Not able to instal Locomotion on new comp

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

DaveK
Engineer
Engineer

Not able to instal Locomotion on new comp

Post by DaveK »

Have played Locomotion for some time now Just love it. Have upgraded to dual core machine and find I can't instal game. When I hit the instal button nothing happens. :?:
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Not able to instal Locomotion on new comp

Post by andel »

What version of windows are you running? I run a Core Duo and a Core2Duo and have no issues on 32bit Windows Vista
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

I am running here a AMD64 DualCore and Vista and also no problems, some system specs are very helpfull :)
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
sarahagain
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sarahagain »

OK...

My guess is you have VISTA.....(But I was wrong! He has XP Pro... See post below! :roll: :lol: )

I would say that the "Windows paranoid android" has got involved.

So, You insert disk. It loads OK (or you click the right choice on the "Autorun" screen.)

You click "Install", the Hard Drive Light Flashes for a bit, and you think "now what, where's the installation screen?"

Now for the CLEVER BIT!

You must have the TASKBAR (at the bottom of the screen with the famous"Start" button (or Circular "Windows" Button as it is on Vista) on the Left hand side.) Visible.

There SHOULD be a Window button visible, possibly flashing. Left click on this. (USER ACCOUNT CONTROL is the paranoid Windows "service" doing this.) A window should then pop up with something along the lines of "Do you trust this program?", with Yes and No choices. Click Yes (IF YOU ARE SURE! :shock: ) and the installer should leap into action.

(I have had this problem Installing from CDs etc. with Vista.... :roll: )
Last edited by sarahagain on 06 Sep 2007 17:38, edited 2 times in total.
DaveK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DaveK »

Sorry guys should have given you more specs.

Running XP Pro
AMD Athlon 64x2DCP 4600+
2.41 GHz
2.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

Thanks all for your quick response. Previous machine also ran XP Pro, just can't understand why it won't install on this one. When I load the CD the initial setup window opens, I press the install option, this window closes and then nothing.

Dave
MjD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MjD »

I would recommend turning User Account Control off but only do this if you have some idea of what you are doing with a PC.

Also do you know if your windows profile is an administrator? Cos this could have an impact on whether the install will work or not.

MD
::::: WIP -- British Rail Set [BRS] for Locomotion with IA, andel, matloughe, Barry and Jonnie :::::
Researcher for the TTDP BRSet Team. Which is here.
DaveK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DaveK »

Thanks MajorD

Profile is set to administrator. Have another problem also can not log on to local network group at home. Would User Account Control affect this as well :?: Have not disabled User Account Control before how is this done ?

Dave
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

XP doesnt have that ;)
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Barry
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Barry »

As the others have said, XP doesn't have User Access Control, so that won't be causing problems.

Bearing in mind what you've said about the CD starting and being able to select the installer, I'd suggest two possibilities:

1) The installer is crashing "silently" (basically, it crashes, but without any message appearing on screen)
2) The installer isn't able to run (could be rights or security related) - if this is the case, you'd probably struggle to get any other installers running.

What I would do is go to "Start", then "Run" and type in "eventvwr" (without the quotes). Click "OK". When the Event Viewer starts up, check both the Application and System logs and see if you get any messages at the same time as you try to install Locomotion.

If the installer can't run due to rights or security, you're probably best off checking the local security policies. I'm not in front of an XP Pro machine at the moment, so I can't double-check this information. From memory, go to "Start", "Run" and type in "secpol.msc" (without the quotes) before clicking "OK". The local security policy screen should appear and you should then be able to check the different policies in place. I can't remember what the sections are called, or what settings are available, but I'm sure that there are rights to do with being able to run programmes, etc.

Another thing that I've just thought of is that the enhanced security option in Internet Explorer can sometimes make installers struggle - we've had this happen at work. If you've got enhanced security turned on, it may be worth switching it off and trying the installer again.

HTH
Barry
DaveK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DaveK »

Thanks Barry

Tried your suggestions to no avail.

The only thing Event Viewer showed was a time out error when it gave up trying to load.
Couldn't find anything to do with "rights to do with being able to run programs" though.
IE Security seems to be set to medium.

Have been able to reload all my other games (Company of Heroes, Command and Conquer etc). So I installed Locomotion on my wifes machine just to eliminate a disc problem and it installs ok. (She's out today so I'm going to spend some time "testing", just to make sure, you know).

Have thought of reinstalling XP as the initial install was done at my son-in-law's. There may be something in the way he has set it up that is incompatible with my situation. This may also fix the LAN problem.

Just want to thank you all for you help

Dave

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”