32bpp-extra: a new openttdcoop project!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

32bpp-extra: a new openttdcoop project!

Post by GeekToo »

To avoid problems with the 32bpp replacement of sprites in ogfxe_extra / openttdw.grf, I decided to start a new project on the Openttcoop devzone (thanks Ammler and Planetmaker for your great support):

http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/32bpp-extra
http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/32bpp-extra/

Goals of the project:
-create a newgrf file that is the base for the 32bpp replacement sprites numbering. This will solve the foundation, coast and catenary problems (incompatible numbering between original graphics and OpenGFX), so it works for everybody.
-32bpp sprites to go with the newgrf, intention is to provide a pack for extra zoom level and one for default zoom level
-provide an automatic bundle, so the download pack is updated automatically on the server, every time new graphics are added.
-furthermore it is possible to cooperate on larger packs, because it uses Mercurial (vcs), and issue tracking

It is still in startup phase, but if you're interested in e.g. pngcodecing for the pack, or updating the newgrf, or providing nice graphics, please consider joining the project, a lot of work is still to be done.

The project is not intended to be a replacement of Jupix' repository, it has a different scope: the way I see it, the Jupix repository can still be a resource for graphics artists, uploading art work in various stages of development, divided into more or less atomic units of graphics.
The 32bpp-extra project is intended for end-users: bundling several finished pngs for easy download, that work both for opengfx- and original graphics users.

To avoid later problems and extremely boring license discussions, I think it is best to set the licence straight away: only artwork that is released under GPL will be allowed in the project.

You can download the nightlies from the bundle page, unzip and put the resulting tar in the data directory, no need to untar.
Or you can use Mercurial (hg) to clone the repo, and build the stuff for yourself.

Give it a try, and please file any problems on the issue tracker of the project
Last edited by Jupix on 02 Mar 2012 13:32, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Un-Stickied
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 32bpp-extra: a new openttdcoop project!

Post by Wasila »

Exactly what I was trying to get done before...

Already posted this twice but for ease of use I'll mention this here.
Artists who have agreed to use GPLv2:

Ben_Robbins_ ("I'm stating now that all sprites which I have posted here (tt-forum) as a .tar file are GPLv2. Preview images and .rar's, unless I have otherwise stated, are just for previews, and are here to gather opinions, but are not publicly released, and not for cutting up/reassembling. Any files which I post onto Jupix's file repository or the wiki are GPLv2 likewise.")

GeekToo ("I release any tars or png files I've uploaded in this forum or on Jupix repository up til this moment under the GPL-2 and GPL-3 licence. I grant permission to any user of this forum or OpenTTD developer to redistribute them in a larger graphics pack or to modify them as needed. This includes also the toolbar tar, for which I have JoeD's permission to use the sprites he created.
One exception: the town houses that I created (viewtopic.php?p=722362#p722362) are a derivative work of DMC_Mac's work, maybe not recognizable as such. I do have his permission to modify and distribute that, but he released his work under the CC-BY-SA licence, so I'm bound to that for redistribution, and you'll have to contact him if you want to relicence it.")

maquinista (“Yes, You can use all my graphics under GPL, since most of my contributions are Creative Commons BY or CC BY SA.”)

Varivar (“I've been quite busy with school last weeks and I didn't have much time to follow the discussion on the forums. You can use my works under GPL v2 or CC-BY-SA 3.0, just the one that suites.”)
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

And ArmEagle can be added to the list:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=848315#p848315
which is interesting because the catenary is in the extra file.

Problems in the current replacement for the extra.grf may be the foundations by GT1750 (did not see any license info), and the signals by Wotan (cc-nc if I recall correctly).
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

ArmEagle's catenary has been added to the projects repository. The next nightly will contain the 32bpp-sprites, so the catenary works for both OpenGfx and Original graphics.

For the trackers: together with the temperate coast tiles the total number now is 84 png, 52 of them are z0 files. The total number needed for the extra grf is 3340.
Attachments
Warston Transport, 25th Nov 1982.png
Warston Transport, 25th Nov 1982.png (309.9 KiB) Viewed 14290 times
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

geektoo, any chance you can sort this project and the wiki entries for me
you know how anal i am about it :lol: and those triple foundations links there make my finger itch :evil:
Xand
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Xand »

That is a general problem for sprites in the ogfxe_extra set, and the reason why I started this project:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=47288
If you list the sprites that have that problem, and if they are licensed under GPL-v2 I can add them to the project, to end the renumbering problem once and for all.
sprites.PNG
sprites.PNG (5.21 KiB) Viewed 14106 times
These are the sprites I'm talking about. When downloading Airports.tar from the Jupix Repo, the sprites are in the ogfxe_extra. However I don't think sprites 3553 till 3558 are being used. I have never seen vertical landingstrips.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Xand wrote:
That is a general problem for sprites in the ogfxe_extra set, and the reason why I started this project:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=47288
If you list the sprites that have that problem, and if they are licensed under GPL-v2 I can add them to the project, to end the renumbering problem once and for all.
sprites.PNG
These are the sprites I'm talking about. When downloading Airports.tar from the Jupix Repo, the sprites are in the ogfxe_extra. However I don't think sprites 3553 till 3558 are being used. I have never seen vertical landingstrips.
These sprites could be used with the new airports patch.

I will try to recode the signals. If they are coded in the same order, it would need only a batch file that I can make with a C code.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Thanks Maquinista, for offering your help, you may even consider to join the project.
The problem with the foundation and signal sprite is not the coding, I'm already preparing a new version of the grf, but with the license. The Wotan signals do not work anymore in the megapack, except for the block signals, but are not licenced under GPL (CC-BY-NC IIRC). The foundation sprite problems can be solved too, but GT1750 will have to license them under GPL too, currently no license available.

BTW, I am preparing the airport sprites, but could not really find which one are yours and which ones are LordAzamaths, because the bat-file do not correspond with the png numbers anymore. I know you licensed under GPL, but I'm not sure about LordAzamath. I know, licensing stuff is boring, but I do want to keep a completely consistent and legal set, to avoid problems later. And if that means that some graphics will be added later, or will have to be replaced by others, sobeit. Contantly improving quality and keeping a completely legal set is more important imho than adding sprites without taking care of legal stuff. We only need one graphics authors that objects against the current megapack, and we can't use it at all anymore, and I'd like to prevent that in this set.
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

i believe this is also something that should be considered for the project:
Xand wrote:In the topic "Tropical issues" http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=47362, I mentioned a building that as soon as it was done building, it would revert back to the 8-bit version. The required sprites were in the correct directory, but upon deeper delving into the grf files it appears that the finished building is in 2 grf files, namely in trg1r.grf as sprite 4607 and in openttdw.grf as sprite 2245. Renaming the sprite to 2245 and moving it from the directory trg1r to openttdw solved the problem.

Upon further inspection the problem also exist for the cinema. In trg1r.grf the cinema is numbered as 4404-4405 and in openttdw.grf as 2206-2208. Ehm correction, 2206 should be 2207. Grfcodec gave the wrong sprite number again.
openttdw.grf.PNG
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

I have updated the road arrows, the tram tracks, the foundations, and the signals.

I will upload them to the repository. Also, I'm updating the monorail tracks with the latest ground tiles, with lines and without them.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Added the theatre to the set. The next nighly will contain the sprites for it and the necessary newgrf update.

http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/32b ... a/activity
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

theater? isnt theater is part of the ogfx1_base set?
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Yes, but it is replaced in openttdw.grf with action A, and not present in ogfxe_extra.grf. So the spritenr would correspond to openttdw when using original graphics, and with ogfx_base when using opengfx. So I needed to add it to the 32bpp-extra.grf for it to always appear correctly.
Same thing probably is valid for the tropic house, it's also present in openttw.grf
Xand
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Xand »

GeekToo wrote:Yes, but it is replaced in openttdw.grf with action A, and not present in ogfxe_extra.grf. So the spritenr would correspond to openttdw when using original graphics, and with ogfx_base when using opengfx. So I needed to add it to the 32bpp-extra.grf for it to always appear correctly.
Same thing probably is valid for the tropic house, it's also present in openttw.grf
Correct, this holds true for both. However this form of redundancy serves no purpose. Maybe we should ask the openttd developers to remove the sprites from openttdw.grf.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

If I interpret the openttdw.nfo file comment correctly, it is because the original sprites were not aligned correctly.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Xand wrote:However this form of redundancy serves no purpose.
It's true, it serves no purpose but fixing alignment bugs in the original graphics. For more information take a look at http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=34870 which is basically the NewGRF we put into openttd[dw].grf.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

The tram tracks are updated here:
Attachments
tram_tracks.tar
Tram tracks updated.
(799.5 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Thanks,

Added to the project, http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/32b ... visions/20

The nightly just passed, so they will be included in tomorrows nightly.
sweetdude
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sweetdude »

maquinista wrote:The tram tracks are updated here:
If it is not to much to ask. Could you also please add the end of line tracks for dirt? The end of line tracks for the road surface are sprites 1642, 1643, 1644 and 1645. But the dirt counterparts are missing :(
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

GeekToo wrote:Thanks,

Added to the project, http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/32b ... visions/20

The nightly just passed, so they will be included in tomorrows nightly.
you added only the extra sprites or all of the signal sprites?
in other words to make signal work, i need to download only this new grf or the Repo version that includes the ogfx1_base sprites as well?

Return to “Graphics Development”