messy folder.....
You should not decompress the jar file... If you have a proper java setup, you could just start the jar file... If not, you have to start "java -jar MapCreator.jar" (or perhaps javaw, i'm not too sure about that..)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Moved because it has A LOT more to do with scenarios that Graphics and Modding of Loco.
TheDaian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheDaian »

i've tried running this program every way possible (running from the windows command line thing, opening with mozilla, ect...) perhaps you could compile it into a much more easy to use .exe?
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Strange. I got it running in one attempt. Did you actually read any of this thread?
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

I fed it the attached donor scenario (slightly customised object set) and map image, and got an access violation + crash-to-desktop while trying to load the landscape. No towns, no roads, no industries.
Attachments
wales_cardiff.rar
The generated landscape
(63.14 KiB) Downloaded 878 times
Unless you have a good monitor, what you can't see is the Vale of Glamorgan coast.  This is 96x96, stretched out within the program.
Unless you have a good monitor, what you can't see is the Vale of Glamorgan coast. This is 96x96, stretched out within the program.
wales3.png (4.09 KiB) Viewed 27567 times
wales_donor.rar
The empty, donor landscape
(140.15 KiB) Downloaded 657 times
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
jules
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jules »

ChrisCF wrote:Strange. I got it running in one attempt. Did you actually read any of this thread?
Dude take a chill pill, it wont open if you have winace installed as it just opens it as a shortcut, and i can get "java -jar MapCreator.jar" or javaw to work.
There is no ?
ampz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ampz »

You probably need to install java.
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

ChrisCF wrote:I fed it the attached donor scenario (slightly customised object set) and map image, and got an access violation + crash-to-desktop while trying to load the landscape. No towns, no roads, no industries.
This is weird... I don't have any idea what could be causing this.. but i will investigate it; There must be something 'wrong' with the donor file, but what it is i don't know... However later this week i will release a new version, where you can also choose three built in donor files, one for each region. This way it shouldn't be necesairy to use your own donor files....
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

Just uploaded a new version. This version has 3 build in donor files, one for each region. So there's no more need for external donor files;
Also i've added some progressbars to this version, and a much more advanced image resizing/sampling algorithm, so maps from smaller images should look a lot smoother.[/url]
TheDaian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheDaian »

ChrisCF wrote:Strange. I got it running in one attempt. Did you actually read any of this thread?
i have read the thread to it's fullest, and even tried reading between the thread, under the thread, over the thread, and of course, outside and inside the thread.

i am running windows XP pro, with SP1 installed. i have not specificly installed java on this machine, which brings me to my next point.
ampz wrote:You probably need to install java.
that is probably the case. would anyone be willing to inform me about which java i should install? a quick look at http://java.sun.com provides seeminly 50 different download files.

i have no problem with people developing a useful program in java, but you have to know your audience. not everyone who wants to use this is running a java server on thier machine. again, making an .exe file out of it would be very useful for those of us who can't run a .jar file, and are too lazy to figure out how.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I've stickied this, I think it would be better here.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

TheDaian wrote:again, making an .exe file out of it would be very useful for those of us who can't run a .jar file, and are too lazy to figure out how.
That would entirely defeat the point of using Java :roll:
ampz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ampz »

TheDaian wrote:i have no problem with people developing a useful program in java, but you have to know your audience. not everyone who wants to use this is running a java server on thier machine. again, making an .exe file out of it would be very useful for those of us who can't run a .jar file, and are too lazy to figure out how.
There is a .exe available.
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=10713

orudge: May I ask why only one out of the two scenario generators got the honor of a sticky?
Last edited by ampz on 28 Sep 2004 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
kiop
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kiop »

that is probably the case. would anyone be willing to inform me about which java i should install? a quick look at http://java.sun.com provides seeminly 50 different download files.

A excelent freeware for execute MapCreator.jar under Windows XP ...

JavaEXE

(for runtime Java) i use this of sun.com :

JRE JAVA
Dan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Dan »

Can someone please make an exe, I looked 2 hours trying finding a working download location.(the sun download doesn't work) I tried getting it working for 2 hours with no avail, I used to have a really old version that worked well but it got deleted(it was not a java 2)
╔═════════════════╗
║░ГЯΔИ$PØЯГ Г¥¢ØØИ!░║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░║
╚═════════════════╝
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Dan wrote:(the sun download doesn't work)
Really? You mean the said same one I'm running on three computers over two operating systems? :roll:

I'm not trying to be funny here, but ffs get a clue.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

ampz wrote:orudge: May I ask why only one out of the two scenario generators got the honor of a sticky?
Because I didn't notice the other one. Both are stickied now. ;)
Dan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Dan »

ChrisCF wrote:
Dan wrote:(the sun download doesn't work)
Really? You mean the said same one I'm running on three computers over two operating systems? :roll:

I'm not trying to be funny here, but ffs get a clue.
It says to right click to download if I use internet explorer and select "save target as" but when I right click, save target is not an option(greyed out), I had to find it somewhere else.
EDIT: apperently the install put the program in the wrong folder so I moved it and it works! :D

PS: ChrisCF that was not very nice
Last edited by Dan on 29 Sep 2004 22:31, edited 2 times in total.
╔═════════════════╗
║░ГЯΔИ$PØЯГ Г¥¢ØØИ!░║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░║
╚═════════════════╝

Return to “Locomotion Scenarios and Saved Games”