Replacement Graphics - Toyland Statue

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

emjay
Engineer
Engineer

Replacement Graphics - Toyland Statue

Post by emjay »

Hi All,

This thread is for comments about my attempt to make a statue for the Replacement Graphics Project.

This will be for sprite 4964 of opengfx1r.grf - Toyland: Statue

At this point my plan is to make a Jester statue, but I don't have a great amount of time so progress may be slow (sadly).

I'm building a model in Sketchup, then I plan to take a render and resize/recolour in Photoshop/GIMP.

Anyone have any suggestions/comments?

Reference material:
jester2.jpg
jester2.jpg (119.04 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
jester4.jpg
jester4.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Replacement Graphics - Toyland Statue

Post by Purno »

Nice idea, but I'd make it colorful, that fits Toyland :mrgreen:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Good to see some interest in drawing for OpenGFX!

Please don't spend too much time/effort on the details, because the final 8bpp sprite can't be very detailed either.
emjay
Engineer
Engineer

Post by emjay »

Purno wrote:Nice idea, but I'd make it colorful, that fits Toyland :mrgreen:
I originally thought I'd leave it grey (as in stone) like the original Toyland Statue, but colourful is a good idea, like this?
jester1.jpg
jester1.jpg (100.65 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
FooBar wrote:Good to see some interest in drawing for OpenGFX!

Please don't spend too much time/effort on the details, because the final 8bpp sprite can't be very detailed either.
If only I were a better artist :P

I just hope my incredibly rough model isn't noticably rough in the 8bpp sprite.

On a related note, does anyone know how to do a "professional" render in sketchup?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Yeah, that statue looks way more Toylandish :)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

"professional" sketchup renders are nearly impossible... you will have a lot more success exporting to a different 3d program...

Return to “Graphics Development”