Gold Rush [32 bpp mod]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Benjaminius
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Unofficial desert tiles [32 bpp Extra zoom levels]

Post by Benjaminius »

I think you should create a simple project site/blog where you could evolve the project and collect a team.
Then you can link to this thread and use it as a devblog :-)

These kind of "huge" projects usually won't get finished due to a lack of time / team but i dont want to be pessimistic!

The biggest problem I have with transport tycoon at all is the fact that there are no good scenario maps.
Don't get me wrong I like the game, its fun but after one our I ask myself: "Why do I play this? Whats the goal?"

Do you have any ideas how to make your "mod" more interesting than the original openttd?
That (fun to play) would definitively fit to the great graphics of this mod ;-) :bow:
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Benjaminius wrote:I think you should create a simple project site/blog where you could evolve the project and collect a team.
Then you can link to this thread and use it as a devblog :-)

These kind of "huge" projects usually won't get finished due to a lack of time / team but i dont want to be pessimistic!

The biggest problem I have with transport tycoon at all is the fact that there are no good scenario maps.
Don't get me wrong I like the game, its fun but after one our I ask myself: "Why do I play this? Whats the goal?"

Do you have any ideas how to make your "mod" more interesting than the original openttd?
That (fun to play) would definitively fit to the great graphics of this mod ;-) :bow:
I've actually been working quite a lot lately so there's a lot of art that I haven't posted here. I don't want people to grow tired of the project by spamming new images all the time. :)

Creating some kind of site seems like a great idea. Maybe it would be easier for people to get a good overview. Also, I will most likely need help with the coding process, because I think it will be too time consuming since I have very little knowledge about .nfo and hex editing.

One thing I agree about is the "no goal" thing. Right now, it's basically a sandbox. Another problem is that Transport Tycoon suffers heavily from the snowball effect; It can be really hard in the beginning, but after a while you can basically do whatever you want. This makes people quit the game after 10 years or so.

To address these issues, I would like to:

1) Add victory conditions, such as "Get a population of 10,000 in city x", "Deliver Y tons of cargo X", "Get Outstanding local authority rating in 10 cities", "Build a railroad between cities X and Y", "Found 5 new steel mills" etc.

2) Make the game change more over time by adding "events" such as gold rushes and civil wars, that affects interest, factory production etc. Some industry chains will become obsolete, and new, more prosperious, industry chains will appear. A player that just leaves the game running in the background should lose his momentum after a while.

3) Give the player more options. Let's face it, very few players actually use ships. But what if there were cargo that only could be delivered by boat? For example, I'm thinking of adding a new "factory" called "Whales", simular to the Offshore Platform. The player will be able to build whaling boats to transport these whales, which then can be converted into Oil and Food.

I'm also thinking about adding very specialized vehicles, such as cable trams and "steam horses", that only should be used in very hilly locations.

4) One thing that would be very cool is to have some kind of "unlock feature", so that you have to complete each scenario before the next one becomes available. I have no idea if this will become possible (and it's probably not worth asking for either, since the usual respond is "Do it yourself or keep your mouth shut :) ).

Anyway, it's great to see that so many people are interested in this project. Hopefully this can increase the chances of some features becoming available.

I guess I'll add some newer screenshots as well:
Coast2.jpg
(964.95 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
newstation.jpg
(891.33 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Hakker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hakker »

Well I got nothing constuctive to say but this...

This is... uhm... WOW!!!! Really this is simply amazing stuff.
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

looks like a different game :shock:
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Now this feature will need A LOT of tweaking, but what do you think of it?
RoundedTracks.jpg
RoundedTracks.jpg (150.18 KiB) Viewed 3469 times

I'm not sure how well this will work with the offsets though, I'll have to do some more research.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Bad_Brett wrote:Now this feature will need A LOT of tweaking, but what do you think of it?
RoundedTracks.jpg

I'm not sure how well this will work with the offsets though, I'll have to do some more research.
It looks interesting.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

Bad_Brett wrote: I've actually been working quite a lot lately so there's a lot of art that I haven't posted here. I don't want people to grow tired of the project by spamming new images all the time. :)
I assure you, the effect will be quite the opposite. ;)
#################
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Which sprites are you overlaying to get that effect?
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Zephyris wrote:Which sprites are you overlaying to get that effect?
Well, every track must overlay the previous one in a way or another. Every track will have curves in all directions, and the one in front of it must cover the unused parts. It's a dirty solution, it's incredibly frustating to do the sprites and they don't even look that good. I feel like an idiot. But I have to see if it's possible. :twisted:
RoundedTracks2.jpg
RoundedTracks2.jpg (238.75 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Bad_Brett wrote:
Well, every track must overlay the previous one in a way or another. Every track will have curves in all directions, and the one in front of it must cover the unused parts. It's a dirty solution, it's incredibly frustating to do the sprites and they don't even look that good. I feel like an idiot. But I have to see if it's possible. :twisted:
RoundedTracks2.jpg
Well, if you can do something about the dirt bump between sections of rail, it'll look good. IM liking this idea and I hope you develope it further
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Bad_Brett wrote:
I think that is a very elegant soloution to the issue! I wonder if it would work for 8bpp sprites too...
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

NekoMaster wrote: Well, if you can do something about the dirt bump between sections of rail, it'll look good. IM liking this idea and I hope you develope it further
I think it's impossible to make it look perfect... There will always be dirty solutions such as plants and rocks covering certain parts as well as baords facing the wrong directions...

But, since this mod is all about dirt, it may still look okay...

I'll do some further testing later.
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Zephyris wrote: I wonder if it would work for 8bpp sprites too...
I would think, this is rather something about the zoom level than the amount of colors, isn't it?

Bad_Brett: maybe you should also post some normal zoom level screens for the people not able to use ez patch.
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Ammler wrote:
Zephyris wrote: I wonder if it would work for 8bpp sprites too...
I would think, this is rather something about the zoom level than the amount of colors, isn't it?

Bad_Brett: maybe you should also post some normal zoom level screens for the people not able to use ez patch.
Good point I'll try to do that. Though right now I've only saved most sprites in one zoom level. Also, I think that this mod should be played with extra zoom levels. Remember that it will begin in 1830, so the vehicles will run much slower and carry less cargo.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Bad_Brett wrote:Good point I'll try to do that. (...) Also, I think that this mod should be played with extra zoom levels.
But you never zoom out for an overview of the map? That's where the normal zoom level sprites would be used - and providing them explicitly definitely would be better than having the programme do some scale-down conversion.
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

planetmaker wrote: But you never zoom out for an overview of the map? That's where the normal zoom level sprites would be used - and providing them explicitly definitely would be better than having the programme do some scale-down conversion.
Well, of course I will do them sooner or later. :) But the thing with this project is that it's kind of like laying a puzzle... If I change one sprite, other sprites may have to be modified. Therefore it's smoother to just work in with zoom level, and add the z1 and z2 sprites when I'm sure that no more changes will be done.

I've also had some ideas about adding a really thin layer of fog on the z2 sprites, we'll see how it will turn out.
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Wait a minute... I just realised that the new 8bpp graphics pack has animated water tiles. I thought that was impossible? How can I do it?

Also, I can't seem to find this sprite (as well as the other "junctions"):
Junction.jpg
Junction.jpg (22.44 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
One would suspect that the junctions are created with a combination of the sprites 1005-1010 in trg1r, but that won't work.

Anyway, I've done some more work on my rounded tracks and I'm beginning to think that it actually may work for this specific tile set. Sure, there will be visible patterns when you zoom out, but since I'm doing everything else so different from the original, I might as well stick with this. At least it may serve as some inspiration to other artists.
RoundedTracks3.png
RoundedTracks3.png (533.5 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
Small update:
RoundedTracks4.jpg
RoundedTracks4.jpg (868.72 KiB) Viewed 795 times
There are still a lot of errors and it will take hours to fix them, but it does seem to work. Now I just have to do the elevated tiles as well.
StopRightThere
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by StopRightThere »

When will we see a preliminary download? :D
Bye Bye OpenBVE :(
Official TT-Hot young ginger Doctor Who assistant FanClub
Formerly known as AdditionalData
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

StopRightThere wrote:When will we see a preliminary download? :D
It's still rather far off in the future, I'm afraid. Eventually I will need help with coding the sprites (or learn how to do it myself, in which case it will take even longer).

But, someone asked me to a little gameplay video, and that shouldn't take too long. Also, I'm planning to set up some kind of webpage that will make it easier for people too get an overview over the project. :)
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

Unless you have somewhere already, ask owen (orudge) for some here with the forums. Free up to about 100mb i think as long as its to do with tt
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722

Return to “Graphics Development”